The Eternal Unbreakable Triangle..........Mercedes-Hymer-Dealership (1 Viewer)

Captain Ahab

Free Member
Apr 26, 2016
Mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer
Exp
Since 2007
The Eternal Unbreakable Triangle..........Mercedes-Hymer-Dealership

In March 2015 I bought a Hymer MLT 580 which is basically a small Hymer MH on a Mercedes Sprinter. It came with a small number of snags but nothing more than any other motorhome I've had.

The Sprinter is dedicated to the UK with right-hand drive, instrument panel in Imperial measurements, mirrors and wiper acceptable for driving in this country. There are alterations you can make to the dashboard display to show metric and this is useful when going abroad to have a MPH speedo' and KPH digital readout at the same time.

Then I discovered that it didn't show Miles per Gallon but Litres per 100/Km and I cannot change this to Imperial MPG. An annoying factor as I have always found this an early indicator of problems. The Sprinter advertising talks about MPG, the 'miles' left in the tank are displayable so the calculation is being done in MPG but I am being kept out of the loop.

Step 1 ...... Email to Dealership. Ignored

Step 2 ...... Email to Mercedes Customer services.

Their Reply ...................

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

I have contacted our technical team regarding the mph display settings on your motorhome. They have advised these are not set by Mercedes-Benz so have recommended you contact Hymer directly who should know whether changing these settings is possible or not.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact me or any of my colleagues.

Yours sincerely

Simon Duckworth

Customer Service UK

Step 3 ..... Into Dealership, small warranty problems, ask them to look at it. ......

Reply ......'Cannot be altered, live with it'

Step 4 ..... Contact Hymer direct and explain problem.

Reply .....

Subject: AW: WG: General Inquiry_________[261681]

The problem you describe concerns Mercedes. Unfortunately we can not give you further advise than contacting a Mercedes dealer or the technical support of Mercedes.

Hymer GmbH & Co. KG

Carina Wohnhaas

Technischer Kundendienst

Holzstr. 19

88339 Bad Waldsee

Step 5 ..... I send Hymer the Email I have from Mercedes, saying 'contact Hymer'

Reply ...... There has not been one!!!!

Has anyone any ideas?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If there's a trip computer on the vehicle, they often have the option to toggle between imperial & metric measurements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab

Free Member
Apr 26, 2016
Mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks ..Sue, much appreciate it. This one option you cannot toggle, cannot get any sense and is driving me crazy.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I struggled to get mpg, unsuccessfully.
Mind you, took me 3 weeks to find out how to zero the trip meter ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone any ideas?

Hymer are house builder, the electrics are all Mercedes.

You might get more results hunting round Mercedes forums, there must be a lot of similarity between car/van chassis in the electronics, they won't have a different software team for each range.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter under my Frankia and it too displays Liters per 100 km. I do not have the ability to change it so I now have an app on my phone that will convert it but it really isn't too much to do in simple arithmetic.

Mine works out often around 15litres/100km.

I work it out as approx 60 miles to 100 km and roughly 5 litres to 1 Imperial gallon.

So I'm using roughly 3 gallons to 60 miles or 1 Gallon per 20 miles. i.e 20mpg

In truth 14.182 litres per 100 KM = 20mpg so I'm around 18-19 mpg simples. I keep a spread sheet going on as I put the miles on because I have seen some pretty optimistic trip computers in my time so I keep a check as any change is a good indicator of performance issues. I have also noticed just how accurate this trip computer is.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
If I remember correctly scroll through until you get to KM's then hit the mode button, this should change it from km's to miles.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Also the calculation is not actual fuel used but a computer model, I have an Iveco with MPG readout and I meticulously keep fuel and miles records on an Android app, the vans MPG is always more flattering than the actual!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If there's a trip computer on the vehicle, they often have the option to toggle between imperial & metric measurements.

except on the Mercedes Sprinter like mine.

If I remember correctly scroll through until you get to KM's then hit the mode button, this should change it from km's to miles.

However, I am prepared to be corrected, but I think this just does the Km,s to Miles on mileage covered not MPG.

Like @Popeye I use the very simple method he describes. Except there is actually 4.566 L in a gallon ;)

today I drove to work in my van and recorded 10.8L per 100km after a while I do not have to even think about it now, I know pretty much two things. One how quickly I can convert things, two, how crap MPG is :)

simple exercise, drive at 50-55 touring on cruise and I am about 24 mpg..

Get that big V6 Auto purring where it should be sat around the 65-70 and reach for the wallet it's 18-20 mpg:eek:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Like @Popeye I use the very simple method he describes. Except there is actually 4.566 L in a gallon ;)

In fact there are 4.5461 litres in an Imperial gallon but to round up to 5 is close enough to see if there is a marked change in fuel consumption.

My trip computer will change from metric to Imperial and Fahrenheit to Celsius but it will only give fuel consumption in Litres/100 km .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
@Popeye see, knew you were wrong... At it again, spouting rubbish off, I have just been and got official confirmation from a physicist friend of mine and the answer is actually 4.54609 L per Gallon. you should be more careful, this could lead someone to thinking they are getting "22.179" MPG as opposed to "22.17856" mpg and hence make them regret the day they purchased that van over the Iveco. :p:p:p

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agree with Paul and Griff, Hymer with Merc Sprinter engine 18mpg unless I drive like a geriatric vicar and can nurse about 20mpg out of it, doesn't make much odds, still get 18mpg doing 70 on motorway. Speaking as someone who had occasion to read the manual in great detail ( not something I normally do) when his whole dash reverted to German as a result of messing with the various button in the middle of a journey, I would confirm that you can change most perameters but not km/litre to mpg, well I couldn't anyway. Be interested to know if there is a way to do this though! Oh and if your too worried about your mpg you can always get on your:cycle::rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
mine gives mpg, on a 2007 chassis so might be older than you lot though o_O it was like that when I got it so not sure how and not really keen to swap it back to metric in case it gets stuck there (y)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I wouldn't bother with the computer read out, my x250 Ducato tells me I get a near constant 26.8 mpg, brim to brim checks reveal that the true figure is 22mpg so I have stopped looking at the readout.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit I much prefer KPH to MPH anyway as it is easier to do the calculations and also the km just go so quickly when travelling that you feel like you ARE getting somewhere!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
mine gives mpg, on a 2007 chassis so might be older than you lot though o_O it was like that when I got it so not sure how and not really keen to swap it back to metric in case it gets stuck there (y)
Ah but David, yours is a one off. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back