.07 amp drain nothing switched on (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
o/p here

Ive just gone to check the battery as discribed above, Ive got two batteries, I pulled fuse on the first one and it has melted and blown, I checked the ampage draw on the PANNEL it had changed to .4amp and th voltagwe had gone ujp to 12.6 (was 12.4 with blow fuse in ) I replaced the blown fuse with correct size, I checked the pannel again the ampage draw is now steady at .3amp (which seems to be in line with other scout owners).

I put the charger on whist I type this, what next pepole?

Doesn't make sense, then should be any difference between a blown fuse and no fuse at all.

I would recommend removing the fuse again and measuring the voltage on each battery while they are isolated from each other.

Connecting two batteries together that are at differnt stages of discharge can lead to very high currents indeed.

Gordon

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Doesn't make sense, then should be any difference between a blown fuse and no fuse at all.

I would recommend removing the fuse again and measuring the voltage on each battery while they are isolated from each other.

Connecting two batteries together that are at differnt stages of discharge can lead to very high currents indeed.

Gordon

quickly runs outside to check:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
o/p here

Ive just gone to check the battery as discribed above, Ive got two batteries, I pulled fuse on the first one and it has melted and blown, I checked the ampage draw on the PANNEL it had changed to .4amp and th voltagwe had gone ujp to 12.6 (was 12.4 with blow fuse in ) I replaced the blown fuse with correct size, I checked the pannel again the ampage draw is now steady at .3amp (which seems to be in line with other scout owners).

I put the charger on whist I type this, what next pepole?

300ma is still very high.

it equates to 50.4amps per weekand a pair of 85ah batteries will be flat (50% discharged) in around 10 days. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
quickly runs outside to check:Eeek:

hi sc 05 out sorry for my hijacking!!

in your battery locker you should have two fuse holders, one for each battery. if you pull the two of them out does your cd/radio work or does it stop like mine?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I take both batteries out and there on the floor, fuses pulled, the one with the blown fuse had blew the new fuse, but this is not supprising when I checked the voltage on the batteries, the good fuse one is showing 13.51 volts, and the duff fuse one zero which is why it blew te fuse trying to pull too much current in?

I suppose a pair of new batteries is in order tomorrow.:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I take both batteries out and there on the floor, fuses pulled, the one with the blown fuse had blew the new fuse, but this is not supprising when I checked the voltage on the batteries, the good fuse one is showing 13.51 volts, and the duff fuse one zero which is why it blew te fuse trying to pull too much current in?

I suppose a pair of new batteries is in order tomorrow.:Sad:

and there lies the problem of the blown fuse.....one dead, one trying to transfer charge to it.

for the slight difference in cost i would go for 110ah if they'll fit.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
hi sc 05 out sorry for my hijacking!!

in your battery locker you should have two fuse holders, one for each battery. if you pull the two of them out does your cd/radio work or does it stop like mine?

no worrys mate, it just got a bit confusing for our helpers dealing with both of us.

Yes it stops, so the radio is defo on the had side:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
and there lies the problem of the blown fuse.....one dead, one trying to transfer charge to it.

for the slight difference in cost i would go for 110ah if they'll fit.

sadly no they wont, shame becase when I went to get gas today my caravan had 110's on offer

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
check out the sizes of trojan six volt batteries see if they fit you wont buy better batteries

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no worrys mate, it just got a bit confusing for our helpers dealing with both of us.

Yes it stops, so the radio is defo on the had side:thumb:

as in my previous post....my radio was pulling 190ma with the radio turned off, or so i thought...it was just in standby mode still drawing power to the main circuits except the amplifier circuit which is the power hungry bit when turned on.

once i sorted a switched main supply the memory supply dropped to just 9ma

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
sadly no they wont, shame becase when I went to get gas today my caravan had 110's on offer

surely your battery locker is the same as mine? i have two banner energy bull 110 amp/hour batteries in mine .

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ive take out the loom to the duff battery

I was going to measure the current draw through the fuse block, but my meter only does up to 2 ampdc?

I took out the fuse, put the neg lead into common on my meter, the poss lead into the 2amp max socket turn the dial to 2Amp and measured accross the empty fuse block, the meter was just flashing 1.0000 which to me ment it was measering too high a draw for the meter to read correctly?

So I put the fuse back in, checked the draw on the pannel .7amp

I went to the fuse distribution block and removed each fuse in turn checking the ampage draw each time, no fuses made a differance, but the light in the power cupboard on a presurre switch makes the current draw drop to .2 amp when it comes ON and goes back up to .7amp when off. This does not make sense to me?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
surely your battery locker is the same as mine? i have two banner energy bull 110 amp/hour batteries in mine .

whoops my batteries are in the other way round:Doh: I dont know if the straps will fit that way, Im sure I read somewhere in the manual the charger would only DO 2 85amp hr max, but yours seem to work ok?

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
whoops my batteries are in the other way round:Doh: I dont know if the straps will fit that way, Im sure I read somewhere in the manual the charger would only DO 2 85amp hr max, but yours seem to work ok?

yep, my original batteries were on their way out when the van was new!! replaced with 110's and they have been fine ever since. i took the straps out and replaced with a piece of timber along the front of the locker to keep the batteries in place.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Truma blown air heating system's fan is wired completely independently of the control panel, as I discovered to my cost when I left it on while the van was in storage and it drained the leisure battery. As the leisure battery is wired to top up the cab battery in storage, the cab battery drained too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've only quickly scanned the posts on this thread as tea is just about to be served up (cauliflower cheese and bacon if anyone's interested!) so my questions is - have you left any lights on, such as in the grill/oven that could be drawing power?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

your battery charger will charge just about any ah battery.....its the time it takes to do it which is the important bit.

a 10amp charger will take X hours but a 20amp charger will only take half as long or a 5amp charger will take twice as long.

i just charged 6 x 2V 110ah batteries (wired in parallel (12v)) using an aldi 4amp charger.....took three days from totally dead (9v combined voltage)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
result

::bigsmile:

Just got of the phone to sargent eclectronics, I explained the whole situation and all I had to do was recalabrate the system pannel, the way to do it is, on the pannel over the door select the amps draw option, press and hold the left arrow key, the system will read "recalabrating" and the set the system, release the key and the reading should be zero amps ( if all power is off). I had to do severail times to achive this, this in itself means to me the system is flaky to say the least.

anyway job done Im off to buy new batterys:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back