10 steps to a clean awning (1 Viewer)

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi All

This worked for me-

1/ Fully open awning with an approx 45degree slope on canopy - lock struts including the middle one.
2/ With hose soak top and underneath with clear water - allow to soak but keeping wet for 15 minutes.
3/ Fill bucket with water add a couple of good squirts of washing-up-liquid - plus a few squirts on the awning
4/ With your long handled extendable wash brush - firmly agitate surfaces of canopy - loosening the dirt.
5/ Rinse and repeat as necessary.
6/ If surfaces dry out re-wet them slightly but leave the surfaces with a covering of soapy water..
7/ Whilst still wet - re-roll the canopy into its‘ slot - this lets the soapy solution soak in - preferably over-night.
8/ Next day, unroll canopy - re-wet and firmly agitate surfaces until they are as clean as possible.
9/ Finally rinse off dirty residues
10/ Leave to dry and re-roll canopy home.

This method cleans both surfaces in one go.
I used a step ladder to reach - no problems.
Don‘t let water pool on canopy - push up from below to get rid of water that settles in the hollows.
If badly soiled in spots - use a squirt of Fenwick’s Motorhome Cleaner (10 parts water add 1 part cleaner and 1 part bleach) and agitate ‘til spot removed. Rinse well.
The end result on my awning was about a 90 % improvement and it was pretty dirty - especially bad with bird droppings.
Be mindful of your safety and well being when on the step ladder - if unsure get some-one to assist.

Cheers
David……(Spindrifter)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know an even less labour intensive method.......get an upholstry cleaning/valeting company to do it.

would think £20 would do it.:winky:

or.....just leave it 'til its really bad, 5 or 6 years should do it, then replace the fabric.....not cheap but a first class job...:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back