Road into southern alps from Nice ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone driven to the resorts from Nice ? Wondering how the roads are.
Will report anyway after the event .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Many, many years ago we drove the Nice for a early season break, from memory it was mid May, being young and adventurous we decided to drive home via the mountains, only to find the roads still closed

This was a long time ago and there may have been more snow than normal that year, but they did say on the weather yesterday that there might be up to 1m of snow on the French alps this weekend

What does seem to happen is the roads a re cleared up to the ski resort car parks, but not right through to the other side, so not possible to make progress but good for access to ski (y)

hope the snow doesn't stop you

WildThingsKev

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090
Exp
Since 2009
Despite the 2ft of snow in the last few days when we left Valloire yesterday the roads at 1500m were completely clear. So, I don't think you will have any problems with snow but do check that there aren't any closed cols on your route.

The "Route de Napoleon" from Grasse to Castellane is a scenic drive, we did it a few years ago with snow all the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In the height of summer last year, I had had enough or Italy and needed to get back to France. Left Como early and took the motorways (i paid so i must have been desperate) and got down to Cuneo in good time. So good a time that we went over the mountains to St Laurent du Var (Nice). Beautiful road, however it burnt out our brake pads and teh red light was coming on (brand new brake pads so presume it was just the heat) and we ended up stopping every 20 minutes. It was a very long never ending road and there were aires but we couldnt find them. Very lucky to get into St Laurent and the holiday became enjoyable again. Your arms will ache if you do that in a day !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As a coach driver I used to visit the French Alpes frequently in winter, including once to Isola which in winter is only accessible from Nice. As said above, the roads are always cleared up to the ski resorts but frequently no further but there were always signs which informed which "cols" were open or closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Yes ill be driving from Nice to Isola then back to Nice to carry along south coast.
It looks a good road so should be kept clear if there's snow.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks
Yes ill be driving from Nice to Isola then back to Nice to carry along south coast.
It looks a good road so should be kept clear if there's snow.

It was a good road, if a bit hairy in a 40ft coach, lots of tunnels and blind bends (no prob in a M/H). It was my co-drivers first ski trip and he was sweating so much I had to take over for the last half!:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back