Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
so we have been wild camping for the last 3 weeks working our way from Cantebury along the southern cost and are now around Portsmouth , our plan is to work westwards to either Devon and Cornwall or Wales direction , but my question is between the two area's where is the most "motor home / wild camping " friendly and has the most to see and do ( walks etc ) , as so far compared to when we wild camped in Scotland , down here this trip has been 20 times harder to get a spot for the night.
Yip we been using camper contact and search for sites etc.
So Wales or Devon and Cornwall ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...as so far compared to when we wild camped in Scotland , down here this trip has been 20 times harder to get a spot for the night...
Hardly surprising as population density is much higher, less open space, less wilderness, more people more proprietorial about their more expensive views...
Can Britstops be helpful if you can't find any suitable wilding spots?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
so we have been wild camping for the last 3 weeks working our way from Cantebury along the southern cost and are now around Portsmouth , our plan is to work westwards to either Devon and Cornwall or Wales direction , but my question is between the two area's where is the most "motor home / wild camping " friendly and has the most to see and do ( walks etc ) , as so far compared to when we wild camped in Scotland , down here this trip has been 20 times harder to get a spot for the night.
Yip we been using camper contact and search for sites etc.
So Wales or Devon and Cornwall ?
They're not the words I want to hear!
Normally I would be wandering the countryside of France during May and June staying on aires and wild spots but this year have decided to try the UK and plan to head down to more or less the same area you're doing.
I really don't want to stay on campsites but I'm finding it difficult to get a warm feeling for wilding. I have numerous apps and listings but it's really hard work and the thought of spending ages every day looking for somewhere to stop is really putting me off the whole idea. Britstops is not for me.
I have a feeling I'll be cruising down the M20 after all.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We live in Cornwall and the south of the county is not good for wilding - lots of "no overnight parking" signs etc. The north coast and up on the moors in both Devon and Cornwall is better. We also managed to find quite a few spots to stop in Snowdonia on a recent trip up there. Where there is a will, there's a way - whichever destination you choose. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as already mentioned the new forest national park is pretty much closed to wild campers. theres still a few good places in Dorset though so long as you are sensible and respectful. the jurassic coast has loads to offer in the way of countryside and walks

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IMG_3342.PNG
There are a few places listed on park4night. Maybe you could have s look. Not sure how suitable they will be, you will have to read them.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
222 wild camping places in Dorset. Take look at the kimmeridge one (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back