Selling van using dealer on commission - anybody done it? (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
WE are going to sell our 2013 Burstner Elegance i890 which should be worth somewhere around £75,000.
My concern about selling it privately is that being an expensive item and being in the North East it may prove difficult to find a buyer with the necessary funds.
I am exploring the idea of putting its on a dealer forecourt on a commission basis. A dealer advertises the van as part of their stock and can offer warranty, service and finance options.
Has anybody any experience of doing this?
What sort of commission do the dealers expect?
How are warranties dealt with?
Any recommended dealers?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Local to me quoted 8%...
I called my insurance to ask what the situation was if i left it there.. They said would take it off cover straight away as they wont take the risk... So something to bear in mind as you would be relying on their insurance and may have lots of people tramping in and out..

It's always worth a try as a private sale, maybe harder with the value BUT just watched a TV program where they were selling a car for 18 Million :Eeek:..

Good luck and sorry to hear your selling :crying:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Someone will get a beautiful m/h good luck with your sale, hope you are changing and not giving up m/h , not seen you and Gwen for a while Mike be nice to catch up
Sue & Eric x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
One thing to consider Mike if you trust them with your van you are also trusting them with 75K of your cash that is the way the law would see it if things go wrong, you gave them 75K of your cash on trust can you trust a dealer?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Im from the northeast and Im spending more on a new motorhome than what you are asking :D it depends what side of the Tyne you are born on :LOL:

Get it up for sale Im sure it will sell

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If it's a good van, a popular model, priced well - I doubt location will be a big issue... buyers will travel to get the van they want.
Get it advertised nationally (autotrader and/or eBay) & save the dealer commission...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike better to try Motorhome depot.... You teii them how much you want....they advise price and if what you want is realistic price they can either buy it or sell it for you... They offer finance and warranty to buyers ....you keep van with you and they bring people to view...they prefer to get keys off you and show buyer...you just sit in house..they return keys ... Only downside is you give them sole rights to sell van for sixty days so if you find a buyer you pass them details....Very safe as funds are paid to you before you let van go.....they may well get you a better price than you want...depends on realistic price to sell
Terry

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Stick it on Ebay at the price you are prepared to sell it for , and see what happens, give it a week or three and you will know where you are. Or you could let somebody has no stake in it , take a profit out of you , by not trying to sell it yourself first.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
typical commission to a brokerage is 10%, so £7.5k out of the sale price

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
WE are going to sell our 2013 Burstner Elegance i890 which should be worth somewhere around £75,000.
My concern about selling it privately is that being an expensive item and being in the North East it may prove difficult to find a buyer with the necessary funds.
I am exploring the idea of putting its on a dealer forecourt on a commission basis. A dealer advertises the van as part of their stock and can offer warranty, service and finance options.
Has anybody any experience of doing this?
What sort of commission do the dealers expect?
How are warranties dealt with?
Any recommended dealers?
Friends of our selling there van (upgrading) dealer got it on there forecourt for £52k offering £45k to them

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Sorry to hear you are selling your lovely van we shall miss you two :( :( :( love & best wishes from us three xxx

Mike we paid the £25 membership to pre loved this allowed us to advertise and put on as many pics as we liked on our advert . We sold our van to a lovely lady who had been looking for a long while for a van with such features as ours . Someone is out there looking for a van such as yours . Give it ago . Think you will be surprised how sought after your model is and at a reasonable price . If you come down a little perhaps say the commission you would have had to pay a dealer to sell ? Here on Fun you can post as many pics as you like in the classified it's worth a try x
Love from us three xxx

