Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Just hoping for a little advice .
This will be our sixth jaunt to France and I think I've decided this time on Ile de Re / Ile d'Oleron area to Bordeaux late June early July.
Setting aside beach activities is there enough to do in the area. It looks like there are fewer sites as you go South towards the city so I'm guessing it's better to stay North .
Gratefully for any advice on the area or recommendations for good sites .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are dong that trip. Probably starting at St Nazaire and going no further South than Royan (he says) Going to be taking about a fortnight by the time we get there and allowing time to get back as we have 20 days in total.
At this stage I am beginning to research the villages on the coast. A detour up the Loire seems an option.
Iles de Re, Noirmoutier and Oleron look amazing.
I will be updating something, probably a blog and photos or something like that when we get back.
We are also returning in July when I have 3 weeks and going to do Brittany but we have to make Bordeaux before I fly back for 4 days work (wife stays out near Bordeaux somewhere) and then we have a month starting from there.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Twin lakes is near Bordeaux - nice friendly site, good fishing and a warm welcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Charente-Maritime, one of our favourite regions of France.

Ile de Re is a slightly more upmarket version of Ile d'Oleron and both have a similar character, but each one is worth visiting in its own right. Don't get too hung up on campsites there because a number of their aires are ex-campsites with grassy pitches and even electric hookups but for aire prices. Both islands have low cost campsites in or close to their fortified towns if you don't want aires. Both islands are best explored on bikes because they're flat, they've got good bike tracks, and MH parking is limited outside aires/campsites. The beaches are generally more exciting on their SW sides as they catch the ocean swell. The others are more sheltered and sedate. You have to pay a toll to reach Re, but not to reach Oleron.

Another island that fewer people mention is the small but perfectly formed Ile Madame which you reach by a tidal causeway. There's a campsite on it, and another close to the causeway on the mainland.

La Rochelle is great for shops, historic buildings, and its maritime museum. If you stop overnight in the Ave Jean Moulin P&R your ticket gives you bus travel to and from the centre. For more history there's Rochefort, although it only kept us occupied for about half a day before we moved on.

To the north of this area is Parc Puy du Fou, France's busiest visitor attraction outside Paris. It's unique - a history-themed park with the world's biggest open air stage show on Fridays and Saturdays and a massive aire. Google it.

La Palmyre is another favourite of ours. It's a resort but not overly tacky in the British sense. A variety of local beaches from wild to tame, good cycle tracks, wooded campsites, two aires and a Zoo. Cycling down to Saint-Palais sur Mer is also interesting. Further back from the coast are various amusement park type attractions if you have youngsters.

We're heading back that way this Spring for yet another trip :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back