Advice on Burstner Elegance 810G (1 Viewer)

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Hi Guys
Im brand new to motor homing but have had many caravans and statics and Im looking to purchase the 810G elegance 2015 9.2m.

Ive got c1 clearance on my licence and Im used to large vehicles.

I took one out on a test drive and was quite shocked at the level of squeaks and groans in the cab area. I fully understand that their man made and there will be some noise but this was on a different level. Ive read on here that the overhead bed sometimes squeaks but this was more the dash/windscreen plastics. The dealer did say they will do their best to eliminate them but no guarantees.

I suppose my main question is are they all like this or will a brand new model be different ?

Im also asking for your thoughts on this model, is there any pros or cons, and known faults, what to look out for etc etc

Thanks for all your help in advance
David

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
some A-class vans can be like this, usually the bed as you say. most order their 2nd A-class without a cab bed unless specifically required.

re: dash noise, well there is an awful lot of comverter work needed to fill the gap around the Ducato std dash...perhaps try a couple of vans (and brands) to get a better perspective before you buy.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Guys
Im brand new to motor homing but have had many caravans and statics and Im looking to purchase the 810G elegance 2015 9.2m.

Ive got c1 clearance on my licence and Im used to large vehicles.

I took one out on a test drive and was quite shocked at the level of squeaks and groans in the cab area. I fully understand that their man made and there will be some noise but this was on a different level. Ive read on here that the overhead bed sometimes squeaks but this was more the dash/windscreen plastics. The dealer did say they will do their best to eliminate them but no guarantees.

I suppose my main question is are they all like this or will a brand new model be different ?

Im also asking for your thoughts on this model, is there any pros or cons, and known faults, what to look out for etc etc

Thanks for all your help in advance
David

Lovely vans .. a friend of mine had one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have had the Elegance 890G since new. It sqeaked and rattled from the first day so buying a new one wont help.
If the vehicle you drive was empty (nothing in lockers etc) then you will get more squeaks. It will also bounce quite a bit more than when fully loaded for a trip, increasing the noise level further.
We had a Rapido previously and that was almost as bad.

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Yeah it was empty but it was most in the cab area

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have the elegance i821 and the over cab bed does make a noise but not that it would annoy me. Have never drove a camper that does not make a noise. When you think what you have in them.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi we have a 821 as well but it was very quiet on road test only rattles when loaded with all our rubbish. I even comment on road test how quiet it was.

I would test another and see what that's like. if you have not had a camper before they all rattle and squeak to some degree it's the nature of the beast.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our Hymer was very quiet till we filled it and i am always looking around wondering where it comes from. Also i think screws attached to things like blinds wirk loose a bit causing movement.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi David, welcome to the fun house. :)

Whilst you are confident to drive such a large MH have you thought of HOW you intend to use it/where you want to take it as the size of it may restrict you somewhat.

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Thanks all for the replies Minch Girl Yeah that's the kind of info I'm after. What problems is there with a 9.2 MH?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks all for the replies Minch Girl Yeah that's the kind of info I'm after. What problems is there with a 9.2 MH?
Minch! Minch!!!!!! Minxy please .... :X3:

Parking for a start will be more difficult the longer you go, manoeuvrability too due to the long overhang so you could have a bit of fun on some of the twisty roads and small village roads, also some of the more scenic roads actually have vehicle length restrictions. Weight is also a consideration as over 3.5 tonne you have lower speed limits etc, but I assume you're used to that anyway.

In my view it's more important as to HOW you want to use it ... if you want to go exploring out of the way places, nice little villages etc, wild camp you will find it more difficult with a long vehicle. We've had a longish one at 7.4m but much prefer our 6.36m one as we can go just about anywhere with it ... and some places we probably shouldn't have in the first place! :D2 The narrow width helps too but certainly the length would have stopped us from going to lots of lovely places due to the twists/turns etc in the roads.

