Euro cover (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi all. I am looking for a bit of advise as I am having a bit of trouble sorting out insurance. Be easier giving a bit of background so please bear with me :whistle:....

I took my camper over to Spain in December, did a bit of travelling and went to visit my Auntie who stays in the Murcia region. Whilst chatting to her we mentioned the possibility of keeping my van at their house. That meant I could spend an extra few days in Spain and fly back to the UK knowing my van was sitting in the nice weather of Eastern Spain. I am going travelling again in a few months so I wont have to do the Aberdeen>Dover>France>Spain route again I can just fly over to Murcia, pick it up and off I go.

Seen as they are looking after it for me I told them to feel free to use it as long as they get insurance over there. They have tried but can only get third party insurance. I am just off the phone to my insurance people and not only are they unwilling to add them to my policy they say they have to cancel my policy as it is not being kept at my UK address anymore. So bit of a sticky situation now.

I am sure my auntie has a UK driving license but she is no longer a UK citizen with no residence here.
Any ideas on what I can try next? Can they get their own policy from a Spanish company even though I am the registered keeper?

I honestly don't know what to do next so any help would be gratefully received.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
In a word - no.
Uk reg vehicles only allowed in any eu country for 6 months ( technically and legally) and must remain uk legal ( tax, mot, insurance).
Even with a Spanish address, you may struggle, but try a company called Abbeygate who will insure uk vehicles in Spain, not sure for how long though, and may have to state that it's your aunties !
Usual associated risks if you don't disclose the whole truth to any insurance company.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't see a lot of benefit as you will have to bring it back for mot , suppose you could try to get it registered in Spain in their name , then hire it off them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They can't drive it anyway if they are spanish residents as you can only drive a vehicle that is registered in the country where you are resident.If they drove it & were stopped it would be illegal.
Additionally you could insure it in spain , using your Aunts address & Liberty seguros, Mapfre, Abbeygate as they all insure UK vehicles & notify MID & DVLA. Depending on age you wouldn't get anything apart from <TPF & T from liberty & mapfre ,although abbeygate will do full com-
You still have the problem of it needing to return to UK for mot.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks for advice @gus-lopez , @chaser and @BreweryDave
I will certainly try phoning some of those companies that may insure a UK vehicle in Spain.

My vans an old girl (1991) and has a problem with damp and I have been told that I would get a few extra years out of her if she was kept in a dry climate instead of outside my Aberdeenshire house in the wind, rain and snow. So was hoping I could get it sorted for it to stay over there.

I'll update with any info after I get in touch with the companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back