Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Ex caravanners
Hi all, having been a caravanners for a few years I now need to switch to motorhoming following a stroke in November last year. I can no longer shove the van around, even with a motor mover fitted.
I am a retired driving instructor and there is only myself and wife with our 2dogs and I'm looking for a suitable used motorhome to continue with the holidays that we enjoy.
I still have my caravan which I now need to sell.
Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
We live in south Wales close to the M4.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:welco::ello:

Can you go upto the nec this week? You will see all kinds of vans and it may give you an idea. We converted from a caravan a few years ago and it has been fantastic. So easy pull up on site and plug in :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
As you are retired and have a health condition, you might find it difficult to retain your C1 on your driving licence (assuming that you are not already over 70 and have not lost it already).
You need the C1 to be able to drive a MH over 3500 kg.
You will still find plenty under that weight but do be careful that you have enough payload to carry yourselves, the dogs, your "stuff", water, fuel etc etc. If you are unsure, ask the seller for a weighbridge ticket and get them to detail exactly what was onboard when it was weighed.

Happy hunting:)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Good advise from @Riverbankannie. Many motorhomes run very close to (or over) their weight limit.
After a caravan you will find the motorhome so much easier.
No setting up with aquaroll, waste master or winding down steadies and a wind out awning instead of having a row with your other half.
With the MoHo you drive up, put the handbrake on, followed by the kettle or a beer.
Then get to France and discover aires.
You will love it.............have fun and welcome to Fun.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Colin

lots of ex caravaners on here so we know here you are coming from, best advice to start with is pay £15 to become a full member as you will be limited to 5 posts otherwise and we will be left talking to ourselves.

Martin

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We have done just that in January. We had an Eriba caravan for 8 years and bought our first motorhome on January 2nd 2017. We've been out 3 times now and love it to bits. As has been said it is sooooooo easy...nothing much to do really. Having ensured we have a full water tank we get settled. We've bought some Thule levelling ramps so levelling up is a doddle..that done (if required) we put the chairs out...yes....even at this time of year...on Saturday we were in Somerset and sat outside enjoying the winter sunshine with a glass of something nice within minutes of arrival on site. Our Eriba caravan was tiny so we are finding the walk round our Adria Coral Supreme 680ST delightful. We love the layout of the Adria it suits us beautifully...make sure you know what layout you want then off you go and find something wonderful and enjoy your travels.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome Colin from the NE and a fellow ex-caravanner (y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
After a caravan you will find the motorhome so much easier.....

I will never forget our first time out in the motorhome, chucking it down with rain, pulled on to a hard standing at Keswick, which felt quite flat, checked my 2 way spirit level which confirmed no levelling required, spun the driver's seat round and opened a bottle of red.

Me and the boss lady sat there thinking "surely it can't be this easy" ?

Admittedly it's not always so straightforward, but just sometimes it works that way :cool:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Hi all, having been a caravanners for a few years I now need to switch to motorhoming following a stroke in November last year. I can no longer shove the van around, even with a motor mover fitted.
I am a retired driving instructor and there is only myself and wife with our 2dogs and I'm looking for a suitable used motorhome to continue with the holidays that we enjoy.
I still have my caravan which I now need to sell.
Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
We live in south Wales close to the M4.
Welcome. As an ex caravanner myself I can recommend the moho change. As someone has mentioned on here, if you can manage to visit the NEC show that would be a good start. You can see all the different layouts, sizes, pros and cons etc. We started off with a second hand van, just to see if we would like it, then we bought new. Missed the use of car when on a pitch, but if you're fit enough to cycle that is a healthy alternative...e-bikes maybe? Take your time though...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back