Fitting solar to Globecar Campscout (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone fitted solar to their Globecar motorhome, if so did you connect to separate regulator or direct to system electrics.
I am going to fit solar when I get our new Campscout next month.
On our present Auto Sleeper Broadway the solar had to be fitted to the Sargent electronics which restricted the solar down to 120 watt max.

John.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You could use a separate controller in either case so no need to go through any existing electrics.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
You could use a separate controller in either case so no need to go through any existing electrics.
@Mikeco On our Broadway I tried a portable solar panel direct to leisure batteries and it would not register on the panel but when I tried it on a spare battery it worked, tried again direct and nothing, stripped it down and fitted it on the roof and wired it into the existing 30 watt panel it worked.
Also a friend of ours with caravan with Sargent system had the same he had to wire it right back to the Sargent electronics.
That's why I want to know if same with Globecar.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
if its a new Globecar, (which I understand it is) then i think you will have a EBL119 Elektroblock, The simplest way to connect a solar panel would be to wire your panel to a Schauldt LRM1218 solar controller which plugs directly into your EBL119 with plug and play cables and charges both your leisure and starter batteries.
I’ll need to check with @eddievanbitz how Vanbitz as to how they fitted my Solar array to my globecar. AFAIK, the Victron 75/15 controller is wired direct to the leisure batteries , with a Battery Master topping up the Starter battery in the eventuality that the starter battery voltage falls >0.75v below the leisure battery voltage.
I think the Victron 75/15 has a 200w max solar capacity... i’ve got 150W panel on my roof and it is pretty much full.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i think a solar controller is a must anyway as you would kill your batteries by connecting a panel direct to them without a solar controller as the panel output voltage is >22V in the sun

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
i think a solar controller is a must anyway as you would kill your batteries by connecting a panel direct to them without a solar controller as the panel output voltage is >22V in the sun
@gerry mcg the portable that I tried direct to my leisure on our Auto Sleeper had a built in controller.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In our Globecar we have the Schaudt EBL99 and I bought the Schaudt LR1218 solar controller which just plugs straight in (once you get down on your hands and knees to see where to connect it as it's under the front passenger seat!). Easy peasy, we have a 60w semi-flexible panel and find that more than meets our needs and we don't use sites at all or EHU when away.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The EBL119 which you will have has a plug for a solar regulator. The connection is pretty much straight through and has no advantage against going straight to the battery via a regulator.
I have a panel waiting to go on my van. I'm going to use a Votronic regulator straight to my batteries. The Votronic will charge both sets of batteries, will handle AGM batteries, is made in Germany and costs less than the equivalent Schaudt model

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have a 2013 model Globecar Campscout & that came fitted with an EBL99. The EBL99 doesn't do anything with solar input other than offer a potentially easy place to make the connections.

The main point of connecting via existing 12V control modules is to take advantage of any current monitoring they may offer. If you don't put the solar panel output through the system, it can't monitor it & will will always report a worse situation than reality. If you have a different model of EBL, you will need to look at what functionality it offers - the EBL99 only measures battery voltage, so how the charge arrives at the battery is irrelevant.

In all cases you will need a controller (regulator), whether from Schaudt or someone else. In the case of the EBL99, it really doesn't matter what you use, the main benefit of the Schaudt units being ease of connection if going via the EBL.

I have 2 x 100W panels mounted transversely between the front & rear rooflights. They feed direct to 2 x 95AH batteries via a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller with the Votronic equivalent of a Battery Master transferring a top-up charge to the starter battery. On a day like today, which was sunny earlier, but is now overcast, it's sitting in the float stage at 13.8V & just under 0.5A being passed to the starter battery.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks all for your great help I know now what to order. When I get the new van just got to find out where to drill the roof.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks all for your great help I know now what to order. When I get the new van just got to find out where to drill the roof.

John.
I drilled mine in the roof just behind the passenger seat, as far to the edge as I could sensibly get and just within the overhead 'shelf' ... lots and lots and lots of measuring but I got it spot on. :D

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
@Neckender you probably already knew this and did it on your Tribby.

If you drill through the ribbed part of your Globecar's roof it better to drill through a raised rib than through the section between two ribs where rain water collects if possible.

Not long to wait for it now. Enjoy!