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We sold a motorhome on eBay and it was a nightmare. We were staggered by the over 5300 views of the auction, so it does gets to a very wide audience but eBay is full of prats and to*ssers.
We had a group of these prats that thought it was great fun to bid up the price against each other with no intention of buying or paying the final price and then they left us malicious negative feedback just to add to the fun.
We lost the tenner insertion fee and had to go through the rigmarole of getting the final sale fee back and getting the negative feedback removed.
Maybe we were just unlucky but if you sell on eBay then your probably better off selling at a fixed price or making sure that you have the low and negative feedback bidders weeded out as we did when we relisted it.
As said previously don't worry about where you are in the country as we did not think twice about travelling mile and mile for the van we wanted. We live near Huntingdon and travelled to Chichester to view one and finally bought in Telford.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Friends sold their van through Bundesvan, they speak very highly of them. We had a lovely couple buy our previous van, they came from Darlington down to Birmingham. Hope you and Gwen are well.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think I would try Bundesvan with that. Is it LHD? if so Ive heard of people getting good results from Mobile.de The exchange rate is great for foreign purchasers at present.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We advertised ours on Autotrader and Ebay , and sold OK , the people who bought it paid us via BACS on his computer , i checked my account and the money was there in minutes ,
Don't worry about your selling area Mike we had enquiries from all over the UK , the people who bought ours was from Glasgow our previous MH went to Oxford and the other to Southern Ireland ,
If someone wants it they will travel ...

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have advertised on gumtree and eBay without problems ,new owners from the Midlands , East Anglia, local, Dumfries and other places ,they have made the journey or by arrangements met halfway .Likewise I have traveled all over to purchase, England, German, France,
Yes you do get the occasional idiot,but hey ho
Would never give to a dealer,say
he sells and takes in another in px ,then sells that and takes another in px it can go on and on and you could be waiting a long time for you dosh .You wouldn't be the first

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The Carthago dealer who sold us our van new has offered to sell it for a commission of 8% of whatever he sold it for.

The benefit of us selling it through the dealer would be his ability to arrange finance and take a part exchange.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We advertised ours on Autotrader and Ebay , and sold OK , the people who bought it paid us via BACS on his computer , i checked my account and the money was there in minutes ,
Don't worry about your selling area Mike we had enquiries from all over the UK , the people who bought ours was from Glasgow our previous MH went to Oxford and the other to Southern Ireland ,
If someone wants it they will travel ...

My last one went to Spain... That was via ebay..
I seriously expected a scam taking place BUT it was all very genuine, guy flew over and looked at van.
Paid cash over 3 days due to daily limit into my account and on day 3 I drove it to his daughters where he was staying and hopped on train home. We did have some messer's but there are genuine people out there..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The last time we sold a van privately I put it on 11 online sites and found eBay got the best results and the sale was via them. Gumtrees attracted all the scammers & Prelove all the time wasters. Every response we had from eBay appeared genuine, you need to list it as a an eBay classified add.

As Tonka says selling via a dealer on commission can cause insurance problems often your insurance won't cover you and the dealers insurance will only cover his own stock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All the above hence MHDepot they give you your asking price and put their money on top,pay for lots of advertising etc no messers....and you keep your van until they pay you(y) Once you have money in your bank you hand the keys to MHD and complete paperwork job done.....doesn't matter what they charge so long as you get what you want :D2
Terry

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The Carthago dealer who sold us our van new has offered to sell it for a commission of 8% of whatever he sold it for.

The benefit of us selling it through the dealer would be his ability to arrange finance and take a part exchange.
Its the finance that might be key. I am not sure how many people have £75k just lying about. Part exchange also.
We bought our second van from a dealer who was selling it on commission and took our first van in px.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Thanks for all the info everybody. I am taking it all in.....:)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Selling via a dealer on commission has all sorts of risks you ought to ponder. Personally I wouldn't even contemplate doing this. You have very little control, compared with selling privately.

If your MoHo has been sold and the dealer has cash flow problems, getting paid might be slow and difficult. Basically the sale proceeds, less commission, become a trade debt he owes you. You might need to get a solicitor involved to put pressure on and get moved higher up the priority payment list, fast. Would you be happy to accept a promise to pay by instalments over 24 months? I don't think so.

The biggie is the massive headache (to put it mildly) if the dealer goes bust. Any business insurance policies the dealer has will be cancelled immediately. If your MoHo is on his forecourt, the Liquidator / Administrator / Receiver probably would assume that it is part of the dealer's own used stock and / or the dealer's Bank may treat it as an asset that is secured by their Charge or Debenture to pay all amounts owed by the dealer to the Bank. Either there will be a quick and dirty trade sale of all the dealer's used stock, or the used stock will be sent to auction. Getting your MoHo back will be a really stressy nightmare even if you still have documents to prove ownership. You didn't hand over the V5 to the dealer, completed and signed as seller, did you ...? Er ... um ..

