12 month tour

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by swidy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. swidy

swidy Funster

Hello and good evening to everyone, Well we have finally taken the 1st step to doing some full/long timing, we have applied for a 12 month career break starting on the 17th of October, we toured in France and Spain for 33 days last year and loved it so we thought, we are not getting any younger lets give it a go. we have a Auto trail Cheyenne 696g, we are really nervous at the moment but quite giddy as well. will be looking through your site for ideas and information, to get the best out of what we are going to do. look forward to speaking with some of you in the future.
    Nigel and Sue

• Like Like x 22
  2. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

:BigGrin: Brilliant decision, life is too short. You will have an amazing time I am sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

hello.jpg welcome.jpg

Good luck and safe travels. We are retiring early but can't do as you are - family responsibilities....... so I hope you do a blog and we can all follow your adventures!

4. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Good luck with your travels and sure you will have a fantastic time. As Puddleduck says do a blog so all can follow your adventures. We had a MH the same model as yours until just before I retired. It had very comfortable driving seats so good for long trips away.

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Fantastic, you won't regret it, as Chillbeanz says life too short. There are a few of us on here following the same road, plenty more room for another.

• Like Like x 2
  6. f6c

f6c Funster

ENJOY(y)

7. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Hello and welcome :welc:

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Good times ahead decision made, now the fun starts lots of information on here, maybe pencil in Morocco between December and March , have a read of the Morocco threads see if you fancy it cheap to live and sun, any of those that have done it would happily give advice, so much to do and see the year will fly by. Keep us all updated, have you got a fun sticker in your van that way when you are travelling if you bump into a Funster immediate Ice Breaker. Happy Travels.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Good luck with your adventure :)

What are your plans as very interested, a year on the road a loooong time.
    Personally would avoid southern Med during high summer (good over winter destination though) and head to Scandinavia during their shortish summer. Greece would be nice and take in some islands etc...Croatia and Italy.. Oh what fun!lol Cant wait until wife retires:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
  10. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome. All this travelling is new to me and I am loving it. Started out in Jan 2014 and have no intention of stopping yet. You will have a great time. Can't offer any advice on 'abroad' as I am still in uk and lots more to see yet !

• Like Like x 2
  11. LilacMoss

LilacMoss Funster

Hi...and welcome :hi: Hope you do manage to find time to do a blog so we can follow your adventures too. In the meantime, can I suggest you read up on as many blogs as you can..including all the info & advice on here...its surprising how much information and tips you pick up on in a very short period of time...but most importantly...just enjoy yourselves along the way.:smiley:

12. Shazrick

Shazrick Funster

:welc: and Enjoy

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

My son of on a south America 5 month adventure in a few weeks
    he is hopeless at best of times at keeping in touch:( but a blog just maybe a chance of following his progress. Can anyone recommend a blog software package please..or does it work like that...

14. swidy

swidy Funster

Hi to you all,
    Thank you for all your replies, The plan so far although can be subject to change as advice comes in, is to get the ferry from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander/Bilbao, travel along the north west coast of Spain head down to Portugal/Algarve. along the south coast taking in Gibraltar, I was there 35 years ago don't think it will have changed much though. we will stay in the Murcia region for Christmas and start making our way northwards, getting back to the UK at the end of June once the ACSI period has ended lol, then Cornwall, Wales and the lakes for the rest of the time, that's all we have planned so far, but like I said its going to be, what we want, when we want, if we want etc.
    I've done a blog with Google Blogger from when we got our first motorhome, please have a quick look and let me have your comments good and bad its http://www.mdljswift.blogspot.co.uk/ we will probably continue with that blog although I am sure there are easier blog site to use. 215 days to the off, I fitted a new solar panel last week, I love all the preparation's.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Blogger and MarsEdit for offline updating....

• Like Like x 1
  16. swidy

swidy Funster

Good Morning everyone
    205 days to go
    New LED lights fitted all around the moho, carpet coming out next week in favour of cushion floor. Dog passport sorted. Insurance cover sorted with caravan and camping club for 365 use abroad. any advice on breakdown cover as CCC only cover for 60 days.
    Did anyone look at my blog, I did say I would take bad comments as well as good lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

U Hello welcome to fun :)
    Had a look at your blog, all looks good to us. We use blogger too, seems to work well.
    Will follow your travels, always interested when people have dogs, we have three so good to get tips on dog friendly places.
    We got our MH last June, did 43 days in Spain and Portugal Oct to Dec. Back out now since 25th Feb in Spain hopefully 12 weeks travelling this time.
    Good luck on your adventure.
    Ps we use safeguard for insurance it covers 365 days abroad and also includes breakdown for same.

Lin & Nige

18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Hi @swidy , If I may comment..........

I don't know if you have a particular 'setting' turned on but the blog seems to open up in one massive page...... not a real problem but would affect people with low data rate because all the pages load at once. I think you might benefit from more photo's and less text? this is of course a personal issue and depends on why you have written the blog in the first place! I have done a few and they have been primarily for my family and friends so are sometimes 'personal' by nature. However if your blog is also for the benefit of others it might help to 'get to the point' with less words and more pictures :)

I think one of the problems when writing a blog is working out what to leave out and what to put in! It can often become more of a diary (no problem with that but might not hold the readers attention?). I think it is important to avoid such an epic that the reader loses interest (hence more photo's, less text:D)

What I have tried to do with mine is try and provide the reader with a quick and easy insight into what can be seen or experienced even without visiting the area themselves.......... I.E. straight in with the stuff that matters!

Lastly if you set the default screen to a wider page with bigger text it would help the older readers (like me :()

I say all this in the best spirit by the way, but you did ask;) Enjoy your travels (love the canal boat:))

Cheers (y)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  19. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. swidy

swidy Funster

I take on board what you said chockswahay, I didn't do the blog for any other reason than to remind my self where I have been lol.
    You are correct less chatter and more pics, I'm not sure how to separate the headings into separate bits but ill have a look. I've took your comments in the spirit they were intended I'm not easily offended lol

• Like Like x 1