Cheers
Chris

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_0100.JPG
here is a photo of the 150w solar panel fitted on my Globecar 600L Revolution courtesy of Vanbitz.
Have you got solar prep? If so I understand you will have cables pre-led internally from being the control panel area down to the battery area which makes life easier.

Last edited:

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Hi John,
Good luck with your new Globecar and the fitting of your solar panel. Saw the Globecars at the Caravan and Motorhome Show at the NEC last Wednesday - very impressed. Our Broadway is at the local Peugeot dealers at the moment. It has just had its first MOT. It passed with an advisory - brake light and airbag light staying on, on the instrument panel. We had only noticed it twice on our travels and thought it had gone away. Luckily our warranty period ends tomorrow and as it was discovered just within the warranty period, the garage are doing the work for free, i.e. extending the warranty period to cover the instrument cluster replacement work. Thank god!!! Why there isn't an automatic recall in process for this issue! - Some will be caught out!!

Pete (alias Masai Warrior!!)

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Cooldude Hi Pete my Broadway passed its mot with no advisories last week, I had it done early as I wasn't sure when I would be picking new one up.
Also had new dash panel fitted last month by Peugeot as I noticed warning lights were lit dimly.
Will meet up with you at Peterborough.

John (artheytrate)
Ps welcome to fun.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I drilled mine in the roof just behind the passenger seat, as far to the edge as I could sensibly get and just within the overhead 'shelf' ... lots and lots and lots of measuring but I got it spot on. :D

@Minxy Girl Hi Mel did you run your solar cables behind the plastic moulding which runs from the roof to the floor behind the passenger door opening where the seat belts are fitted. Or did you run them on the surface in trunking.
John.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
@Minxy Girl Hi Mel did you run your solar cables behind the plastic moulding which runs from the roof to the floor behind the passenger door opening where the seat belts are fitted. Or did you run them on the surface in trunking.
John.
Mine fed easily through from the overcab locker down into the trim, now completely invisible.
Can chat and show you at Peterborough show. It was easy getting the cables through the side of the rooflight and down to the seat with no visible cables

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Neckender I put my panel behind my large Heki (or whatever make it is!) and then took the cable round the Heki to the front and then sideways across the roof so it was nearly above the passenger seat B pillar, I then drilled a hole through the roof (scary :eek:) after making lots and lots of measurements to make sure it was in the right place and managed to get it exactly where I wanted it so it came down right next to the facia panel for the overcab storage. I've just taken a couple of photos so you can see where it is in the overcab and also see where it feeds down the side of it which took it behind the trim panels/mouldings where the seat belt mounting is, right down to the bottom. I then fed along under the floor trim and up into the seat base ... I can't remember exactly how the last bit was done but I don't recall it being difficult.

DSCF5104.JPG

DSCF5106.JPG

It was fiddly to get it behind the trim panels even with the screws out but I found using a plumb bob worked well - I managing to drop it from the top to the bottom without much messing around then tied the cable to the string on the 'bob' and pulled it carefully down.

Attachments

• DSCF5104.JPG
    DSCF5104.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Minxy Girl Thank you very much for the info, I've just fitted twin gaslow, Double 240 socket in the rear for my CPAP machine, 12 volt socket for the same.
Hoping to fit my 200 watt of solar this week end, and then my bullfinch barbi point.

John.

Oh just remembered also fitted bling to mirrors and door handles, thanks to Jezport.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Right I've fitted solar panels on the roof and I've sorted where to drill through the roof. I've downloaded the Schaudt instructions for the LRM1218 controller. Where have others fitted their LM1218 or LRM1218 controller, as looking where the electroblock is fitted under the passenger seat there's no room to screw down the controller but enough room to just put it in there. I can only fit it where the length of the wiring harnesses will allow.
Thanks again for help given.
John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I put my LR1218 controller under the passenger seat att the front of the electroblock, instead of screwing it in place I used cable ties and secured it to any suitable points, it made the whole thing much easier.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My Votronic regulator is now in. Ive watched as it did its correct boost charge and is now
2017-04-10 14.20.42.jpg
maintaining both cab and hab batteries.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I didn't realise that continental wiring was different to U.K wiring but on our Globecar the brown wires are earth and blue wires are live, I found this out when installing a 12 volt socket in the rear for my CPAP machine.
John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back