£10,000 damages for “injury to feelings” (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A French couple living in the UK ...

Guess who will pick up the tab ....

A Muslim husband and wife are using a British legal team to launch a landmark human rights challenge to the French ban on face-covering veils.

The couple are taking the French government to the European Court of Human Rights over its prohibition on wearing the niqab and burka in a case of importance across the European Union.

They are seeking damages and a ruling that the ban on the full-face veil is “unnecessary, disproportionate and unlawful”.

They also contend the blanket ban restricts their right to free movement across the EU.

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/9074986.Couple_challenge_France_veil_ban/

Edit

ooops... somehow managed to put in the wrong forum :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know who will pick up the tab as the story referenced doesn't say. The IAS receives part of its funding from the taxpayer and part from charitable donations so, to that extent, I suppose it can be assumed that a proportion of the IAS costs in this case will be taxpayer funded.

Personally, though, I welcome the case as it should provide much needed guidance - and hopefully precedent - on the relationship between the European Convention on Human Rights and the extent to which traditional national cultures are able to be protected by derogations under the Human Rights Act 1998 and its equivalents in other countries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back