12 V problem (1 Viewer)

loz

Free Member
Feb 2, 2009
Funster No
Having problems with 12V system. I learnt the i needed to charge the leisure battery so i changed the battery with a just charged spare . this was a week ago. got motorhome out of storage and on a pitch just for saturday night to try things out. during the day and evening the battery charge indcator went from fully charged to not alot.all the lights and pump gradually stopped .the recent changed battery is only 2 years old and was fully charged .i thought that when on hook up the leisure battrey was being charged.is there a problem with the in built charging unit .when i put the van back into storage the next day the short drive seemed to put some charge into the leisure battery , does driving the van also provide a charge to the leisure battery. when i swopped the battery last week i touched the - terminal with the +lead and g:Smile:ot a small spark would this have caused the problem.help would be much appreciated .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Having problems with 12V system. I learnt the i needed to charge the leisure battery so i changed the battery with a just charged spare . this was a week ago. got motorhome out of storage and on a pitch just for saturday night to try things out. during the day and evening the battery charge indcator went from fully charged to not alot.all the lights and pump gradually stopped .the recent changed battery is only 2 years old and was fully charged .i thought that when on hook up the leisure battrey was being charged.is there a problem with the in built charging unit .when i put the van back into storage the next day the short drive seemed to put some charge into the leisure battery , does driving the van also provide a charge to the leisure battery. when i swopped the battery last week i touched the - terminal with the +lead and g:Smile:ot a small spark would this have caused the problem.help would be much appreciated .

Hi Loz, I would say that the most likely explanation is still a knacked leisure battery. Even fully charged if it is discharging after such a short time. Two years is nothing really, Ive had some last longer and others only 12 months.

You are gonna probably need a new batttery at some point so I would probably go this route, however you could just check the leisure battery is charging when on hook up ot make sure your charging system is charging. and yes whilst driving you will charge the battery as you will on hook up.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
touching the wires together causing a spark will have blown a fuse in the charging circuit. plus something is using a lot of power if it went from full to empty in one day, I'd suspect a short maybe caused by overheating when you sparked the cables or maybe chewed through by mice. can you check with a ammeter for a discharge with everything switched off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
good suggestions by haganap but it might be worth just checking the inline fuse on the mains side of the charging:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
i hope you come back and tell us all what the problem is/was loz. I think you have some good answers but am still going for the knacked battery because, it discharged so quickly, meaning regardless of any blown fuses, it discharged way too quickly to be decent.

:ROFLMAO: I love these detective posts::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Check all fuses first , there should also be a fuse near the battery to check. Disconnect the leisure battery and put a multi-meter on the battery power lead terminals (not the battery) , this will tell you if the charger is reaching the battery. If showing approx 13v at terminals (when on hookup :roflmto: ) it would point to your battery be knackered.

Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

loz

Free Member
Feb 2, 2009
Funster No
12 v

I let u know when i get it sorted ,haganap.thanks for the replys

Join us or log in to post a reply.