1 Billion Yahoo accounts hacked, change your password. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That is a lot of accounts. As far as I can remember I have never had a Yahoo account. I there any way of finding out if I have...?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are interested Computerphile did a video on password hacking. It is slightly technical, just ignore the words you don't understand. He does get to a demonstration of how easy it is to crack password....

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Gromett I had a yahoo account but haven't used it for at least a couple of years & can't remember the password - do I still need to try & log on & change it?
Thanks

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
@Gromett I had a yahoo account but haven't used it for at least a couple of years & can't remember the password - do I still need to try & log on & change it?
Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it personally, not quite sure what these hackers can do by getting into your account, maybe email all your contacts? Anyone ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This an email I have had about it this morning, I have never actually had a yahoo email but they were tied up with bt at one point so don't know if it includes btinternet emails.

Link Removed
NOTICE OF DATA BREACH
Link Removed
Link RemovedDear Yahoo User,
We are writing to inform you about a data security issue that may involve your Yahoo account information. We have taken steps to secure your account and are working closely with law enforcement.

What Happened?

Law enforcement provided Yahoo in November 2016 with data files that a third party claimed was Yahoo user data. We analyzed this data with the assistance of outside forensic experts and found that it appears to be Yahoo user data. Based on further analysis of this data by the forensic experts, we believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with a broader set of user accounts, including yours. We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft. We believe this incident is likely distinct from the incident we disclosed on September 22, 2016.

What Information Was Involved?

The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for your account. The investigation indicates that the stolen information did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information. Payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system we believe was affected.

What We Are Doing

We are taking action to protect our users:

• We are requiring potentially affected users to change their passwords.
  • We invalidated unencrypted security questions and answers so that they cannot be used to access an account.
  • We continuously enhance our safeguards and systems that detect and prevent unauthorized access to user accounts.
What You Can Do

We encourage you to follow these security recommendations:

• Change your passwords and security questions and answers for any other accounts on which you used the same or similar information used for your Yahoo account.
  • Review all of your accounts for suspicious activity.
  • Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.
  • Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.
Additionally, please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password on Yahoo altogether.

For More Information

For more information about this issue and our security resources, please visit the Yahoo Security Issues FAQs page available at https://yahoo.com/security-update.

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defenses.

Sincerely,

Bob Lord
Chief Information Security Officer
Yahoo

line.png

Can't see images? View as a webpage

Privacy Policy

RefID:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This an email I have had about it this morning, I have never actually had a yahoo email but they were tied up with bt at one point so don't know if it includes btinternet emails.

Link Removed
NOTICE OF DATA BREACH
Link Removed
Link RemovedDear Yahoo User,
We are writing to inform you about a data security issue that may involve your Yahoo account information. We have taken steps to secure your account and are working closely with law enforcement.

What Happened?

Law enforcement provided Yahoo in November 2016 with data files that a third party claimed was Yahoo user data. We analyzed this data with the assistance of outside forensic experts and found that it appears to be Yahoo user data. Based on further analysis of this data by the forensic experts, we believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with a broader set of user accounts, including yours. We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft. We believe this incident is likely distinct from the incident we disclosed on September 22, 2016.

What Information Was Involved?

The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for your account. The investigation indicates that the stolen information did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information. Payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system we believe was affected.

What We Are Doing

We are taking action to protect our users:

• We are requiring potentially affected users to change their passwords.
  • We invalidated unencrypted security questions and answers so that they cannot be used to access an account.
  • We continuously enhance our safeguards and systems that detect and prevent unauthorized access to user accounts.
What You Can Do

We encourage you to follow these security recommendations:

• Change your passwords and security questions and answers for any other accounts on which you used the same or similar information used for your Yahoo account.
  • Review all of your accounts for suspicious activity.
  • Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.
  • Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.
Additionally, please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password on Yahoo altogether.

For More Information

For more information about this issue and our security resources, please visit the Yahoo Security Issues FAQs page available at https://yahoo.com/security-update.

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defenses.

Sincerely,

Bob Lord
Chief Information Security Officer
Yahoo

line.png

Can't see images? View as a webpage

Privacy Policy

RefID:

Is this e mail from "yahoo" genuine, is the link in it part of a scam.
I wouldn't use it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks
If you have used that password anywhere else then go into all those accounts and change the password there.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wouldn't use it.
No idea as it came to my btinternet email account, not doing anything about it , just a heads up for anyone else that gets one.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think I heard that the breach took place in 2013.
It took someone an awful long time to discover it
or own up.
Not very good for Yahoo,
I wonder who will be next

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
I received the Yahoo email and had suspicions if it was genuinely from Yahoo and therefore used no links in it, but went straight to Yahoo website and into my account and it is all clearly explained in Q&A format and even have posted copy of email to show exactly what sent out by them so you can see what you have received is same.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My email address comes up in a hacked list from searchforsites.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Where is this list?
If you look at post number 3, go to that site and put your email address in and if its been hacked it may tell you. My email came with 5000 others on a hacked list from searchforsites. I copied it, put it into openoffice, and sorted it alphabetically rather than go through 5000 names trying to find mine.
I have attached it to this post.

