1 Billion Yahoo accounts hacked, change your password. (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't know if one of the columns is a "hashed" version of the password that can be translated into the real password? Well above my understanding! I've changed mine. But as your e-mail address is there it may mean increased spam?
Fortunately, the e-mail address I used on that site is a dedicated masked e-mail so I should be able to identify if spam is resulting from that hack. Haven't seen any though as yet.
The passwords are 'one way' encrypted. An attacker could set their computer going to try every different combination of password until they discover one that matches the hash solution. When they have, they know the password. It just takes a lot of patience and fast computation. You cannot determine a password from the hash directly, only in the way that I hope I've explained.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Went to change mine, but cant remember it..........Do you think if I email these hackers, they could tell me? :xsurprised:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Went to change mine, but cant remember it..........Do you think if I email these hackers, they could tell me? :xsurprised:

Of course, provided you give them the long number on the front, the expiry date and the three little numbers on the back of your bank card :xgrin:
To save you trouble just pm it to me (y)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The next time anyone takes exception to anything I write I shall claim a hack. Half full :).

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hackers sold the entire 1Bn database for $300,000 in August. This has likely gone to spammers, phishers and other online criminals.
Time to move away from yahoo and close those accounts.

This article contains further information.
http://thenextweb.com/security/2016...ortedly-sold-on-the-dark-web-for-just-300000/

Yahoo also doesn’t yet know who made off with all the data from the attack in 2013, which is said to be the largest breach of any company ever.

In addition to full names, passwords, birth dates and phone numbers, the database also contains security questions and backup email addresses that could help with resetting forgotten passwords.

That’s worrying, because these details may be common to several other online services and accounts, and could make many users vulnerable to phishing attacks which can feature accurate personal information in scammy emails to coax them into handing over things like their bank account, credit card and social security numbers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
my missus had her yahoo account hacked ,she uses it as part of her business,it caused a day or two of hassle ,she keeps her customers accounts on a removable drive so no sensitive information was gained

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't understand this at all, the searchforsites list, has got my email , ok but where's the password , if that at the end is supposed to be it, it isn't, so what are they going to do, send me an email?

The hacked database will include the email address and password you used for searchforsites.

If you've used the same email address/password combination for other sites, especially ones where you might have stored card details, Amazon for example, that's where the risk is.

If the email address/password combination you've used for searchforsites is completely unique and not used anywhere else you have nothing to worry about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back