Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have ordered a Carthago Compactline I 143 and have currently opted for the Media Pack which includes a 22" LED TV which has a list price if purchased separately of £1020. Does anyone have any experience of this (very expensive) TV and are there any better / cheaper alternatives which can be fitted to the TFT pull-out system?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If Im not mistaken the TV will either pop up from behind the seat or pop down from behind a cupboard. If you are able to source an alternative, then dimensions may have to comply with these factors. May be best sticking with the Carthago expensive one.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Carthago supply Carthago branded Alphasonic tvs, which unless the 2017 models have been uprated from the 2016 models like ours are really ordinary, non-HD units worth nothing like the price they charge. We are having ours replaced by Vanbitz for an Avtex next month, but you do have to take into account the slide up bracket and included fitted aerial. I believe the bracket can be a bit awkward to fit different tvs to but not impossible (Vanbitz are confident!) but it's nice and neat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I believe one of the packs adds the slide up system to accommodate a tv and another 'pack' includes the TV. Just add the mechanical slide and fit your own tv

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The bracket will take an 18.5" Avtex. The 21" might also fit, but not without a lot of fiddle. You'll need the 'Comfort Pack' to get the wiring, which includes a TV aerial, but you'll probably be getting that anyway. The 'Media Pack' includes Radio & Reversing camera as well as the TV. In my view, the Avtex is better than the Alphatronics so you may feel better off by not having the media pack but bear in mind that getting everything from one source will make things easier if you have any problems later. Do not have the Carthago alarm, though. I believe it's not not accepted by insurance companies as it's not Thatcham listed.

ADD-> The TV bracket is included in the 'Comfort Pack'

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Carthago supply Carthago branded Alphasonic tvs, which unless the 2017 models have been uprated from the 2016 models like ours are really ordinary, non-HD units worth nothing like the price they charge. We are having ours replaced by Vanbitz for an Avtex next month, but you do have to take into account the slide up bracket and included fitted aerial. I believe the bracket can be a bit awkward to fit different tvs to but not impossible (Vanbitz are confident!) but it's nice and neat.
Please let us know how this goes in terms of cost, fit and quality. It's definitely something I'd consider. If @eddievanbitz is confident I'd say it was a certainty they'll get it done. Very happy with the work they've already done for me.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As previously, I think the price includes the bracket, which is the bit you need.
I had an 18.5 avtex fitted to my bracket, which pushes down behind the offside sofa.
Works perfectly.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
New ones slide out diagonally from an overhead locker. A much simpler movement than was in the earlier models.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think the overhead locker tv is specific to the 143 and maybe one or two other models. The rest still have the pop up from behind the sofa I believe? It gets very warm in there because its directly above the Truma!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The thread refers to Compactlines, of which there are three different models. Living quarters are the same in all. The variants arise from the bedroom configurations.

OP
OP
cbrown1360

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
The thread refers to Compactlines, of which there are three different models. Living quarters are the same in all. The variants arise from the bedroom configurations.
That is correct - all of the 2016 and 2017 Compactlines have the TV stored in the overhead locker. Not obvious whether this makes it easier or more difficult to fit a non-Carthago LED?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We had the Carthago tv replaced by Vanbitz and it's a massive improvement in terms of the picture quality. What's not so successful though is the installation in the slide up bracket. The 21" Avtex was a bit too big to fit and the 18.5" which we got looks lost in there! There is bare metal showing all around the set as well as exposed wires to the side and bottom which I will have to disguise with some sort of infill pieces, possibly foam. That's one of my jobs for the winter. A minor problem that I hadn't thought of is that the Avtex speakers are at the back and bottom of the set, so some of the volume (I am hard of hearing) disappears into the back of the seat. I have resolved this though with the purchase of a Bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth speaker so we now have an extension that can be moved at will.

I would certainly change the tv to an Avtex without a seconds thought but be prepared possibly for a bit of jiggery pokerery with fitting it in, unless the 2017 model you are getting has a bigger slide bracket to accommodate the bigger Carthago set.

OP
OP
cbrown1360

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is your TV mounted on the bracket that slides diagonally into the overhead locker or does it pop up from behind the sofa?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We had the Carthago tv replaced by Vanbitz and it's a massive improvement in terms of the picture quality. What's not so successful though is the installation in the slide up bracket. The 21" Avtex was a bit too big to fit and the 18.5" which we got looks lost in there! There is bare metal showing all around the set as well as exposed wires to the side and bottom which I will have to disguise with some sort of infill pieces, possibly foam. That's one of my jobs for the winter. A minor problem that I hadn't thought of is that the Avtex speakers are at the back and bottom of the set, so some of the volume (I am hard of hearing) disappears into the back of the seat. I have resolved this though with the purchase of a Bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth speaker so we now have an extension that can be moved at will.

I would certainly change the tv to an Avtex without a seconds thought but be prepared possibly for a bit of jiggery pokerery with fitting it in, unless the 2017 model you are getting has a bigger slide bracket to accommodate the bigger Carthago set.
If you have a Bluetooth head unit you may be able to pair it to the TV. I've managed to do it with ours and have the option of tv sound through head unit

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Carthago is on the list. You need a HD TV which Axtex are. I would speak to VanBitz and see what they have to say. Buy your own Avtex and get them to fit during a trip out. Cancel the TV with Carthago if you can.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back