So back to the main question HOW do you intend to use it ... :)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Du, we had a 2013 810G until last year, absolutely loved it, did 22,000 miles in it, used electric bikes (stored out of sight in garage) or occasionally hired a car to get about as we didnt want to just drive everywhere anyway. Once you get your gear in, use cloth bags, tea towels, and rolls of matting it will all reduce the rattles. Also get bedding on the bed ... it then shouldn't echo around so much. I did notice our bed rattling more when it needed re-aligning. Put some music on!
We have downsized to 8.5 metres now :giggler: we like creature comforts, like to cook, shower, no bed to make up, especially in UK weather. You are used to HGV driving anyway, we did wild, stay on Aires, etc, just rang ahead or looked for Aires without size restrictions, been on quite a few narrow /steep roads, .....odd bit of wheel spinning but not been stuck yet.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Ours is 9m and we have had very few problems with the lenght of it. The major issue is that on many campsites the access roads are not very wide so turning into a plot can be complicated and might involve back and forwards a couple of times to get in.
Be careful about getting stuck in dead end roads where you have to turn round.
We have driven ours all over France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco and have had the occasional situation.
Eg in Marrakech where our satnav anted to take us through a series of medieval arches at right angles to each other. We couldnt get through so had to reverse amid the madness of donkey carts, cars, motorbikes and horsedrawn carriages all of whom were focussed entirely on their own progress and not interested at all in giving way for us.
Another time in Meknes (Morocco) we had to turn 90 degrees right through a narrow archway off a single track road. It would have been impossible except for a bit of space opposite the arch into which we drove and then reversed through the arch!
When reversing or manouvering in tight spaces we use walkie talkies and I get out to give instructions to Gwen who does all the driving.
Apart from situations like the above, length does not cause any issues on the open roads as the back pretty much follows the front. You do however have to swing a bit wider on sharp corners and mini roundabouts etc. Watch out for the idiots who try and squeeze past you as you are going around a roundabout and dont realise that they are going to get squeezed as you swing.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We have an 890G. Prior to that we had an Autotrail Arapaho which had more rattles than our Burstner. I admit that if you are driving on a poor surface, with pot holes (pretty much any non motorway in the uk :)) it can be a bit rattley but on good roads it is a pleasure to drive and even better to live in. As Mixny and others have said you need to decide what sort of travelling you intend to do. Choosing a motorhome is always a compromise between on board comfort and manoeuverability. the reversing camera makes reversing a large motorhome really easy. We have electric bikes and hire cars for local touring which actually works out about the same cost as towing, when you take account of the ferry costs and depreciation. You can get a bit stuck turning round if you take the wrong turn and I do find myself planning my way out of fuel stations before I pull into them. You just need to be mindful of the vehicle you are driving and drive accordingly but there are limitations. that said I struggle to see how 2M makes such a huge difference but I couldn't live in a 7M vehicle so will never find out. I would offer the following things to look at and decide whether you are concerned and what to do about them if you are:
Security - We benefit from the large garage and put out electric bikes in there for safe storage. Take a look though from a thieves point of view; if you wanted to break in this is dead easy through the garage doors as the locks are plastic and easily forced and once in the access through the bed slats is child's play. What I have done is put D locks on each rear door and boarded up under our bed with about a million screws. At least I will slow the b******ds down if they get in.
Also put a handle/bar across the hab door.
Build a table/racking that works for you to maximise the use you can get from the garage. avoid putting things on top of each other as this becomes a pain to get anything out
no matter what motorhome you buy put rubber matting between plates and china that will rattle and get damaged by constant rubbing.
The galley area is a bit tights but we are managing.
the lounge is wonderful, and using the front seats is a real bonus that the Arapaho didn't offer
Ours is the rear island bed and I have removed the doors as there is only the two of us and we need a little extra room to get around the bed than is available
The lighting is fantastic
TV position is really good compared to some which have the Tv coming up behind the bench seat
storage is fantastic and better than most we have seen
Many don't come with a microwave. We had one fitted in the cupboard over the sink end of the galley but many expensive Catahrgos have insufficient cupboards to do this.
I reallyrate the Burstner elegance's and feel they are best VFM compared to cathargos and UK vehicles but buy one about 1 year old with all the extras on. don't be fooled into buying new and paying 320K for extras.

Good luck

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
No bother there great dogs had 9 in total over the last 20 years

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
I love it We're in France just now I can send you my number if you would like a chat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back