€ v £ on import

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GRC, Jul 26, 2015.

1. GRC

GRC Funster

never done this before, is it as simple as it looks ?

As same van in Germany is 30% cheaper, as I understand it, you pay German vat at 19%, on Entry to UK, you are to pay 20% vat, then claim the 19% German vat back in full.

Is it this simple ?, surly not.

Your comments please

Garry

• Like Like x 1
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

Garry, I am in the final stages of buying my first van from Germany.
    The dealer I'm dealing with will let me pay for it in Euros with no German vat as long as I send him proof I have paid the UK vat to save me having to claim it back.
    The van I am going for is costing me less in Euros than it would be in pounds here, I am also dealing with Moneycrop for the exchange. I have to give them 10% of total exchange and they will hold the euro rate for me until van is ready in December.
    Judgemental on here has been a great help for me as he has done this a few times, I have to say so far it's not been any hassle and as we are ordering a RHD UK spec van we don't need to do anything to the van.

• Like Like x 7
  3. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

sounds like you went to the right man. well done

4. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I will be doing the same but there will probably be a kickback from UK dealers when this gets common practice. Treasure Island strikes again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chuns

chuns Read Only Funster

We collected our new Adria, bought in Germany, last week. The money saved is astonishing. The procedure is straightforward, buy your Euros forward, trouble is you don't know if the rate is going to get better, but at least you can't lose out. Insurance getting to the UK is an issue, though solvable.

The only issue I have had, and am still having, is trying to get UK Fiat to be clever enough to work out which headlamps they should supply (see my thread about Ducato headlights). Changing the speedo is a job that is straightforward, though fiddly and needs care and probably a call to the extremely helpful Lockwoods, and your van will probably have two rear foglights.

Lots has been written here and elsewhere, members of these fora are kind, tolerant and patient. I have a checklist and a flowchart you are welcome to (my wife says I am anal, but I say get it right!)

Good luck, PM me if you think I can help based on my experiences, though it is not over yet.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like Like x 5
  6. tomag

tomag Funster

Just to give some idea to anybody thinking of importing a camper from Germany , This is the forth camper I have imported from Germany [ a new one about every three years ] but each time has been different as the goalposts have been moved, I arrived back in England with the Hymer on July 2nd [Thursday] and went online to HMRC on Friday and filled out the form for importing a new vehicle and emailed it of, had a reply back within the hour saying how much VAT I had to pay [excellent rate of exchange ]. I then went online banking and transferred the monies to HMRC [online banking with CHAPS is what they recommended ].
    Had an email from HMRC on Tuesday July 7th to say thank you for the payment and I could now apply to DVLA to register the vehicle [ but to leave it for two days ]
    Had an appointment with Lancing Commercials to do the conformity test which has to be word specific [headlights changed speedo in MPH and fog light on the right side of the vehicle [all of which the Dealer I used in Germany did for me ] .They passed the vehicle and filled out the receipt word specific and only charged £12
    Filled out the form from VCA [ which I had downloaded earlier ] and also filled the payment form allowing them to remove a £100 from my bank for five minuets work and then sent all the required documents off by recorded delivery on July 8th.
    Received all the documents back by recorded delivery on July 15th which was as they said five working days after they had received the documents.
    Then filled out the new vehicle application form from DVLA [which you can apply for online ] and sent that of to them along with the documents they required and the new conformity certificate on July 15th
    Received the documents back from DVLA along with the application for the new number plates on July 23rd and they said the new log book would follow in a couple of weeks
    As you can see the whole process took about 3 weeks most of it done from my armchair apart from the inspection and the recorded delivery`s and the whole cost was £112
    If anyone wants any more info then you can PM me

• Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My local Chausson dealer told me that it is Chausson that set the prices for the UK and charge him less a discount. I do not have to believe that but the difference is so great there must be something else in it apart from dealer making hay with the rates. The model I asked about is available for the same price in euros and it is uprated with a Welcome( No flashs) and packs on .
    The German makes are the same they all want standard, what we have to pay extra on. LHD is something I do not bother about but I still think there will be a clampdown by manufacturers when the dealers complain. It happened with bikes years ago and cars later.

8. zac

zac Funster Life Member

where do you people look for these vans as done a quick search but there are loads, any recommendations ? been thinking of doing this myself. I know a lot depends on what van you are looking for but there must be dealers that people on here have dealt with so can vouch for that sells a variety.

9. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

For a Hymer your best bet is Campirama in Belgium, we have brought 2 vans from them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Getting a little tired with all our Autotrail issues on our new MH so maybe looking at getting another but different make/model, thanks for the info i will take a look.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GRC

GRC Funster

I'm am calling in there next week as I go to Harelbeke most months with work & it's only 8km away.

Left or right hand drive ?,

13. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

We went out to Belgium on Thursday, we had made our minds up on a rapido,so we visited all three of the registered rapido dealers in belgium , the first guy gave us a discount that amounted to near parity with the pound price that we got from dealers in the UK
    This is our first attempt at buying a Mh ,the savings are substantial, it's a lh drive but that does not bother me. The model that we ordered will take until Feb before its ready ,that was the same time scale that the UK dealers offered
    The Belgian dealer told us that we will have to arrive one day early as our passports will be required as proof of identity and we will receive export plates and insurance for about 250.00 euros
    why anyone is buying a Mh from the UK is beyond me , it's all a total rip off ,are business costs so much higher here in the UK that the dealers have to make bigger margins ?
    The warranty are pan European, 2 years on the Fiat and 5 years on the habitation

• Like Like x 4
  14. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I prefer LHD as we spend most of our time over in Europe so this would be better for us.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

LHD, when time comes to change you can sell or trade anywhere in Europe, RHD you can only sell or trade in UK.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Violet1

Violet1

Just completed HMRC bit, now sorting h/lights and speedo, savings are dramatic especially as our m/h layout not available here in UK .
    Or with upgraded engine. Dealer very very helpful should you want Adria, Hobby or several other makes, Duemo of Dulmen.
    Don't forget to keep your h/lights and speedo boxed for when you part ex or sell in future as dealer will be grateful,
    Also should be able to pay net of German vat and send proof to dealer when UK vat paid
    Saving even more.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  17. GRC

GRC Funster

Glad you had a good deal,

How are you saving even more with the UK vat ?
    As its my understanding, the simplest way, is just pay the German vat @19%, pay the UK 20% vat on regestration & claim the 19% back.

18. Violet1

Violet1

You're saving because you're not having to exchange more currency than necessary, I believe HMRC rate is set monthly and currently around 1.397 /1£

• Like Like x 2
  19. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Simple enough if you have enough money to be without both 20% UK VAT and GERMAN VAT AT 19% UNTIL YOU GET A REFUND. I imagine that for many this could be a problem!

20. nelly

nelly Funster

Do you not have to take the MH back to the dealer you bought it from for warranty work why would a uk dealer do warranty work on a self import

Nelly