Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes, Ive ridden one and as stated previously, I think they are CRAP.

Have you ever ridden a Haibike, Scott, Trek or Kalkhoff - try one then you'll understand my sentiments.

Well, that's your opinion, which of course you are entitled to. Whereas I think they are not at all bad for the money. Remember you are talking sub ÂŁ950 here, which in some bikes stakes is not a lot of money. My hard tail Marin cost three times that ten years ago. They are great for a motorhome if you want to potter about and as I do ride to the shops for supplies. Mine is fitted with panniers for carrying the necessary and happily plods along and does the job. If I want to really ride a bike then I take the Marin. So horses for courses.

And please don't shout at me. Kisses. :)

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Plenty but just a few for now, hub drive, tiny battery, pathetic range if they state 30 miles probably be lucky to get 20.
Spend a bit more and buy something decent with a Bosch Crank drive.
A mate has a Cube with Bosch motor - he's on the 3rd motor in 2 years. The bearings packed up on the 1st two and they've been replaced under warranty. I know half a dozen people with Kalkhoffs and they're all happy with them.
Terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A mate has a Cube with Bosch motor - he's on the 3rd motor in 2 years. The bearings packed up on the 1st two and they've been replaced under warranty. I know half a dozen people with Kalkhoffs and they're all happy with them.
Terry
We have 2 Bosch powered bikes had them 2 years no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ah yes - and thus actually profitable then for the shareholders who've risked their money to support the business.....which'll include our pension funds, our ISA's etc so that we benefit from dividend yield without having to do the work.
And thus also providing sustainable jobs for all the design, engineering, marketing, logistics, R & D, warehousing, accounting, management, advertising, purchasing, quality control, and other UK staff, as well as funding all the massive amounts of UK Corporation tax, income tax, Employers NIC's and Employees NIC's, Business rates, VAT and all the indirect taxes that the business and its UK employees and distributors and retailers and others contribute to the UK economy.

And probably built by children for $1 a day.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just a brief point on gears and electric motors.

Unlike a diesel engine an electric motor produces almost constant torque across it's whole RPM range. This means it doesn't need a gears to keep it in it's power band. A diesel engine needs to be at around 1,000 rpm to produce usable torque without stalling. An electric motor produces maximum torque at 1rpm.
(For the more technical amongst you this isn't the full story I know, but it simplifies the explanation to the point where it is understandable.)

The Tesla cars for instance don't have a gear box.

On belt drive, I would have thought that direct drive would have been better. A belt will incur losses in the transmission of power and will not be efficient for regenerative braking?

Please note these are just my thoughts. I have not even tried an electric bike nor have I researched the subject at all. However I do have an electrical background.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just thought. I remember there is some new rules that mean that a bike has to be peddle assisted now? If human input is required we do have a power band so gears may well be necessary depending on how the human/electric motor interaction happens.

For a pure electric bike though gears are not necessary.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just thought. I remember there is some new rules that mean that a bike has to be peddle assisted now? If human input is required we do have a power band so gears may well be necessary depending on how the human/electric motor interaction happens.

For a pure electric bike though gears are not necessary.

Along the same lines, our's have the NuVinci Optimised 380 Hub, which is a continuously variable automatic transmission, so in effect you have an endless array of gears.

The real benefit for us is in busy cities and tourist hotspots where you are for ever slowing down for pedestrians, traffic lights, road junction's and then having to re-accelerate. We just twist the shifter on the handlebar and the gear ratio changes. Furthermore, you can do this anytime; if you are stopped at a junction, traffic lights, in traffic, freewheeling or pedalling along as normal.

All we have to do is pedal and steer - two things at once is enough for me!

It's a brilliant bit of kit, perfect for e-bikes and was one of the requirements we wanted when looking to purchase our bikes.

More info here:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
And probably built by children for $1 a day.
.......and who'd be literally starving to death if they didn't have access to such types of work paying what is in such economies a living wage.
Feel free not to buy any product made with any components or materials anywhere on the planet which doesn't include labour rates or holiday pay levels or conditions of employment which you don't like.............that is the choice of any consumer......if you can find any such products.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We've got two and are very happy with them. They do fit on the Fiamma bike rack by the way. There's is a lot of snobbery about ebikes. Sure you can pay ÂŁ2000 or even double that on ebikes but whether you need to or not I'm not so sure.
The G tech is really light, well made, has the carbon belt so no grease or mess. Depends on what you want to do on the ebike. For us, all we want is to cycle into town when parked up 2-3km from a town, cycle along canal paths and generally not go off roading or massive distances.
Best ÂŁ1000 odd (per bike) we've ever spent. By the way, have no connection whatever with GTech.
I'm sure people will sell you much more expensive bikes. Think about what you really need.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I bought a Freego Martin a couple of months ago and I have tested it on mountain roads and it was brilliant one of my better buys.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Gocycle are British designed and made but pricey. They are brilliant, only 16Kg, well balanced and pack down into a carrying case. Unfortunately you can buy 3 lower priced electric bikes for the price of 1 Gocycle.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
My wife has a freego regency dutch style bike cost 1000 ish I have a whosh mountain style bike 599 del, both have li-on batteries and 36v,250 watt bafon black motors which most of the hub motors are,we have had fold up electrics aswell,we would not be without ours they will do around 20/30miles if you pedel,this does however depend on the battery size I would go for the largest battery you can get for the bike if you do by one make sure you charge the battery every 6/8 weeks when not used more important in winter.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
GTEC IF YOU WANT A REAL ELECTRIC BIKE DO NOT BUY A GTEC

colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread