New Motorhome Zero Rated VAT Relief Rules For Disabled. (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just found this. The NCC, the trade body representing the UK's leisure vehicle industry, has welcomed new HMRC rules on VAT relief available on motorhomes adapted for disabled wheelchair users, which came into force this month.

Attachments

• Providing_zero_rated_motorhomes_to_disabled_customers_NCC_release_310317.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 249

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
somewhat annoying that the limit of one vehicle every three years has been introduced. a motorhome is rarely a primary source of transport. therefore you will be left able to change motorhome and car each at 6 years old. if the disability increases necessitating replacing the car with a drive from wheelchair vehicle or a wheelchair transporter within the limit, then the disabled person will be left without suitable transport for years

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Does anyone know what the "substantial and permanent adaptations" would involve?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
somewhat annoying that the limit of one vehicle every three years has been introduced. a motorhome is rarely a primary source of transport. therefore you will be left able to change motorhome and car each at 6 years old. if the disability increases necessitating replacing the car with a drive from wheelchair vehicle or a wheelchair transporter within the limit, then the disabled person will be left without suitable transport for years
Probably as in everything a few people tear the a--e out of it and spoil it for all, but that is the way it goes.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does anyone know what the "substantial and permanent adaptations" would involve?
something bolted to the vehicle. for instance a set of hand controls or a mounting plate for clamping a wheelchair. the simplest adaption is a steering wheel ball

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There wasn't a minimum period to keep a vat free vehicle, so I'm sure some abused the system.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I'm really going to stick my neck on the block here. Why should a motorhome be VAT free? I fully understand and support the necessity for a car as a means of transport. However, a motorhome is a lifestyle choice and by no means a necessity so why should it be subsidised?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm really going to stick my neck on the block here. Why should a motorhome be VAT free? I fully understand and support the necessity for a car as a means of transport. However, a motorhome is a lifestyle choice and by no means a necessity so why should it be subsidised?
some disabled people need the facilities of a motorhome to travel

everything from a bed to a toilet and shower

you dont see those in cars

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A van with wheelchair hoist plus loo and shower could be very useful for me in the future ...... add somewhere to make a quick snack and somewhere to have a snooze and it's an adapted motorhome.

There are a number of people who are afraid to leave home in case they get "caught short" as a result of disability - to be able to have a vehicle fitted with loo and shower could mean at least some freedom for them.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some dealers have been overheard promoting such fraud to up their sales
Any dealer playing naughty games will have to pay the VAT if the customer gets caught and wont

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Agree totally with @TheBig1 and @Puddleduck . As a result of medication I take I need the loo every 10 or so minutes first thing and for up to 3 hours on a bad day, only a motorhome can serve that need (or stay at home) and I feel fortunate compared with many. So for many with complex needs a motorhome is a perfect choice.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I think I read somewhere a boat can also be VAT free, however disabled people have very few life style choices due to there disabilities

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think I read somewhere a boat can also be VAT free, however disabled people have very few life style choices due to there disabilities
There are some wonderful disability friendly sailing boats, including those used in the paralympics. I tried one once (sit in seat and hand controls etc) Bloody hard to sail fast. Never knew that they would be VAT free

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Please do not think I am in anyway being disrespectful to anyone with mobility needs. I fully appreciate how challenging even the simplest of daily activities can be. However....and there is always a however, accepting that a motorhome fits the needs of an individual better than a car should we in the interest of the nations purse limit the amount of items one individual can have VAT free. If a motorhome fills the needs then surely there is no need to benefit from a VAT free car, as for VAT free boats, that does not sound right in my mind.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
as for VAT free boats, that does not sound right in my mind.
Slightly O/T but a layabout distant cousin lived in a 'community' of 4 other Rastafarians on a rented old boat in Brighton marina and the DSS paid the mooring fee (as 'Housing Benefit' I was told) of several thousand pounds p.a. ( ISTR it was £6,200 p.a.). I wonder if that housing benefit could also be claimed by a disabled person living full time in a m/home?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It does have to be a substantial adaption, a steering ball on the steering wheel is definately not sufficient.

Too many people were abusing the VAT relief including some dealers

I do agree that disabled people should get this facility as it does enable them to bet out of the house safely, enjoy the outdoor life with the comforts of home, shower and especially toilet close to hand

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It does have to be a substantial adaption, a steering ball on the steering wheel is definately not sufficient.

