1 st refill today of LPG gaslow system,,, a serious leak,,, a LUCKY escape,!!! (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
@bigguspeckus I'm pleased that you are both ok, but that's quite a scary experience :Eeek:

Your title grabbed my attention as my new van has a built in tank and filling it is probably the only aspect of motorhoming that I have no experience of, leaving me slightly anxious.
Fortunately my dealer is 'first filling' it before handover, so at least there won't be any leaks by the time I get to refill it.
I was quite nervous when we first topped up the fitted tank on our Kingham not just here in the UK but once again when we used the separate attachment when abroad. The actual fitting of hose to inlet took time to getting it right but sorted eventually. Can l also add always always wear gloves as the cold blast of escaping gas can cause serious burns and some continental fittings are not always forgiving.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I fitted my Gaslow system last weekend in an hour and a half (including stopping for a brew) and now I'll never, ever, have the 'risk' of leaks when changing an exchangeable Calor gas bottle.
I only fitted the Gaslow system as 90% of my touring is abroad, mostly Aires, and it can be filled anywhere, and where Calor bottles cannot be exchanged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Ahh - but that necessitates having a propane tank with propane in it!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
When we used a reputable installer Autogas 2000, they pressure tested my system and test filled with a small amount before the filled it up for me. Obviously your installers did none of this. Meaning they are cowboys or incompetent!

Same here ;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
our van is going in next week for a gas check, I detected a faint smell of gas, and a hiss when I opened the locker, all taps got turned off and we used electric or our deisel for heating.
Got out of cooking and got to eat out a lot :D2
Worrying was that John could not smell the gas or hear the hiss unless he put his head inside the gas locker. Nothing wrong with his sense of smell and he is NOT going deaf. Glad it happened when I was there.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I am contemplating fitting a tank system to my pvc, so am very interested in this thread. The only thing is, as always, that with so many contradictions to postings, I find it is still difficult to form a solid conclusion.

One thing that caught my attention was this:
He found that my tank was hanging from the cradle by its straps instead of sitting on it The cradle was screwed onto the thin plywood skin of the floor of the motorhome with wood screws. Chis corrected the installation my constructing a chassis mounting bracket for the cradle so the tank sat on it and the bracket and cradle took the weight not the retaining straps.

I was looking underneath a van similar to mine at their installation, and I seen to recall that the cradle was attached somehow close to the van floor, with the tank hanging by straps, since I'm sure I remember "twanging" the straps above the tank. Does this sound wrong? What is the cradle for, if not to hang the tank from? Is there some photo of a correct installation so I can see how it is done?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Had a look at that gaslow test hose linked to above... how does that test from the external fill point through to the connection to the cylinders... which I assume would be the fitting that takes the pump nozzle ..ie a bayonet fitting. .
All the connectors shown are threaded
It just looks like a hose that allows testing of the cylinders and installation not from the external bayonet fitting and fill hose
Or am I missing something as usual lol..
Andy

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
The OP stated they had a system fitted by an "expert" with certificates to prove it, so how does Mr or Mrs J public tell the difference? Are you suggesting we don't need to check the work if we believe they are an expert.

Martin
No I'm not. If they have the correct qualifications to work on Motorhome's then you check their gas safe I D. I've just checked with my assessment centre and they say you definitely need the correct module to work on Motorhome's lpg. If the fitter has made a mistake let him put it right or report him. Simple really (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Had a look at that gaslow test hose linked to above... how does that test from the external fill point through to the connection to the cylinders... which I assume would be the fitting that takes the pump nozzle ..ie a bayonet fitting. .
All the connectors shown are threaded
It just looks like a hose that allows testing of the cylinders and installation not from the external bayonet fitting and fill hose
Or am I missing something as usual lol..
Andy
:ROFLMAO: Yes your missing something(y)

One end goes onto a Propane bottle direct and the other screws into the middle of the external fill point

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No I'm not. If they have the correct qualifications to work on Motorhome's then you check their gas safe I D. I've just checked with my assessment centre and they say you definitely need the correct module to work on Motorhome's lpg. If the fitter has made a mistake let him put it right or report him. Simple really (y)
Sorry there is no module for swapping gas bottles or filling LPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It's strange that your local assessment centre don't know the regulations. Perhaps not though seeing as Gas Safe isn't much more than an money making exercise :whistle:

The relevant regulation is in the GSIUR. Part 2(5) to be precise. Para (e) of that section is the specific exclusion for touring caravans.

