Fitting Tow Hitch to 2004 Peugot Elddis Firestorm (Autoquest) 100 (1 Viewer)

Mattchooster

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Elddis Firestorm 100
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

New to the forum and looking for some help with fitting a tow ball to a 2004 Elddis Firestorm 100 on a Peugot Boxer chassis. I'd like to build a hitch for a 4-bike carrier as I'm not happy with the load sitting on the rear wall. Underneath I see the regular Peugot chassis has been extended with some fairly meaty extensions presumably to support the floor and mount the spare wheel hanger. I'm thinking of mounting the tow hitch to the end of the extensions.

I was looking for some help from forum users who have an Elddis Firestorm with a tow ball to advise me if this is how their hitch is mounted. I'd be over the moon if someone could provide me with a picture of their hitch arrangement. I overtook one the other day but wasn't brave enough to flag them down and ask if I could look under their van.

Below is a picture of my van, there is a 3 inches or so behind the spare wheel to mount a bar to hang the hitch from.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_3053sm.jpg

Richard Hodge

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Classique 120
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Mattchooster,
I had a bumper bar (excellent protection for the rear panel) and tow hitch fitted to my 2003 Avantgarde 100 by Armstrong's of Brotherton, Knottingley and who are now in Ferrybridge, Yorkshire.
The Avantgarde 100, and Elddis Firestorm 100 are basically the same van.
We travelled down from Ayrshire to have it fitted.
Excellent job, I have photos available if required, although the van now resides in Yorkshire!
They even gave my wife and I a lift to the railway station to allow us to spend some time in Leeds whilst they were doing the job!
Link here. http://www.armitagetrailers.com/mhometowbars.htm
Excellent job.
REgards Dick.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The towbar support frame would normally go all the way back to the main chassis & not be attached to the support extensions which are basically to support the rear & not usually sized to support shear loads of up to 3,5 tonnes which a trailer can impart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back