1000's of Drivers Facing £1000 Fines

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thousands of drivers risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

This absolute fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998 are now expiring. When I passed my test I got a driving licence. It meant I was responsible and competent to drive. End of story, I already paid £50 for a licence, why should I pay another £17.50 to keep it. Yet another of Gordons stealth taxes:Angry:

Official DVLA figures show that while 16,136 expired late last year, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding; these will be fined up to £1000.

With 300,000 licences due to expire this year alone, and 25million licences out there, I imagine a few extra million heading Gordons way, he is on a win-win, he gets tens of millions if you renew and hundreds of millions if you don't:Doh:

Check item 4b on your licence, this is your renewal date, get your cheque book ready:RollEyes:

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Cheers Jim,

Not a lot of people know that.Me included.Got me worried there for a minute.

They should be sending out reminder/RENEWAL notices......

Or is that too much trouble for the computer that's spending all it's processing power fining people who don't SORN or tax their vehicle in time.:Angry:

Big Brother wants your money NOW......

Just found this.It does say a reminder will be sent.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf229.pdf

Need a new or updated licence : Directgov - Motoring

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. passionwagon

passionwagon Read Only Funster

:Eek!:Sorry but another misquote. The licence is always valid until 70. It is the photograph that needs to be renewed and for which the penalty applies.:Eek!:

4. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I started a thread on this subject a few weeks ago, and like you I read the details on the web site which stated that it was the Photo that expired and the licence lasted until you were 70 subject to any medical conditions etc.

But if you actually look at the details on the back of the plastic licence 4a - Licence valid From 4b Licence Valid To. it mentions nothing about the photo just that the date under 4b is when your licence expires

Thats the goverments ability to keep us all informed, they can't even get that right what hope do we have ??

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Not so. Your right to a licence remains, but the licence is NOT always valid. The licence becomes "invalid" after 10 years. 4b is the "valid to" date.

6. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I must be one of the lucky ones. I did not bother getting a photo license.
    I still have the paper license and mine will last me until I am 70 years old without having to renew at all, providing I do not move house and need to update.
    Got no intention of moving house, so will continue to keep paper license until the government decides that everyone must have a picture license.

7. robrobc

robrobc Read Only Funster

I am with you on this one Jim.
    I must say though that even by Gordon Brown's measurement of stealthy unjust taxation, this one is a belter.
    In excess of a quarter of a billion every 10 years for allowing people to do what they were doing already is by any means sneaky.
    Still we all know that sooner or later we will be ticking the ballot papers :BigGrin:

8. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Don't be harsh on GB he needs the money to bail out the banks:Rofl1:

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Mine runs out every three years:cry:but I believe the renewal is FREE:thumb:

Peter

10. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

Is it FREE and if it is how is GB making on it?

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its not free no fee is payable if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over, the rest of us pay £17.50

12. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

You probably all know this but the modern plastic E111's also have expiry dates, also we got them at the same time and and mine expires this year and Dot's in 2011 ?????

Ralph

13. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Jim, just checked my licence and it runs out in October - so thanks for this excellent post.
    regards, Dave:thumb:

14. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

I changed from paper to photo licence and sent off my £17 50 cheque and they sent photo licence back and my cheque saying no need to pay ! Couldn't believe it but didn't question it !:Eek!:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

got another 19 months to save my £35 for renewal.....dont laugh, thats what it will cost by the end of 2010 the way things are going.:cry::Angry:

16. tyrangie1

tyrangie1 Read Only Funster

Paper Licence

I have a paper licence and have not changed my address it has the European logo on and is colour pink.
    Do I have to change it to a photo licence if I am going abroad.

17. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Actually Braunston is right Jim.

The licence itself does not become invalid after 10 years.....only the photo. Drivers who qualified long before the photocard licence was introduced and were issued with a paper licence, such as myself, still have to retain that paper licence in addition to the photocard.

Following paragraph can be read on Direct Gov.uk website which explains in detail about the photocard licence;

Date of licence issue, photo expiry, issuing authority (4)
    The date shown in 4a is the date the photo is valid from. 4b shows either the date the photo expires (driving entitlement is valid until 70th Birthday) or the date entitlement expires (medically restricted and over 70 licences). The authority that issued the licence is shown in 4c ie DVLA.

The photocard driving licence explained : Directgov - Motoring

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Your licence becomes invalid, until you pay £17.50 to renew it. Much like a passport, the reason for the renewal is to change the the photo, if you do not change the photo the licence becomes invalid, just like your passport. 4a Licence valid from 4b licence valid to. I guess that technically, your entitlement to drive remains; if you were stopped you would be prosecuted for not renewing, rather than for not having a licence. Either way, its just another tax on the motorist.

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'm sure I seen a post suggesting some EU countries demand this, so I just got my wife to change hers on line, quite painless. They pull the sig and picture off your passport.

I did mine by post last year.

It's no bad thing to have an official picture for identification. It might say rooting out a passport.

Just google DVLA driving licence and the site is obvious.

20. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

I suspect the majority of us on here hold the green paper licence? That is your licence which is valid until the age of 70 when a medical is required.

I think it states quite clearly on the site Jim that in relation to the photocard licence, the dates printed on represent the validity of the photograph......not the validity of the licence. That the period is ten years doesn't mean your driving licence has expired, because you still have it. It's a piece of green paper. If you are caught driving without holding that, then you will be prosecuted. But i doubt anyone here has known (or ever will) hear of someone actually being prosecuted for having an 'invalid' photocard licence.

Yes the photocard has been introduced as another stealth tax. The legal green paper licence was issued without charge until a few years ago when the Government thought 'whoopee.....£17.50 x 50 odd million folk = squillions more loot.....plus we get to grab more every ten years'.
    Not so much a driving licence.....more a licence to print money.