You can look it up here if you don't believe me: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/made

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link here is Part 2(5) in its entirety:

(5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on

(a)a self-propelled vehicle except when such a vehicle is—

(i)hired out in the course of a business; or

(ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried on from that vehicle;

(b)a sea-going ship;

(c)a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such vessel is—

(i)hired out in the course of a business;

(ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried out from that vessel; or

(iii)used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;

(d)a hovercraft; or

(e)a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course of a business.

Simple really (y)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
our van is going in next week for a gas check, I detected a faint smell of gas, and a hiss when I opened the locker, all taps got turned off and we used electric or our deisel for heating.
Got out of cooking and got to eat out a lot :D2
Worrying was that John could not smell the gas or hear the hiss unless he put his head inside the gas locker. Nothing wrong with his sense of smell and he is NOT going deaf. Glad it happened when I was there.

Hope he put his tab out before sticking his head in the locker ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't have cylinder filling facilities but I do pressure test every installation, both fill and take off sides of the cylinder. How? Simple, I use a Gaslow reserve cylinder hose from a tee piece connected to a full cylinder, the other leg of the tee feeds to a large pressure gauge. Once connected I open the feed cylinder until the sound of transferring vapour stops, then I turn it off and take a pressure reading. After five minutes settling time the pressure reading will have dropped due to temperature stabilisation so I open the valve again, once transfer has ceased I close the valve and note the pressure, it should not drop by more than a couple of psi over five minutes, if it does there's a leak so I then use an electronic sniffer and ldf to locate it. Once fixed the pressure test is repeated.

I find the statement that there are no "tradesmen" anymore very insulting!
D.

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
All in all a shocking and shoddy installation which could have resulted in a major incident/fire at a busy Shell filling station.
Was this the Shell garage at Thickthorn? We filled our Gaslow there a couple of weeks ago for the first time, fortunately no issues. I fitted it myself and changed the regulator at the same time so potential for a few leaks, but all OK. Must say it was a bit nerve racking using the machine for the first time, luckily there was somebody filling their Discovery when we got there so I watched what they did.
Colin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Best you find somewhere else then..
With this thread in mind I made a call today.. I do like to double check what I say if possible.
I have had it confirmed there is no such module and or qualification regarding vehicular installation and or testing
It was suggested anyone contemplating such activity would benefit from taking the course regarding LPG installation and use that was available as of course all the info is just as relevant no matter where it is being used.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Don't be put off. I first worked it out that it would take 5 years to pay back the cost. But it is the convenience of it and not having to always find a calor dealer that didn't want to rip you off like garages. Mine was fitted by the bitzmeister @eddievanbitz who like @dave newell lvs fill for you to test the system. Filling afterwards is easy. Remember if you fit you own exchange bottles there is still a chance of leakage.
I agree there is an element of convienence, however in my case 2 bottles will last me 3/4 weeks if am abroad and I can't do any more than that because of work
Still think it's more dangerous using Gaslow and others than standard calor bottles

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
IMG_1087.JPG
I fitted my bottles myself, would rather know that everything is tight and tested.
It's pretty simple stuff really and all you need is a bit of common sense, problem is common sense inna very common!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We normally quote between 1 1/2 - 2 hours to install Gaslow

This is the time that we normally take to discuss where the filler is going to go with the customer, take out the old bottles and hoses, drill the hole for the filler, file the edges, Vacuum out the mess, seal and install the new filler, install the new hoses, connect up the bottles, drive over to our on site gas station, fill and test, then check the appliance internally.

