Jul 6, 2016
loughborough
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
33 years
Hi,
Can anyone help with advice about access to a motorhome when you can only stand on one leg! To be more precise my wife who already suffers from severe arthritis has broken her hip and after surgery has been told she cannot put weight on her right foot for 6 weeks.
We have been searching the internet for devices which might help and the only practical one seems to be the Powerstep portable steplift at a hefty price. Does anyone have a used example for sale or can you recommend an alternative.
Best wishes,
Bob.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi,
Can anyone help with advice about access to a motorhome when you can only stand on one leg! To be more precise my wife who already suffers from severe arthritis has broken her hip and after surgery has been told she cannot put weight on her right foot for 6 weeks.
We have been searching the internet for devices which might help and the only practical one seems to be the Powerstep portable steplift at a hefty price. Does anyone have a used example for sale or can you recommend an alternative.
Best wishes,
Bob.
Welcome to *FUN* Bob.
You find that some motorhomes have had especially wide access habitation doors fitted to cater for disabled people. Some even have a ramp, or lift, fitted. You can either search the net for one, or specify what you wish if considering a new van. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Cornes

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
loughborough
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
33 years
Thank you for the swift response. The irony is that we only changed our van a couple of months ago from a van conversion to a coachbuilt for beds which are easier to access etc. I am sure we shall overcome this but the layout of the motorhome makes it a bit difficult. We though we had considered everything when choosing our new m/h but have been proved wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
How awful for her. I wish her a speedy recovery,
How about a bottom shuffle?

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I use a wheelchair & crutches and have for 8 years. We have a wide door motorhome and the wheelchair goes in the garage. I can't use my left leg so use bars & crutches in the Moho.

Reactions: kcy
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My husband is an above knee amputee, his method of entering and exiting the van is to get his wheelchair as near to the door as needed. Stand up, turn round sit down on the top step ( which in our van is the floor of the MH. Shuffle backwards on his bum to the bench area where he hauls himself into a sitting position. To get around the van he uses a wheeled stool ( purchased on line as a beauticians stool). Saves all the expense of alterations to the van. It does for now.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
My husband is an above knee amputee, his method of entering and exiting the van is to get his wheelchair as near to the door as needed. Stand up, turn round sit down on the top step ( which in our van is the floor of the MH. Shuffle backwards on his bum to the bench area where he hauls himself into a sitting position. To get around the van he uses a wheeled stool ( purchased on line as a beauticians stool). Saves all the expense of alterations to the van. It does for now.
I admire mr cats resourcefulness. You really can't keep a good man down.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Hi Robert are you sorted on access to your MH. If not, try Ebay for a Milford hoist by Autochair. We bought one for £350 and it's brilliant. It's given us 4 years so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back