Best way to clean VERY oily engine bay (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Not our MH but MG car. The contents of the engine are now on the outside not the inside. Now a repair to the offending oil pipe has been done we are left with a bit of a mess, the battery is sitting in oil in its tray and oil has got into some places difficult to clean

Has anyone got any good tips for us ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Had a mishap with my car in France where I left the oil cap off and drove it for a few days before the warning came up. :Eeek:
Soaked up as much oil as I could with paper towel and tissues ( you can squish the tissues into crevices and tweek them out again) Then local garage steam cleaned the engine and inside of bonnet. Luckily, no harm done and my friend's husband is still driving the car nearly 6 years later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
GUNK age old remedy but be aware that it may leave all parts totally oil/grease free and encourage rust. There are de-greasers available that leave a protective film for this very reason.

Sorry 'Riverbankannie' I think it's a wonderful smell, but that may come from being brought up in a mechanical / agricultural environment when cars were DIY friendly.

Rod

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Talking about a 50 year old car here, any problems steam cleaning it?
Keep the steam away from electrics and be careful. Used too enthusiastically steam cleaners melt grease out of bearings and may not do rubber bits much good either.
The Army used to use them but went over to hot water washers a long time ago because of the damage done by steam cleaners

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I was an apprentice mechanic we always used Gunk applied with a stiffish brush to get in all the nooks and crannies and then a high pressure hose ie NOT Steam,

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't park it on your block paving when you do it or it will never be clean again!!!

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
The trouble with using solvents or detergents is the run-off. It will be nasty, and could land you in trouble with the neighbours/authorities/environment.
I would attack it in stages - mop up first, then mop up again, then maybe detergents. Solvents as last recourse.
However: do you want a concours finish, or just clean enough to prevent oil fires? :LOL: If not concours, leave it oily - then it will match what it's expected to look like, and keep it rust free (y).

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for all your comments, steam cleaning out, primarily because of collateral damage to electrics and block paving.
Now a bit of dissembling going on to extract heater and battery as both sit in trays full of oil. Some oil has been sucked into heater blower pipe and got inside the car though.
He has plenty of paper towel and luckily sun is shining today. Gunk degreaser will be used sparingly So hopefully not to completely degrease and remove protection and also not to get drips on said block paving. Will (try and persuade) him to put something underneath first, in fact I am going out there now to check!

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Phew, its in the garage.
The trouble with using solvents or detergents is the run-off. It will be nasty, and could land you in trouble with the neighbours/authorities/environment.
I would attack it in stages - mop up first, then mop up again, then maybe detergents. Solvents as last recourse.
However: do you want a concours finish, or just clean enough to prevent oil fires? :LOL: If not concours, leave it oily - then it will match what it's expected to look like, and keep it rust free (y).
Not concours but of our 2 MGs it is "tidy" and won best in show at Shepton Mallet Classic Car show a few years ago.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
You could always gunk it and then a very light "mist" spray of WD40 or something similar to add a fine film

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Seriously, though, I would not expect corrosion protection to rely on a greasy / oily film.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Get a degreaser with rust inhibitor (y) From an auto factors

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Brilliant little car. I hope you are not in the situation that we are. In the motorhome, not in the MG!
Sorry @Robinpompey but not sure of your situation apart from needing a new garage light??
Hubby has just fitted extra lights in house garage though:D

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Try Brake cleaner it will wash off most oil deposits does not require water to get it off as it is air dry able can be bought in 5ltrs or galls used in pump up spray bottle lots of it used by mechanics etc at workshop were son is a mechanic.
Cliff

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. All parts that could be removed and cleaned up by hand have been done with combination of lots of paper towel for mopping up, degreaser and would you believe it Motorhome cleaner on the underside of the bonnet. The hard part was getting the bonnet back on and lined up. It's quite heavy and awkward to hold at the correct angle (hold it still, hold it still, is still ringing in my ears !)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back