Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Like most things in life motorhoming appears to be full of choices and compromise. One of the first we've had to take is oven or no oven? Looking at it, I'd not miss an oven as such but the lack of a grill might be more limiting, but on reflection the weight could be better used else where. So it now appears thwt we're now confined to cooking on three gas rings and a BBQ.

Entre the world of the double skillet, so praised here.

It looks like the original sellers to motorhomes are no longer around and the alternative site only offers a small versiion. Duely bought and delivered it looked to be of good quality, with somewhat dodgy handles (time will tell how long long they last). The need for a larger version saw me google 'double pan' which lead to the purchase of an omelette pan, basically the same as the DS but more light weight, with the same handles.

Back to the oven question, I've cooked rib of beef in the DS, minus the ribs,49 minutes, delicious and tender, but could I cook a home made pizza?

The pan if choice was the omelette pan., for size, with the dough and the sauce made, l lightly oiled the pan which although strictly not nessecary as it's non stick seamed like a good idea as it could. only help.

14 minutes with the top pan on, the base was cooked, the cheese melted, toppings hot and most importantly the crust was cooked on the top, not browned mind you but definitely cooked through.

I'm wondering what other unlikely items people have cooked in their DS's and the methods used ?

My next addition to the catering Team is Mr D's

Alistair

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Couldn't you do a pizza in a standard frying pan with a lid on or a plate over? Or do these double pans have some magic power?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume this is the 'alternative' DS type pan referred to:

Amazon product ASIN

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Couldn't you do a pizza in a standard frying pan with a lid on or a plate over? Or do these double pans have some magic power?
The key is to be able to get heat to the top, with a double skillet type pan you heat the top pan first (ie invert the whole unit) then turn it over and heat the base up and put the contents in, that way you've already got some heat above the food, eg pizza, to help it cook, a plate/lid wouldn't have been heated first so doesn't cook so well (we've done it), but if you have 2 pans of the same/similar size you can reproduce the DS but obviously they don't 'lock' together so not so easy to use.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Hobby not having a fitted oven brought us to buy a twenty quid portable oven from Aldi which when not in use lives in a cupboard. Works brilliantly and there's no annoying rattles like we had with our fitted oven that used to drive me mad. :mad:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our Hobby not having a fitted oven brought us to buy a twenty quid portable oven from Aldi which when not in use lives in a cupboard. Works brilliantly and there's no annoying rattles like we had with our fitted oven that used to drive me mad. :mad:
What is it?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
When we have EHU, we use a large electric 8-in-1 electric multi-cooker.

It does everything from a fry-up for breakfast to a slow-cooked chicken for Christmas Day lunch. You can fry, steam, boil etc and even make chips in it!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we had the chausson we bought a tefal bake and fry (similar to the remoska) It was great for the few times we used it. They don't make them anymore. Our new van has the oven/grill and it works well for pizzas etc. We use the hob and outside cooking for other things. Thinking maybe of selling the tefal but just waiting to ensure I don't need it for anything.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
One thing to watch when using a double pan is the release of steam when you lift the top off. It can be very hot !

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Fortunate in having a full cooker, but still take the remoska haven't tripped electric anywhere yet when abroad. New toy is a cadac and external gas point. Microwave which was in the van when we purchased it is in the garage at home. Ready waiting for when the one in the kitchen, rarely used, gives up the ghost.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was in Johns Cross shop this morning and they had a nifty gas oven, running on those little gas canisters which seem to be available everywhere. There was also a larger version with a hob on top. Quite pricey though. Lots of little electric ones around at half the price but then you need ehu.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/kampa-freedom-gas-cartridge-oven.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back