Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
I am trying to sort out a leak problem on my MH, peugeot boxer base 2003. The passenger footwell is constantly damp. Having a good look under the bonnet today I discovered that the drivers side drainage grill (situated below the windscreen ) has a black plastic shield type thingy on the inside, hence water cascading down as rain drains out rather than going down the vent into the cab.This is missing on the passenger side. As a result water is coming in.I have not idea why this thingy has been removed or when, it has not fallen down and I can see how to remove the outer casing to fit it but I cannot find a picture of it to identify the part I need to order. I sound a bit of a twit, I am not I promise just an old girl getting to grips with a bit of maintenance. Anybody know what this bit is and where to get it please

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have a 1998 Peugeot Boxer, i think what you describe is the same as mine. The open vent on the passenger side is the air intake for the heater and so is not covered, Any rain water going into the trough is supposed to drain out the bottom through a hose down the bulkhead and onto the ground. However leaves and other debris can collect in the trough blocking the drain, it then fills with water and overflows into the cab onto the passenger foot well. The hose on mine is easily pulled off and any debris removed. Hope that is helpful, Mike.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thank you Mike
Where is the hose situated. I wondered if I had a blockage. The roof of the bungalow is covered with moss the magpies throw it all over the motorhome and car.perhaps keeping it covered between trips might help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, the hose is a thin plastic/rubber extension on the bottom of the air intake, it is located about 10 inches below the intake grill and under the bonnet. The blanking plate you described in the first post, i believe, is simply that, to cover up an unused gap. It moves position depending on whether the vehicle is left or right hand drive as a number of items are positioned the opposite way around.
Mike

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thank you I found the pipe. It is black and quite loose. I checked by pouring water down it,not blocked. The surrounding felty insulating stuff feels very damp though. Should the pipe be loose or sealed to the surface. I cannot get at it because it disappears behind all sorts of engine thingies.
I think this is a bit of a challenge but should be straightforward. I still cannot fathom out why the football is damp. Thanks for your help. Love my MH!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Once you have sorted your problem, it would be advisable to get your Gearbox oil checked for water penetration. This emulsifies the oil. If allowed to continue the result is your speedo drive will fail, syncro on 3rd &4th will fail and the gear change will become very stiff.
It's, supposedly, a common fault on the early Ducattos/Boxers and the like.
There is a Peugeot modification available.
Our M/H suffered a speedo failure, the prob was a little circular thingee IN the gear box, cost £28, to fit £370, caught it in time before the syncros were buggered.
Took it back after 200 miles to check the new G/Box oil was AOK
NO! water again in oil. It is in the Garage now to get the Modification fitted, it had to go in for the MOT anyway, so asked that the oil be checked, LUCKILY!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thank you Ranitira, took Nellie to the garage to have the checks you suggested. Thankfully no water ingress in the gearbox oil. They changed the oil. I have not resolved the leak but I am still working on it. Many thanks. I am Cornish, living in Surrey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back