LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As per the title has anyone any experience of their gaslow filler cap being stuck? Went to the garage today to fill up the bottles and could not get the cap to move. I did not want to force it as I do not want to damage the bodywork but think that i may now need to replace the complete filler unit for the sake of a stuck cap.:mad:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Probably got the little plastic string thingy stuck. Just give it some anticlockwise pressure.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
never heard of one getting stuck but my wife had a problem getting the cap off untill i showed her it has to be pushed in and turned:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Plastic string thingy.
IMG_20170325_164024.jpg

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Thanks but I don't recall having that fitted? The last time I filled up it came off and went back on with no issues, it is a strange one!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mine stuck once, cause was little plastic string thingy lol

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is stiff all the time. sometimes I have to use pliers to get the cap off. I keep meaning to back the screws off and refit it.

I caused mine by turning the gas filler too hard once, it slightly twisted the body of the connector...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Mine was very hard to get off. It pushes in, twists but cannot pull it off due to rubber seal. Bit of silicon spray and it was easier.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Glad I am not the only one having this issue, makes me feel less special in a good way. If I need to replace the filler unit I am assuming that I would just need to remove the cylinder pipe and undo the 6 screws, then the unit should pull out? Vanbitz fitted the system and I did not see the fitting process.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks but I don't recall having that fitted? The last time I filled up it came off and went back on with no issues, it is a strange one!!

Filler is strong metal, cap is a bit of plastic, I doubt you can damage the metal with a bit of brute force.

Alcemi

Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
We had the same problem yesterday - after much wiggling and WD-40, and a very helpful garage attendant, finally managed to remove it. Put the cap back on and tried to remove it again a few times - whilst marginally better, it was still sticking badly. Then discovered that if we put the cap on upside down, it can be removed easily!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The cap is sort of spring loaded, our spring 'failed' as can only happen to me o_O then it was very hard to get out, it turned OK but wouldn't come out of the filler bit, bought a new one no more probs

On a sort of positive, I also lost the new one by leaving on a pump near Taunton on our way to France, ours never had the plastic retaining string fitted, so put back the springless one o_O, now bought a pack of 12 replacement covers (y)

Anybody coming to Chester who needs a spare, £3 each, no string but good springs, first 10 can have one (y)(y)

I feel the need to keep at least one spare :)(y)

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Filler is strong metal, cap is a bit of plastic, I doubt you can damage the metal with a bit of brute force.

Its not the metal filler I am bothered about, rather the possible effect of the torsional force on the mounting screws fitted through the vans sidewall. I will give it a wiggle with some pliers and see what happens, if all else fails a new filler without the hose is only £39.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
The cap is sort of spring loaded, our spring 'failed' as can only happen to me o_O then it was very hard to get out, it turned OK but wouldn't come out of the filler bit, bought a new one no more probs

On a sort of positive, I also lost the new one by leaving on a pump near Taunton on our way to France, ours never had the plastic retaining string fitted, so put back the springless one o_O, now bought a pack of 12 replacement covers (y)

Anybody coming to Chester who needs a spare, £3 each, no string but good springs, first 10 can have one (y)(y)

I feel the need to keep at least one spare :)(y)
Can't you use them for a lens protector. :rofl:

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
@Lorryman100
Re fitting in van wall
The one you see from the outside has the filler unit fastened to it with 4 countersunk screws & nuts.
The one you see from the inside or back of panel slips over the other one
and is usually fastened on with 6 self tapping screws into the housing which comes from the out side trapping the panel in between them.
Have never seen one that screws direct to body panel also I have fitted a few over the years.
Cliff

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had the same problem
Apparently there is a common fault with the white painted caps - its as if there isn't enough tolerance if the paint is applied too thickly. I sanded off the edge which helped immensely and applied silicon spray too.

In the end I asked my supplier for a new cap and haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Thanks all for the tips.(y) Went up to the storage site today and with the help of a pair of molegrips I managed to wiggle the filler cap out. I did notice how tight the cap was around the edges of the housing and noted before that there was about 1mm of clearance, now there is none. So has the cap expanded or the housing shrunk? I will order a couple of filler caps and try them for clearance and follow the above advice of sanding the edge of the housing if required. Just goes to show how invaluable information on a forum is, googled, binged,asked Jeeves and numerous other search engines the fault with no hits on my specific issue. Now I know that an uncommon issue is more common than previously thought and will drop an email to Gaslow with a link to this thread in case they are unaware of the issue.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can I suggest sanding the outer edge of the cap rather than the more expensive and harder to get at housing (y)

But better wait till the new one turns up see if it fits :)(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can I suggest sanding the outer edge of the cap rather than the more expensive and harder to get at housing (y)
I just went out and sanded the edges of my filler cap. I no longer need my pliers to open it. Thank you (y)

I got my calipers out and measured the internal diameter and noticed that it was wider than it was tall. Looks like it has been squashed a little when I twisted the filler on too hard. This in combination with the layer of paint made mine pretty much solid. Sanding has fixed it for me. However I will still free it off and refit when I get time.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Spoke to a lovely lady at Gaslow direct and she was not aware of any issues with the caps sticking but will pass on the information to the sales manager for investigation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back