12 V problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by loz, Mar 15, 2009.

  1. loz

    loz Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Having problems with 12V system. I learnt the i needed to charge the leisure battery so i changed the battery with a just charged spare . this was a week ago. got motorhome out of storage and on a pitch just for saturday night to try things out. during the day and evening the battery charge indcator went from fully charged to not alot.all the lights and pump gradually stopped .the recent changed battery is only 2 years old and was fully charged .i thought that when on hook up the leisure battrey was being charged.is there a problem with the in built charging unit .when i put the van back into storage the next day the short drive seemed to put some charge into the leisure battery , does driving the van also provide a charge to the leisure battery. when i swopped the battery last week i touched the - terminal with the +lead and g:Smile:ot a small spark would this have caused the problem.help would be much appreciated .
    .
     
  2. haganap

    haganap Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Messages:
    11,069
    Likes Received:
    13,677
    Location:
    Heavan
    Hi Loz, I would say that the most likely explanation is still a knacked leisure battery. Even fully charged if it is discharging after such a short time. Two years is nothing really, Ive had some last longer and others only 12 months.

    You are gonna probably need a new batttery at some point so I would probably go this route, however you could just check the leisure battery is charging when on hook up ot make sure your charging system is charging. and yes whilst driving you will charge the battery as you will on hook up.
     
  3. Wildman

    Wildman Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Messages:
    15,458
    Likes Received:
    8,598
    Location:
    Ilfracombe, Devon
    touching the wires together causing a spark will have blown a fuse in the charging circuit. plus something is using a lot of power if it went from full to empty in one day, I'd suspect a short maybe caused by overheating when you sparked the cables or maybe chewed through by mice. can you check with a ammeter for a discharge with everything switched off?
     
  4. wildcamper

    wildcamper Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Merseyside
    good suggestions by haganap but it might be worth just checking the inline fuse on the mains side of the charging:thumb:
     
  5. Gonewiththewind

    Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Messages:
    854
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Lancashire
    Or maybe a switch some where, perhaps wardrobe.:Eeek:
     
  6. haganap

    haganap Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Messages:
    11,069
    Likes Received:
    13,677
    Location:
    Heavan
    i hope you come back and tell us all what the problem is/was loz. I think you have some good answers but am still going for the knacked battery because, it discharged so quickly, meaning regardless of any blown fuses, it discharged way too quickly to be decent.

    :Rofl1: I love these detective posts:BigGrin:
     
  7. C.L.S

    C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2007
    Messages:
    410
    Likes Received:
    49
    Check all fuses first , there should also be a fuse near the battery to check. Disconnect the leisure battery and put a multi-meter on the battery power lead terminals (not the battery) , this will tell you if the charger is reaching the battery. If showing approx 13v at terminals (when on hookup :Laughing: ) it would point to your battery be knackered.

    Mark
     
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. loz

    loz Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    12 v

    I let u know when i get it sorted ,haganap.thanks for the replys
     
Loading...

Share This Page