led lights 2016 models. (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Has anyone had problems with above locker or under kitchen worktop lights. Even when turned off ours still give off a lot of light and we have to turn all our lights off via the master light switch to get the MH dark when we go to bed. We have had instances where they have gone off when switched off only to suddenly part come on 10 minutes later. Our dealer is mystified and says they can't find any fault. Perhaps an electrical expert could offer a clue.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Telling us what motorhome you have would be a good place to start but I have to say I've never heard of such an issue and I've been motorhoming for 26 years and working in the industry directly for the last 15. Lights don't light up without a power source so somewhere something is feeding power into them.

D.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Possibly an earth fault somewhere on the lighting circuit. 12v systems on ships were a nightmare to fault find.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Just found this post. We have exactly the same problem, a blue glow in places above the lockers. Did you find a solution? I mentioned it to Elddis when I e mailed about another issue but they just said they'd have to see it to understand problem! Trouble is , how do you show something in daylight that happens at night. Interestingly it's not always the same section that is glowing! Our van is booked in for its first service in April so will try and sort it then but not holding my breath.

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
No solution as yet. Nobody will replicate dark conditions to see it. Last year we ended up having to turn off all lights at the master switch when we went to bed. On one occasion we flushed the loo and the lights came on. We are way next week and will see what 2017 brings. The wonders of Elddis!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a mistake on the wiring. a voltage difference between positive and negative above 0.6volts allows current to flow

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I have seen it on house LED's where there was a timer switch, they need very little current to give a dimmer light. There is obviously a little current flowing through them from some source. Normal switches shouldn't cause this problem. The only other thing I can think of is a wiring fault allowing current to flow through something else when the switch is off (I have also seen that on incorrectly wired houses).

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
This sounds like you have a dimmer in circuit that may have an intermittent fault. Or an electronic switch (as opposed to a simple on/off switch) that is going faulty (perhaps an earth fault). Are they regular switches, touch switches, on a dimmer or something?

Or have they wired the things in series, so a fault with one is causing problems with the next in line?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It may not be a fault at all. LEDs glow with the tiniest current - often simply natural leakage - to the extent that many domestic fittings have a bleed resistor to prevent it. It's worth you, or if you don't feel confident, an electronics person, fitting one directly across the light itself. !k ohm should do it.

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Dromara, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Blue glow above the lockers sounds like the Aerial amplifier. We had it on ours as well. Solution. Turn off the amplifier after you turn Tv off and are going to bed, small rocker switch on top!

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
It appeared to be OK for the past couple of months but at the end of our last trip it occurred again. We also found that turning off the under counter kitchen lights turned on the above locker lights!!

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
As I said we have the same problem. Mentioned it at Hab service but they couldn't do anything as wasn't dark in day to check. It doesn't seem to be related to any other switch. We don't have a TV or aerial and no other electrics on. Is constant in that never off but does vary as to which side it is brightest on. Only appears to be above lockers above beds, have the fixed twins and no way to access or check where the glow is coming from. Any help welcome.

jfcamping

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Oldbury
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Newbie to Motohoming but been camping all my life
Will have to check mine as I have a 255 but have to admit have not noticed anything like that. Once the lights are off its dark. Sounds like some wiring could be loose somewhere.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Had a problem with LED lighting glowing faintly in the dark when switched off in my MH. Traced it back to a rechargeable torch I had left plugged into the "cig" socket in the hab area. The torch battery was feeding a small voltage back into the circuit because I was using a charging lead that didn't prevent this.

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Now that's very interesting because on this last trip I was using a 12V USB charger and it was left plugged in. Will see next week if not using it cures the problem.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A switch which also is a dimmer. It does not rotate.

So some form of electronic control which may well be leaking the fraction of a milliampere that is all that is needed for a little light.

If I was on the job I would meter the switch and see if the leakage can be measured.
Temporarily substitute a proper on/off and see if that cures it.
Try an new switch.

I've had this sort of problem at home substituting LED floodlights for halogens using electronic switched and found a constant glow when off. LEDs are so efficient.

jfcamping

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Oldbury
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Newbie to Motohoming but been camping all my life
Now you mention it and it's blue are you sure it's now the alarm LED light coming back into the van as mine is blue ?

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
In our case it's the flipping fridge, glows blue all night and needs to be covered by a tea towel
Exactly like us. Tried putting black film over it but still glowed. Did think it was useful to guide us to the bathroom during the night but annoyed me so much it's back to the teatowel.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I have this "problem" at home on research I found the following answer. When cables powering the led lights run close and parallel with other wires that are "live" an induced current can be created within the led circuit. This is not a fault but the fact that leds can glow on a very small amount of power, usually seen in very dark conditions. At home our led lights are 240v supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back