What tyre should I put on my Spare? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@Pilote87 I think I have to be more precise: We are talking about spare wheel or putting one wheel on (you don't have a spare wheel) because you 're having prob with one wheel/puncture.

Where it changes for example it is if you have to go to MOT . Then, your wheels must be similar. Same type (road/snow/) same depth, same width, same make.

If you have an accident , you might have prob with the insurance if your tyres being different caused the accident.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
If you drive on alloy wheels and have a steel spare, do you carry alternative wheel studs for the steel wheels?

Just found this note in the Hymer Handbook (the spare wheel is one of the extras included in the "Silverline" upgrade: "The wheel nuts of alloy wheels can also be used for the steel spare wheel". Sorted!

Thank for the heads-up though, best to be sure now rather than high in the Alps in a blizzard (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you fit a cheaper tyre to the spare it could get expensive if you need it in France or Spain. In France and Spain tyres on the same axle must be the same make and type. Breakdown company will refuse to fit your spare and if they cannot sourse the same tyre as on your van you will have to buy two new tyres.
Its the same in Belgium I was told this by the breakdownpeople on the phone but nice recovery guy never batted an eye and just changed the flat tyre
Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Personally, at 5 years I would examine thrm carefully for any cracking and if they are good keep them another year, then spend the money on the gas system if they are good.

On the other hand, If they are still good you can sell the old ones on ebay, a white van driver will snap them up. And if you are considering keeping the van for the next 3 to 8 years you may as well run on better tyres rather than leaving them until the last minute and not get the use out of them.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Personally, at 5 years I would examine thrm carefully for any cracking and if they are good keep them another year, then spend the money on the gas system if they are good.

On the other hand, If they are still good you can sell the old ones on ebay, a white van driver will snap them up. And if you are considering keeping the van for the next 3 to 8 years you may as well run on better tyres rather than leaving them until the last minute and not get the use out of them.

Yes, I plan to try the ebay approach!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back