Carthago chic c-line l 5.0 – Queen bed Advice (1 Viewer)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We hope to be ordering soon just had a quote / price for the new motorhome Im looking for any advice , did you have any of the extra's fitted below and were they worth it or did you think they were a waste of cash .

Price is 113k ( without any haggling ) but Im expecting some discount

Regards and thx in advance for your advice

Carthago chic c-line l 5.0 – Queen bed

Fiat Ducato chassis

Left hand drive

Heavy chassis upgrade from 4,250kg to 4,500kg

Engine version 180 HP Euro 6

Automatic 6-speed gearbox

Cruise control (Included in Super package)

Automatic air conditioning in drivers cab (Included in Super package)

16 inch alloy rims Fiat for f40 heavy chassis (Included in package? Not sure which one)

Rear steadies (Included in Super package)

Main cabin exterior

Central locking (Included in Super package)

Bus mirrors (Included in Super package)

Additional security lock in drivers cab door & main cab doors

Roof awning 4.5 m length

Winter insulating mat set for drivers cab (Included in Alde heating package)

Insulating double glazing side windows drivers cab (Included in Alde heating package)

Electrical system

Wiring for solar system (Included in Super package)

Voltage convertor 12v to 230v 1800 Watt (Included in Kitchen/Coffee package)

Electric windscreen heater with time control (is this like the Ford heated windscreen?)

Gas/Water/Misc

Fitting of safe in double floor

Kitchen/appliances

Tec-tower fridge combination with separate freezer & gas oven

Nespresso capsule coffee machine (Included in Kitchen/coffee package)

Air conditioning / heating system

Alde heating (Included in Alde warm water heating package)

Truma Aventa comfort roof mounted air-conditioning system

Radio / Multimedia / TV

Reversing camera system, double lens & shutter on rear wall, incl 7in monitor ((Extra charge in Super Package)

24in LED flat screen for TFT pull out system (Included in Sat & TV package)

Additional TV port in rear bed area cable, aerial & 12v socket

Satellite system

Teleco Flatsat Classic twin LNB (Included in Stat & TV package)

Interior/World of living / World of sleeping

Without fold down bed, overhead storage cabinet instead

Lounge seating group convertible to sleeping place

Living area materials

Bicolour leather stone

Please Include the following Equipment Packages in quote

Super package – include surcharge for reversing camera with double lens & shutter

Alde warm heating package

Sat & TV package – include surcharge for Twin LNB & rear bed area option

Kitchen / coffee package – with Nespresso machine

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd suggest shopping around a few Carthago dealers as discount varies tremendously.
We've had a 5.0 for 18 months now and think it's a great van.
Had full air suspension and hydraulic levelling jacks fitted on ours.
Best of luck with your purchase

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx for info and advice Robert we are having to go new as its the only way we will get the motorhome we want.

I have contacted 3 dealers to confirm list price next step to see who will give me a discount and how big ;)

Forgot to ask do you have or anybody have the

Electric windscreen heater with time control (is this like the Ford heated windscreen?)

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Paul
Didn't realise they offered a heated windscreen. Maybe this is a new feature?
We use a Karcher window vac to clear any codensation off ours.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Hi Paul

Not sure if it is a heated windscreen Robert but I will ask the dealer we also use the Karcher its a must have for a A class great bit of kit.

Paul

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We also have almost the same van as @Robert Clark and apart from a few niggles (hopefully to be sorted at its 2 year service next month) we are generally happy with it.
We ordered LHD, 150bhp, auto box, super package with cab air con, and had a chassis upgrade to 4500kg. Loads of payload left when fully loaded with full tanks.
Had drop down bed removed and extra lockers fitted above the cab, alde heating, satellite & TV package and wind out awning.
Rear studies were a waste of time so had E&P levelling jack fitted. Also had a Dometic oven/grill fitted above the fridge/freezer. The oven is a heap of expensive junk.
Lovely van to drive and live in and mostly very well put together but it is frustrating to find that some parts are quite cheaply made for the price you pay.

Richard.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Hi Richard
Thanx for the info , Lynne wants the oven/grill fitted above the fridge/freezer I will tell her what you think of them.:D

Still in Spain but we are hoping we can sort a deal out in the next few days ie how much and what discount they will give us.

Paul

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Can the oven be substituted with a microwave? I saw what looked to be an oven in a tech tower in a new Carthago at Elite but closer examination showed it was a matching microwave. More useful than a poor oven I would have thought.
You might want to look at a better quality tv than the one Carthago fit as standard. For the price they charge the Alphasonics are not very good, unless they have upgraded them for 2017?
Ref the heated windscreen, someone told me that Ford had patented their system using a heating element embedded in the glass so no one else could use it. Presumably the Carthago system must be different.
I know what Richard means about the overall quality of Carthagos being let down a bit in certain areas, but overall we have been very impressed with ours. I do find it odd though to see how holes have been roughly punched out of the cardboard Truma hot air trunking to provide outlets using a pencil by the look of things!

