mercedes based "C" class americanfreightliner chassis (1 Viewer)

wee shuey

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over 20 yrs yrs
Hi all - we have a Fleetwood Pulse 2009 with the Merc 3 litre auto box based on the freightliner chassis . it is a very nice vehicle and suits us fine with one exception - like most mercs it suffers from side to side movement. and I was considering fitting airrides or stiffer shocks but so far have been unable to get very little feedback from any other members on here as to whether they have done the same thing and with what results???
The last time I fitted airrides to a merc single back wheel chassis for the same problem it made very little difference but the freightliner is double wheeled at the rear and 5.2 ton and from what I gather from firms willing to fit airrides they dont know if it will make any substantial difference - anyone done this before and can give me some info
many thanks in advance - wee shuey

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Wee Schuey, I saw this on a Sprinter- forum-"air helper springs crush frame" may be worth checking out?
cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
wee shuey

wee shuey

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over 20 yrs yrs
airride suspension

Hi, Wee Schuey, I saw this on a Sprinter- forum-"air helper springs crush frame" may be worth checking out?
cheers, Dave:thumb:
Thanks davejen - I have followed this american thread and it refers to HEAVY OVERLOADING on a truck chassis which was not designed to carry such weights and regretably I dont see the claimant has much of a case - he bought something which did not appear to be fit for the job he wanted it to do so I dont think he has much of a case to claim - I was specifically hoping for a reply from another frightliner chassis owner as the last time I fitted airride springs on my hymer they didnt do much at all and cost me extra for the mercedes bits in addition to the airrides themselves, so I am understanda\bly wary of making the same mistake twice but thanks all the same for your input - wee shuey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
A beefed up anti roll bar would be best. Are such things available for the Sprinter?

I find that with my older model it corners better than I can stow my gear.:winky:

nemu

Free Member
Mar 14, 2008
Funster No
Exp
I have been thinking about fitting some air suspension to try to stop the wallowing I sometimes get as I drive at walking pace over pot holes

as a result ( I too have followed that thread in the states ) I have sort of decided on the Dunlop system that MARCLELEISURE sell , but just cant quite decide if I need it or like you would it actually fix the problem

Anyway below is the response to an email I received from Dunlop systems regarding their system:-

"Our auxiliary air suspension system when fitted acts as an additional spring, that by way of adding or removing air pressure you can adjust the stiffness.
This has the effect of stiffening your suspension.

The problem you are experiencing, is an effect of springs that are too soft, or fully loaded and the vehicle having a high centre of gravity. a common problem with motorhomes.
We can't change the load or the centre of gravity but we can stiffen the suspension, you should see a reduction in this wallowing.

Our system is not approved by Mercedes as it is a bolt on accessory. Additionally we do not interfere with any of the original systems so warranty will not be invalidated, we fit hundreds of these systems every year in the UK and across Europe."

WeeShuey :please let me know how you get on !!

Last edited:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Air Suspension

Nemu, I have the Dunlop system fitted to our Sprinter. It definately improves matters when fully laden, the only problem is remembering to let some of the air out when the motorbike etc is not on board. If I don't it certainly makes the cutlery rattle.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back