"Two hours, I can get a bloke who will do it at home who has quoted an hour" Our response would normally be "Great, get them to do the job then!" Then we get accused of being arrogant for saying this.

The way we look at it is we sell Gaslow equipment at the Gaslow list price.
we then give subscribed Funsters 10% off of those prices. We then advise that it takes us 90 - 120 minutes to install in what we think is a safe way, and we are very happy if some one wants to go somewhere else who thinks that they will do it much quicker

We think that the reality is that it is only quicker because the job isn't carried out the way that we would do it

Reminds me of the old adage:
If they can't afford to do business with you, you can't afford to do business with them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Reminds me of the old adage:
If they can't afford to do business with you, you can't afford to do business with them.

Spot on (y)

If anyone ever tries to start negotiating a quote from me I invite them to take there business elsewhere. If they're being awkward at the quote stage then they aren't going to be any better going forward. I'd rather not have that sort of business.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My original post alluded to the fact that it is just a course for a box ticking exercise in my opinion. Gas safe is a course not a test.

I have subscribed to too many privately owned LTD Companies over the years that are just cash cows
I find the statement that there are no "tradesmen" anymore very insulting!
D.

Just take it with a pinch of salt Dave, everyone else does. It's pointless responding even if you write without using big words or long sentences ;)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thats the one! Coupled up with the Propane red thumbwheel adapter you can test the whole system

Cheaper than I though as well!

Lets be honest, any tradesman that cant afford to buy one of those should give up!

I suppose that the Gaslow , "local connection hose" could also be used with an existing propane bottle but without the pressure guage and using a leak detector spray for the fill connection side of the system.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When CORGI (Now gas safe) first came out around 1991, a guy used to come around and examine three of my installations over the last year, then someone thought, we can make some money here, and all of a sudden I needed to go on a course, and the inspection of your work was dropped.

So now its like I was told by my HGV driving instructor, I am not teaching you to drive, I am teaching you how to pass the test.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
So summing up then - there are 'expert' cowboys out there who are able to 'self certify' their work to satisfy insurers.
Surely this cant be right. :eek:

When we had our narrowboat built, which falls into a very similar leisure industry sector i.e. many privately owned, many hired out, gas installation work had to be installed and certified by what was then called a Corgi Registered Installer. Many boat fitters abandoned gas work because for them to get and keep the 'gas ticket' cost them a lot of money. Consequently the number of gas fitters on the canal system diminished significantly.

Without the gas certification, you couldn't obtain a boat safety certificate which in turn, meant you couldn't register the vessel with British Waterways (now Canal & River Trust), hence you couldn't get a boat licence, insurance or mooring permit - so technically you couldn't use the boat.

Its time the Motorhome/Caravan Industry was brought in line IMO.(y)

It's a much bigger risk with boats. I'm sure you realise that butane / propane gases are heavier than air, and with a boat any escape would have nowhere to disperse, thus filling the hull with a potentially explosive mixture.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
It all seems to come down to testing, if the fitter has no means of filling the system how can he test it??

They either need to start stocking gas, or take the vehicle to a LPG sales point to prove it works before letting it out of their site, or presenting their bill

They should initially test the system for soundness using an inert gas and a U gauge. Even compressed air would be better than no test before filling with LPG, and could be taken to a fairly high pressure, to replicate nearer to normal pressures experienced in the cylinders and pipes.
When I had my Gas-it cylinders fitted, it was found they were both seeping from the threaded joints on the cylinders, by testing using an inert gas, and were exchanged for sound ones - the faulty ones being returned to the manufacturers. They were left under pressure on test for an hour, before considering the job completed and safe to fill with LPG.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It's a much bigger risk with boats. I'm sure you realise that butane / propane gases are heavier than air, and with a boat any escape would have nowhere to disperse, thus filling the hull with a potentially explosive mixture.

A requirement of CRT's Boat Safety Certificate is that all gas lockers must be vented with holes on either side of the hull with holes located just above the waterline of the boat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back