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx for the info Bob I feel alot better reading the above points and will have a rethink of the extra's.

Merc's do the heated windscreens now Ive got a feeling its some sort of blow heating I will ask the dealers expecting a few phone calls today

Paul

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Richard
Thanx for the info , Lynne wants the oven/grill fitted above the fridge/freezer I will tell her what you think of them.:D

Still in Spain but we are hoping we can sort a deal out in the next few days ie how much and what discount they will give us.

Paul
We actually like our oven
Set on maximum, we cook part baked bread in 12 mins
We also cook lasagna and baked potatoes
We don't have the grill

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
For the price they charge the Alphasonics are not very good, unless they have upgraded them for 2017?
I agree the price charged for the TV package is a bit much (aren't they all?) but I have to say that i've been quite impressed with the picture quality of the Alphasonic. Sound is poor on its own speakers but our sound is mostly piped through the radio and vehicle speaker system.

Richard.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Hi Paul

Just spoke to the dealer and the heated windscreen is the same as the fords

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you buying in the UK or abroad? I would have thought you'd have got a much better price abroad than here.

Not sure I'd go for many of the extras, especially the 'coffee' one! :D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't know why they call it a queen bed. Our queen is very small so a queen bed should be the size of a childs bunk.:):)

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Are you buying in the UK or abroad? I would have thought you'd have got a much better price abroad than here.

Not sure I'd go for many of the extras, especially the 'coffee' one! :D

I like my coffee :D2 we looked at buying in Germany but the exchange rate is so low and what will it be like in six months + there are 5 dealers in the UK so I wont be expecting to pay the full list price.

Paul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I like my coffee :D2 we looked at buying in Germany but the exchange rate is so low and what will it be like in six months + there are 5 dealers in the UK so I wont be expecting to pay the full list price.

Paul
You won't get much discount from UK dealers compared to German ones. Also if you have a LHD van to sell you will be surprised at German trade in prices.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Have you had any quotes from German dealers, you will probably knock 20k of that price.

We also need a a fast turn around as we will only be back in the UK for a couple of weeks.

Paul

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx guys for the info the deal is done :eek: Just have to pay now

Delivery Date 10th May

Paul

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I was buying the Carthago E line Yachting I noticed the tech tower didn't have a grille, that is something we would have had, the screen heating is just the Alde heating reversed through the screen vents to de-fog the screen.

When travelling you should be able to allow the heat exchange to occur between the engine cooling system and the Alde heating so that the radiators are warm when you stop and fire up your heating. Works very well on our Frankia.

I would remove the steadies and fit Hydraulic levelers, not sure about the air suspension, it is very necessary on the Mercedes but less so on the Fiat.

Enjoy, I'm sure you will.

Griff

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Who came tops (or bottom as the case may be pricewise)?

Emailed 5 dealers and I had to ring 4 of them as they never returned my email

Went with goeuropean as they had the delivery slot I wanted and they also did a good deal.

One dealer did under cut them by £750 but the rest could or would not match the offer I was given.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well done, I look forward to seeing her, just be happy with the deal; a good deal is where both parties feel they have prospered, without that either the dealer feels robbed or the customer does.

No more looking around or chatting down the pub because there is always someone who'll say....

" Why didn't you say, you could have had mine for £20k or I know where you could have had a fabulous deal."

What van do you run at the moment?

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Well done, I look forward to seeing her, just be happy with the deal; a good deal is where both parties feel they have prospered, without that either the dealer feels robbed or the customer does.

No more looking around or chatting down the pub because there is always someone who'll say....

" Why didn't you say, you could have had mine for £20k or I know where you could have had a fabulous deal."

What van do you run at the moment?

Very happy with the deal we have a Dethleffs Esprit 8.75 A Class now

The reason we are changing the van is we wanted a smaller van also a island bed.

We also loved the Frankia like yours so nice

Paul

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just caught up with this thread. Nice one. Happy travels in your new home well done, hope to see it sometime next winter. Will pack my slippers. (y)

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Just caught up with this thread. Nice one. Happy travels in your new home well done, hope to see it sometime next winter. Will pack my slippers. (y)

Your more than welcome to pop in antime Mikey I may have to borrow your slippers I wont be able to afford my own slippers after I pay for the van and the extra's .

Never ever look at the options page on a new motorhome :LOL::(

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back