Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I think I need more battery capacity. Am I better going for one large 150 or two 75's. Are there any pros and cons on which to go for?

All help appreciated.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one large one will be better from an age/condition/balance point and probably cheaper than two smaller ones

if you have room for a big 'un.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Before you can decide what battery to have you have to decide what your power (watts/amps) you are going to consume, ie tv,computer,lights ect ect

Then you have to decide how long you will be away from a mains supply ie wild camping or camp siteing.

Having done the sum's and knowing what battery size you need you then have to decide on one big one or, little ones, if its to be little one's the dont mix old batterys with new ones and dont mix battery type's as either of these combinations can drag your new battery down to the condition of the old one. better to replace the full set.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The science is beyond me, but many suggest that using two 6v will give you better performance over your large 12v. Now I have mentioned that, someone will come along and explain why (I hope:Smile:) I will concentrate and try and understand:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As suggested above, check your consumption requirements before you decide. However, I think 'beefing-up' battery capacity should be the first course of action before considering more expensive options such as solar or generator power.
We had to have our batteries replaced in early December - one had failed. So we replaced 2 x 80 Ah Gels with 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol - wired in parallel. We have not tested to exhaustion, but as an example, at the beginning of Feb we were able to go for 3 nights in sub-zero conditions with snow on Sunday afternoon/night, without re-charging. We ran the usual lights / cooker extractor / water pump etc and watched DVDs on a laptop plus powered speakers for about 3 hours each night via a 150W inverter. (I guess that is about the same as running a sat TV system.) And the Truma C6002 was on continuously from arrival to departure, although turned down to 2 overnight and 1 during the day whilst we were out walking.

Finally to your question 1 big one or 2 smaller ones. I know Clive Mott has suggested in 'Another Place' that 2 x 6 volt in series is a better option than 2 x 12v in parallel. I am not qualified to comment on that. What I am sure of is that I would not like to try and handle a 220 Ah Elecsol into position if the battery storage is 'tight' or difficult to access. It weighs almost 50 kg and I'm no weight-lifter.

Philip

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
I think I need more battery capacity. Am I better going for one large 150 or two 75's. Are there any pros and cons on which to go for?

All help appreciated.

hi be carefull replacing Hymer batteries,if it fits under the seat as I found out to my cost it is a low height battery especialy made for hymer etc a normal height battery will not fit under the seat.Hope this helps.

Pete:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
hi be carefull replacing Hymer batteries,if it fits under the seat as I found out to my cost it is a low height battery especialy made for hymer etc a normal height battery will not fit under the seat.Hope this helps.

Pete:thumb:

That's the benefit of the Elecsol 110 Ah. It is the same size as an Exide Gel 80 Ah that Hymer seem to fit as standard. In our case the batteries are not under the seat, but in a tray recessed in the floor under the settee. Still restricted for height though. A standard height Wet LA would not fit.

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks to everyone who has replied................................ even more to consider now. I'm just going out to measure the existing battery and the space under the passenger seat which I think is fav for battery number 2.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have two batteries x2 110 amp.
One was already there and i simply added to it. There was some discussion about one dragging the others power down etc etc, it all ended as inconclusive, or depends on the state of the original battery. in all honesty i get plenty off them both so it works for me, i have sattelitte and a few other gizmos like roof air con. this is a new van to us so we are still experimenting.

May I suggest that you go with one and see if that is ample for your usage? if not then go for another or a pair what ever you decide. Could save some money,, our last van had 1 85amp battery and would do us agesm as much as 3 days if we were sensible.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
If you currently have AGM or Gel batteries, and they are mounted within the living space without external ventilation, it would not be a good idea to replace them with conventional unsealed lead-acid batteries. It can work for the engine battery because these never approach full charge, but leisure deep cycle ones teamed with a good mains or solar three stage do reach gassing point and may result in fumes within the living space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back