Wife's chrissy pressie - tablet or kindle (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I have a kindle for reading books, but use my ipad for reading recipe books, some text books etc. The kindle is not very goid for nice glossy colour piture books. But i like all my gadgets and use them for different things.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
kindle for reading light works in the sun or in the dark i find kindle on a tablet harder to read

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Love my Kindle, wife has kindle and a tablet.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
BBC iplay lets you download and store some for a while.
NETFLIX is now doing something similar..
I use a program on the PC called "FREEMAKE" so DVD's I can convert and store on Hard drive or move on/off the tablet.
Also I use "Kodi" and some films on there can be downloaded.

There are various options.. If you can get a HDD loaded up then you always have the option to move things around and load to and from the tablet. It may even play direct, something i have not tried, as said when in van we run the hard drive via the USB on the TV... Films on the tablet are move for when I am flying somewhere.

Ref your sat nav back up.. With the tablet and android there are several sat nav options, i often just use google maps on my phone which is free and works as good as my old Tom Tom.
I haven't found anywhere on kodi that can download stuff, advice on how to find it please?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What a great forum this is, not just technical advice but sound matrimonial advice to go with it.
Just to prove I'm not a complete fool in the latter department I showed her this thread with the words "I thought I needed some advice, and if you read the answers you can think about it while you have your hair done."
Point about the heaviness and less "suitability for reading" of the tablet was appreciated and this won the day. So she still wants a Kindle.
And a Kindle it is.
Now the other bits
Her words before going under the drier were:
Fix the CD unit (Gulp!!)
Load films onto the 500GB Seagate thingy if the tv has a usb thing, if not use the laptop.
Sadly no mercurial words of advice regarding sat nav back up, but do we need a back up? I think the CD unit will be a big enough challenge, is there a Radio/CD section on this forum?
Thanks ALL.

Does your CD player have a USB slot? All out music is on USB sticks - it saves swapping disks etc.

Re comments on glare from tablets, there are apps that can change the screen colour according to the time of the day (dimming intensity and removing blue light as the evening kicks in) which I use on all of my devices.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I haven't found anywhere on kodi that can download stuff, advice on how to find it please?

On my tablet, I open Kodi, then mostly use Exodus ie TV shows.
Select the programme I want and when it gives you the list of where the stream will come from and you normally press to play.
Instead, press and hold, then you get some options. One being Download. :)

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Does your CD player have a USB slot? All out music is on USB sticks - it saves swapping disks etc.
No USB slot Fiat model year 2011, just has a radio and cd slot which loads cds and plays them ok but refuses to expel them. Managed to free Sam Smith from his captivity. Think my choice is either replace unit or find a way of repairing it, prefer former but dithering after a number of expensive purchases recently. And my awning problem has also overtaken it (as in other thread "Look what the wind has done to my awning").

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No USB slot Fiat model year 2011, just has a radio and cd slot which loads cds and plays them ok but refuses to expel them. Managed to free Sam Smith from his captivity. Think my choice is either replace unit or find a way of repairing it, prefer former but dithering after a number of expensive purchases recently. And my awning problem has also overtaken it (as in other thread "Look what the wind has done to my awning").

What size is your cd / radio? USB enabled radios are getting cheaper and cheaper if they are standard size.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
What size is your cd / radio? USB enabled radios are getting cheaper and cheaper if they are standard size.
Yes Halfrauds have a deal on some about £50 plus £25 kit plus £30 for them to fit it. Just want a resolution to my awning first!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back