Attachments

• Searchforsites.csv
    430.2 KB · Views: 14
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a bt internet e mail but it's linked to yahoo.
No idea as it came to my btinternet email account, not doing anything about it , just a heads up for anyone else that gets one.

Now I'm feeling left out , I have a bt internet account and didn't get one :crying:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Enter your email here for a rough and ready guide ;)

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Thanks for the link, I checked and have not been compromised but took the option for notification should my address be pwnd, however they send an email with a link to click on for confirmation, do you know is this safe ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the link, I checked and have not been compromised but took the option for notification should my address be pwnd, however they send an email with a link to click on for confirmation, do you know is this safe ?
Well apparently I have been done three times on websites I've never heard of never mind given them my email!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well apparently I have been done three times on websites I've never heard of never mind given them my email!

Although on bt Internet I was going to change from yahoo but it's a bit like shutting the stable door........ as it occurred 3 years ago .
Which is better or rather are any safer ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wouldn't worry about it personally, not quite sure what these hackers can do by getting into your account, maybe email all your contacts? Anyone ?

Many people use the same password for everything and on a lot of sites your username is your email address.

They won't even bother doing anything to the email accounts, they will just trawl other sites with the email address/password combination until they get a hit.

They don't even need a very good ratio of hits to attempts to make it worthwhile.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you look at post number 3, go to that site and put your email address in and if its been hacked it may tell you. My email came with 5000 others on a hacked list from searchforsites. I copied it, put it into openoffice, and sorted it alphabetically rather than go through 5000 names trying to find mine.
I have attached it to this post.

Good heads up Olley.:xThumb: I'm on the list as well.:xangry: A quick scroll down your list "identifies" a number of other Funsters, eg @irnbru , @andy63 , @cliffandger , @bigtree , @Mags52 , @trevorf , @chaser , @wanderingyp , @Boringfrog , @Vanman , @Debs , etc working on the assumption they're using the same user name!!!!!:xsurprised: No doubt there will be others.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good heads up Olley.:xThumb: I'm on the list as well.:xangry: A quick scroll down your list "identifies" a number of other Funsters, eg @irnbru , @andy63 , @cliffandger , @bigtree , @Mags52 , @trevorf , @chaser , @wanderingyp , @Boringfrog , @Vanman , @Debs , etc working on the assumption they're using the same user name!!!!!:xsurprised: No doubt there will be others.

Crikey - What do we have to do - and which passwords do we have to change? I don't understand any of this - have we just been hacked on the search for sites website?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't understand this at all, the searchforsites list, has got my email , ok but where's the password , if that at the end is supposed to be it, it isn't, so what are they going to do, send me an email?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Crikey - What do we have to do - and which passwords do we have to change? I don't understand any of this - have we just been hacked on the search for sites website?
Hi Ger
Your forum name on here appears on the list provided by Olley above. This is a list of user data that was hacked from searchforsites website. What the issues would \ could come out of this not really sure but as your e-mail address is there it will probably mean a potential for significant increase in spam mail?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't understand this at all, the searchforsites list, has got my email , ok but where's the password , if that at the end is supposed to be it, it isn't, so what are they going to do, send me an email?
Don't know if one of the columns is a "hashed" version of the password that can be translated into the real password? Well above my understanding! I've changed mine. But as your e-mail address is there it may mean increased spam?
Fortunately, the e-mail address I used on that site is a dedicated masked e-mail so I should be able to identify if spam is resulting from that hack. Haven't seen any though as yet.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Ger
Your forum name on here appears on the list provided by Olley above. This is a list of user data that was hacked from searchforsites website. What the issues would \ could come out of this not really sure but as your e-mail address is there it will probably mean a potential for significant increase in spam mail?
Oh okay - thanks for that - when I tried to get onto the link from the third post it instantly came up as internet not available.... interrupted, so I couldn't even get on it to see my username.

Will keep an eye on emails etc.:xThumb:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
And your ntl e-mail address is shown on the file from Olley, Trev.:xangry:
Great, Virgin media's anti spam sucks. I get regular spam through,just bin it.did complain but was told it was world class,my ass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back