I do agree that disabled people should get this facility as it does enable them to bet out of the house safely, enjoy the outdoor life with the comforts of home, shower and especially toilet close to hand

Peter
I beg to differ about the steering ball not being accepted. somewhere here I have a written reply from hmrc where i asked, if combined with ramps for an electric wheelchair, if a steering ball would be classed as a substantial adaption. In short, their reply was that so long as the steering aid was bolted on to the wheel and not removable by a clip, then yes it was sufficient

what many folk don't seem to know is that if a vehicle is zero rated for vat due to disability, then any servicing on that vehicle should also be zero rated (exempt) for vat too

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Peter
I beg to differ about the steering ball not being accepted. somewhere here I have a written reply from hmrc where i asked, if combined with ramps for an electric wheelchair, if a steering ball would be classed as a substantial adaption. In short, their reply was that so long as the steering aid was bolted on to the wheel and not removable by a clip, then yes it was sufficient

what many folk don't seem to know is that if a vehicle is zero rated for vat due to disability, then any servicing on that vehicle should also be zero rated (exempt) for vat too

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Peter

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As a result of a m/bike collision (not my fault) I only have use of my left arm. It doesn't qualify me to be registered as disabled or receive any benefits but I must have an automatic and a Lodgeson 10-way steering ball with secondary control switches (indicators, dip, wipers, horn etc.). The adaptation, at my cost(£1200), is fitted by use of a spanner (not a clip) and was VAT exempt but my car wasn't, (neither were both of my new and adapted motorbikes:xwink:)

A real benefit of the m/home (bought s/h with terrific understanding and help from the folk at Johns Cross) is that I can drive anywhere on holiday (mostly 'over there') fully self-contained, whereas automatic and adapted vehicles of any type are not available. A Win/Win situation!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We looked into buying a new motorhome and having it adapted......the VAT saving would pay for the widening of the door and part of the hoist. The rest, a revamp of the interior to include a wet room. So basically, even without VAT the cost of an Konleaki came out at £97,500. So all of you who are not disabled and don't need these adaptations should think yourselves lucky! ......

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Enables me to travel with my family locally and on our hols. Wheelchair on board plus loo, shower, food and all those other things you need to leave a car and use a wheelchair to get to. The wider access door makes a ‘huge’ difference. After adapting my I don’t see myself in pocket but I see independence! and the ability to share experiences with family.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

if combined with ramps for an electric wheelchair,

Built in extendadble ramps are a substantial conversion

What buyers do not apreciate is that we would be liable for penalties and unpaid VAT if the transacton is not totally 100% correct and the paperwork and possible agravation now on a standard build motorhome ...................................

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
....... accepting that a motorhome fits the needs of an individual better than a car should we in the interest of the nations purse limit the amount of items one individual can have VAT free.

Why?

If a motorhome fills the needs then surely there is no need to benefit from a VAT free car,

I don’t know your circumstances, but does your motorhome fulfil all of your transport needs? You seem to be implying that those with a disability get too many benefits. As has been pointed out elsewhere on this thread, there can be additional costs incurred involved with adaptations.
VAT relief on transport for the disabled doesn’t strike me as pushing the boat out that far.

Ian

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
I'm in a situation right now that my disabled wife has had her full left leg amputated (hind quater) 4 years ago due to a blood clot in her hip, which has taken all her independance away from her, she is permantly wheelchair bound, has RA so cant transfer easily to a car toilet/seat etc

We are now using my private pension (i'm 60) to purchase a new Van with adapted wheelchair ramp at the back for local travel and medical appointments etc.

Also as she hasnt had a holiday for over 4 years and cant fly due to blood clot and toilet access, we are now looking at a american RV with slideouts that will be fitted with wheelchair lift, wetroom and hoist track in ceiling

I am now asking hmrc if we can get vat relief on both vehicles due to my wifes complex disabilities , even though they state only 1 in 3 years , else we will have to chose 1 vehicle and i cant see a 34ft RV being allowed in tesco's carpark or local hospital one either...

So i'm hoping HMRC will have some common sense and allow us to have both vehicles for local and holidays etc..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can only get vat relief on one brand new vehicle at a time (3 year rule) but you can claim vat relief on any adaptions to a second vehicle and work to maintain those adaptions

It may have been better for you to buy a used wheelchair accessible van and the vat relief taken off the more expensive adapted RV

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
You can only get vat relief on one brand new vehicle at a time (3 year rule) but you can claim vat relief on any adaptions to a second vehicle and work to maintain those adaptions

It may have been better for you to buy a used wheelchair accessible van and the vat relief taken off the more expensive adapted RV

Yep thats what i may well do fella , as the vat relief on the RV could pay for the adaptions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back