The worst case scenario will be if the sale proceeds were paid into the dealer's bank current account (not a separate trust account) shortly before he went bust. If you didn't get paid in time you are really stuffed. Any cash balances will be grabbed by the dealer's Bank. In all likelihood you become an unsecured ordinary creditor needing to submit a proof of debt in the insolvency. Typically they receive a only few pence in the Pound, many months later. The private person who bought your MoHo (or the finance company that lent them the money) has become the legal owner and you can't look to them for your money.

Only for the very brave and trusting. I would prefer to run the gauntlet of scammers and time wasters you might enounter when selling privately. At least you can filter them out and you have more control over the risks and process.

PS - I don't know how MHD operates but I would check them out thoroughly and if necessary get professional advice before signing anything.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think Camper UK would sell it for you on commission Mike. They are currently selling the attached Carthago for a customer I believe.
They still have a Burstner Grand Panorama which they have had for ages but I think you'd have no trouble shifting yours through them.

What are you going for instead of the Burstner?

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/used-moto...-a-class-silver-automatic-diesel-id_4071.aspx

Whilst I remember, SMC in Newark are also selling a Carthago on behalf of a customer. We were half tempted but they didn't want ours in part ex as 'there wasn't enough in it to cover their overhead' - my arse. :LOL:

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We looked at the van we ended up buying when it was being sold just as you are asking. Was above our price range as obviously he wanted to make something out of it and I must admit he didn't push it as much as their own vans. Anyway it seems the owner got fed up and it was removed from dealer and advertised in MMM and we saw it advertised and bought privately from him as it was now within our price range.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
All the above hence MHDepot they give you your asking price and put their money on top,pay for lots of advertising etc no messers....and you keep your van until they pay you(y) Once you have money in your bank you hand the keys to MHD and complete paperwork job done.....doesn't matter what they charge so long as you get what you want :D2
Terry

Id rather just sell for what i wanted , and not let someone skim off the top.

As for finance, anyone can get it, just ring a finance company, or look online, the notion that you have to buy through a dealer to get finance is just plain stupid.. you think they wont lend you money because you didnt come through a dealer???

People who have £75k to drop on a MH are not going to struggling for ££ , they will be in a position to drop the dollar , or most of it, without a thought, because if they weren't they would be looking at stuff at £35k.

The low end of the market is where you get the messers, be it bikes, cars , or vans, high end stuff will sell because the folk looking will be in the market AT THAT PRICE... same as houses.

Also with a dealer , they might be offered a van in exchange, which means they dont get their money till that sells, so you might have to wait for one 2 or even 3 deals before its clear how much yours actually sold for.

Look at it this way...YOU bought it, new i'm assuming, everyone in a similar situation to you is a potential seller at the right price, you have to know that is you decide to take a dip, for every £1k you drop, a guy on commission is only losing £80, and its not his money anyway.

Ebay classified ad. I guarantee their are folk out there that wont buy through a broker , because they know they could buy it off you for £5k less and you would get more money.

When we were looking , half the vans we were in the market for were 'brokered' so we discounted them straight away, found what we were after at a small dealer, who i visited, spoke to and explained my position, negotiated a good base price , put mine on Ebay and i had the money in 2 weeks, went back and did the deal.

The guy who i gave the money to had a financial stake in what he was selling and had a reputation to uphold, which he did, sorting out a few small issues we had (Staffordshire Motorhomes) and a year on , i am happy with what we did.

The MH's we were looking at that were brokered 4 were still for sale in august , out of the 7 we saw, we bought in early March, our market was sub £30k Tag axle/ or A Class, no Hymers .

These brokers themselves are just agents , self employed guys working under a name, which a lot of folk dont realise.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Surely the folk in the north east have loads of money given they don't have the opportunity to spend it on electricity, street lights or carpets... :whistle:

JJ :cool:
Have you seen the price of whippet food and pigeon food?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back