£2,500 reward for safe return of stolen VW (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
_66534550_66534549.jpg

A £2,500 reward has been offered for the safe return of a stolen camper van which has been missing for a month.

The Humphreys family said the 1966 split windscreen VW was "like another baby" and they are struggling emotionally to deal with the theft.

They bought the rare van, called Lizzy Beth, for £9,100 and spent six years and over £40,000 restoring it.

It was taken from the garage at their home in William Road, West Bridgford, in the early hours of 20 March.

'Deeply traumatised'
Jayne Humphreys said: "This camper was so special to us and actually our heritage.

"We are so deeply traumatised by this whole situation, we just want her found."

Mrs Humphreys and her husband Matthew had hoped to use the van for holidays with their twin sons, seven, and daughter nine.

The day after the van was stolen, it was photographed leaving nearby Clifton.

The couple set up a social media account to help find the vehicle.

Nottinghamshire Police said a white man was seen driving the vehicle and is believed to have been struggling with the gears.

The reward has been offered by the insurance company.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A shame indeed, but £40,000 spent on restoration of a £9,100 classic vehicle? Surely a printing error.

The bit about struggling with the gears sounds accurate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think you could easily spend £40,000 restoring an old splitscreen VW.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I would not spend that on one .

But i was at a show here in Belgium {Brugge} there where a few .

One owner told me had about €60,000 in it.

Its all about choice.

You could buy a very nice MH for what they spend on them.

Nice to see

But the main thing is it belongs to them not some thieving scumbag.

Mel

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
what have they got

So now they have your vehicle and may they burn in hell for it, now what are they going to do with it they can not run it as it is so they most likely are going to strip it for spares or use the parts on one they have the documents for but is to far gone to restore.

Are they enthusiast's and go to the shows etc but it would be on show even with a respray it would have to be made so it is unrecognisable this option is unlikely so it could be heading abroad so this would be a container which means paperwork not to many of these going out of the country which is another line to follow there must be a reason if it's the shell there after are there any things you have done that you would recognise ?.

Ask all the known restorers or tell them about it put it on all the V W forums lots more eyes looking even the other forums kit cars etc.

As i said there must be an end use for it.Good luck and I hope you get it back

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Know I am goin to get slated for this but. WHY

I agree. Surely £9,100 spent six years ago should have got them a splitty in pretty decent nick? Forty grand on top of that is madness.

We owned a type two from 1997. Cost us £3000 originally, I spent about £500 a year keeping it insured and in reasonable running condition and sold it for £3000 in 2004. I know splitties are rarer but a total £49,100 outlay over six years beggars belief.

No wonder they're bereft.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always believe that there is a very clear distinction between "value" and "price".

And some people value certain things much higher than others do.

I don't think Tofo would pay what I might pay to watch a game of footy in London next month...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Good sense

Correct but as usual we think it will never be us it is a must in my opinion a big investment should be protected. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE A TRACKER FITTED NOT ALL I BETBUT YOU WOULD BE SICK AS A PARROT IF IT WENT MISSING.

Fiend of mine has a tracker on his Motor home and was phoned by the company to ask if he was out in it as he had not scheduled it with them to go out he said no I'm out shopping they told him his camper was on the move and alerted the police it was found just down the lane abandoned I'm not sure if they had facility to disable the engine remotely but they just abandoned it.

He also nearly had his caravan nicked from the front of the house his wife heard a noise on the front and looked through the window to see a gang with a set of burning tackle busy burning the lock of the tow hitch they had already burned the wheel clamps off she shouted her husband who shouted at them one jumped in the van and drove off burner dragging behind and the other jumped the wall and legged it they got the number which was bogus so they were very lucky even taking precautions.

As to value would you pay 20 or 30 million for a painting or such like not me for sure the same rule applies it is what you put into it that counts I built a Jago Jeep some years ago when it was finished there was no other like it it was individual to me there were many of the same make but each of them were individual.

Again I hope you catch the lowlifes

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
A friend of mine had a call from Phantom at 2.30am to ask if he was with his 20k TA caravan !! the police tracked it to to a hidden layby 15 miles away still attached to a stolen vehicle, they said that it is usual for gangs to park them for a few hours in case they have a tracker, they would have collected it a few hours later and could have been watching for the appearance of the police from a distance.

I have a tracker & cat 1 alarm and get a discount on my insurance for it but best of all " peace of mind" :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There is a culture around the early VWs vans and cars. My daughter does the soft furnishings for a chap who restores them. The skill and time they put in is reflected in the selling price especially when sourcing authentic materials and patterns. My first VW was 1976 'Bay' which I bought in 1981 for £3000 sold it 4 years later for £3500 and later saw it sold on for £4500.
Without appearing t point the finger there has been a lot VW thefts recently,more than usual,
Also there is a large travelers camp in the Bristol area.
Hangings too good for them!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As to value would you pay 20 or 30 million for a painting or such like not me for sure the same rule applies it is what you put into it that counts I built a Jago Jeep some years ago when it was finished there was no other like it it was individual to me there were many of the same make but each of them were individual.
No problem with that, or the van for that matter, i like doing old tractors up but to pay out 40 grand it can't be original and you can see plenty done for half as much, it didn't even look that special

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
WONDER IF THIS IS IT ON DIFFERENT PLATES ? ::bigsmile:
Link Removed
pPM me where to send reward :winky:
terry

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Any interior shots of stolen van would have been big help
As Terry says could be out there cloned/Ringer can change outer
looks easy Cornwall's run to the sun is full of them, just a thought :winky:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
WONDER IF THIS IS IT ON DIFFERENT PLATES ?

Not unless the thieves have resprayed it, replaced the front bumper, removed the decorative running board and filled in the rear side windows, but to be fair it does look similar.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
That's another gone - noticed a splitty had gone when registering the caravan as stolen. Must be after splitties for the summer.

The thing is with classics or any enthusiast vehicle - you can spend vast amounts on them - but they are still only worth what they are worth and people will pay. The owner will never get a return on what they spent.

Insurers would have had an 'agreed valuation' in cases such as this, which in effect is a middle ground where a compromise between trade and owners idea of value is met through a professional.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That's another gone - noticed a splitty had gone when registering the caravan as stolen. Must be after splitties for the summer.

The thing is with classics or any enthusiast vehicle - you can spend vast amounts on them - but they are still only worth what they are worth and people will pay. The owner will never get a return on what they spent.

Insurers would have had an 'agreed valuation' in cases such as this, which in effect is a middle ground where a compromise between trade and owners idea of value is met through a professional.

They Only do agreed value if you ask for it :Eeek: Chances are they will only pay out a pitence for it.Perhaps only 6k if lucky unless they have stipulated the value not simply said it cost 10k and we have spent 40k doing it :whatthe:They could well find there insurance null and void if they were not careful about the ins :Eeek:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back