£80 reversing camera? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had to call in on a MILLS AUTO PARTS in St Austell and while standing at the counter waiting to be served caught sight of my belly!:Blush: on a little screen, about 75mmx75mm.
Good Grief! that looks familier I thought.:Cool:
It was a set up of the complete thingee, Monitor, as I've described, thing to attach to you rear fender, (the camera) and a control box to recieve the signal (it was wireless) plugged into the cigarette lighter thingee, and all for a few pence under £80 ::bigsmile:
Ididn't ask about it, just thought that it was interesting, something you could fit yourself quite easily obviously.
Anyone know anything about 'em? Would they transmit, say, 3 Metres?

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a wireless camera on my van its 8 meters long works but very patchy i will change to hard wired camera as soon as possible my advice would be not to go for wire free you will end up getting hard wire system :RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes! ::bigsmile:

The hard wired in ones are better though! Have a look around the classifieds, someone may be parting with a wireless one.

Cameras are the cheap ones, so not all that good a quality and affected by sunlight - probably not work in the dark either!

With cameras, you pay for the quality - and that varies hugely! These 24mhz type ones are the basic, no frills ones which will be fine on overcast days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've yet to see a reliable wireless camera system. I thought I'd found one that uses mjpeg digital compression and fitted it to my exhibition trailer. Initially it worked ok but the view angle was a bit too narrow. Sadly it only lasted for about 6 working hours before the transmitter in the camera faded out and it can now not transmit further than about four feet. Absolutely useless piece of junk, as soon as I have time to spare I will fit a Camos tilt camera to the trailer and hard wire it with a SUSE coupling.

D.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
reversing cameras

dellwood33 has just fitted mine and done a perfect job i bought it from drw electronics he will be at the cheshire show :Smile:

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh well:winky: Just have to keep the one I've had since 22nd March 1974 I suppose:thumb:
Trouble is, she don't like getting out of the cab if it's raining:cry:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
No problem - get her one of these rain protection devices :Smile:
Leaves both hands free to give directions ::bigsmile:

images

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all,if you want to wait a few weeks my mate has just sent for a camera set up that includes a 7 ins monitor,wireless reversing cam and sat nav for under £70--He again does not like wireless but at the price is willing to give it a try :thumb:
I will give a report on it :thumb: when it arrives-plus be sending for one myself if any good :winky:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thumbs down to the wireless

Been there had the teeshirt.. had one on a day van ..useless.. picture break up all the time.

I use a pioneer these days..very expensive and to be honest would not recommend it. I had it fitted by Van Bitz (no problems there) but the item in my view is not as great as I would have expect for the money. Ok it is a satellite nav system, and music centre in one. but for about half that my Snooper 7000 does just as good job (£400 .. camera extra) .. The main issue these days is do you get a mirror image or is it reversed? my Pioneer for all it's expensiveness cannot be made in to a mirror image so the left is on the right and the right is on the left if you follow me as you look at the camera.. not very good.. The wireless one was very fish eyes on the camera and had to still have power from a feed so with that issue you might as well go hard wired from day one.

Bob:whatthe:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in my case 45'long

I think you are all spoilt brats whats up with using your mirrors as the good old HGV drivers do :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In my case 45'long with the trailer on the RV.. yes I can see the end of the trailer from the mirrors, but I have my backup camera rigged so it can be on all the time. Mainly allows me to check the car on the trailer is secure and helps when need to back it up and work out if it will jack on to the body of the RV. But backup cameras are very good and I would not be without one.

Bob:thumb:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
In my case 45'long with the trailer on the RV.. yes I can see the end of the trailer from the mirrors, but I have my backup camera rigged so it can be on all the time. Mainly allows me to check the car on the trailer is secure and helps when need to back it up and work out if it will jack on to the body of the RV. But backup cameras are very good and I would not be without one.

Bob:thumb:

AM thinking of putting one in my RV its a hymer 544 as ins will give me a discount if one is fitted

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
£80 seems a bit much compared to ebay, but you have the benefit of having some one to complain to. I have had expensive dealer fitted ones, and ebay wired and wireless units. The picture quality on dealer ones is good but whether that justifies the extra cash I am not sure. Wired ones do work best but in my experience wireless ones are certainly usable and can save an awful lot of work. My main suggestion would be never to use the auto selection when you select reverse. A manual selection is much better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
This is a very old thread going back too 2011 :eek:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I hope in the years that passed since this thread was started, Mr Rangi has learnt it is a rear "BUMPER" and not a "Fender" :rofl:

Colonials hey?:hi5:

JJ :cool:

:moon2::whistle2:

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back