Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
im new to motorhomes and have only had one for two weeks and I'm having issues with heating and hot water.

I've searched the fourms and to find symptoms the same as I'm having. I have tried all settings on my truma boiler gas, and gas and electric but can't get the dammed thing to work. I have a guy coming to look at it from the dealer I got it from in the morning. The boiler will initially light but will only run for about five mins then shut down with no lights at all on the control panel. The red light does not come on. It produces very little heat and will not heat the water. It all worked fine when I collected it but now it's dead. Due to be going away this weekend any have any recommendations as to what it could be. I've changed the gas regulator but this has changed nothing.

Any help would be great. Thank you

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'm not sure whether this could be problem or not as I don't know this specific Truma. Have any automatic frost settings kicked in in this cold snap and either dumped the water, or disabled the boiler.?
Sorry cannot help further but hopefully at least replying will bump it up the list.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It's had the bump valve removed, not by us but was like it when we got it and has a manual flip valve before the pump that is also leaking but is being replaced tomorrow. I'm sure it was a truma 6 e I check again as i could be searching for the wrong unit.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Tonyidle,

Yeh battery's fully charged, well according to the control panel it is. I have tried with it hooked up to the mains. It almost like the boiler thinks it has reached temperature and shuts down. You can actually hear a flap shut when it shuts off. The boiler is in a really awkward place and I can't get to the panel on the side to see any thing on the boiler other than the two fans and the pcb board. All fans are going and run when it shuts down. But thinking about the low power shut off I've also lost the electric igniters to all the gas rings. Maybe I have got an electric fault somewhere.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Well that could be good news. If ignitors are not working, also, the fault is probably not within your Truma. (Good job, because it was starting to sound like a motherboard fault and they're not cheap.
Your next problem is to trace the fault. Start looking for a blown fuse. If you find one, try to determine why it blew or you could be changing it again.
If you need to come back, try to be a little more specific about what you have.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well that could be good news. If ignitors are not working, also, the fault is probably not within your Truma. (Good job, because it was starting to sound like a motherboard fault and they're not cheap.
Your next problem is to trace the fault. Start looking for a blown fuse. If you find one, try to determine why it blew or you could be changing it again.
If you need to come back, try to be a little more specific about what you have.

Rogher,

Thanks for the info, I've gone through the fuses and all seem fine. However Im not 100% sure if there are any in line fuses tucked away somewhere. Only had the van two weeks and the first time i tried it the heating and water just shut down. All worked fine on handover, should be staying in forest of dean this weekend but might have to give it a miss with no heating.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sorry, I don't think I can help much more. Fuses can be hidden all over the place but someone may be able to tell you where to look if you said what m;h you have. Now may not have been the time you'd planned to do it, but it's a good idea to go through all your fuses and find out what they do (and document it).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have you removed the transit cover from the flue? its designed to shut off as described if the cover is left on by mistake

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Sorry forgot the mention the most important information, it a 2009 hobby siesta 650. And heater unti is a combi 6E.

It hasn't got a flue cover on it, just been through all fuses and all are ok. Got an engineer coming out today to have a look and replace the pump. I'll report back when I find out what the issue is.

Thanks for all you help and advice.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
FYI .. the combination 6e will work evenue if it has no water in it.
In addition to the panel with the pcb in it there is a further panel on the other side that has a reset button on it (under a flap).
If your familiar with the way the controls work then try it on electric only (whilst on ehu) . and on gas only ... see if either work.
Then call truma tech on 01283 586020.. ask for tech help and they will try and diagnose over the phone for you.

If you're not sure of the controls there is a diagram in resources that explains it well submitted by @Minxy Girl
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/truma-dials-diagram.183/

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
FYI .. the combination 6e will work evenue if it has no water in it.
In addition to the panel with the pcb in it there is a further panel on the other side that has a reset button on it (under a flap).
If your familiar with the way the controls work then try it on electric only (whilst on ehu) . and on gas only ... see if either work.
Then call truma tech on 01283 586020.. ask for tech help and they will try and diagnose over the phone for you.

If you're not sure of the controls there is a diagram in resources that explains it well submitted by @Minxy Girl
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/truma-dials-diagram.183/

I don't have any fault codes flashing on the boiler unfortunately so maybe it's not a boiler fault. Three lights come on then when the boiler lights then when it shuts down only the green light stays on.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't have any fault codes flashing on the boiler unfortunately so maybe it's not a boiler fault. Three lights come on then when the boiler lights then when it shuts down only the green light stays on.
Are you sure you're setting it to gas only ... single flame on one controller.. turn the control to the bottom setting (heat and hot water) and turn the thermostat up to max.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Are you sure you're setting it to gas only ... single flame on one controller.. turn the control to the bottom setting (heat and hot water) and turn the thermostat up to max.

Yeh I've tried it on all power settings, gas only, gas and electric, water and heating, heating only. Got guy here now, so will update when he's gone. Fingers crossed it I'll be sorted otherwise it could be a cold first trip away.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Update,

Well potentially we're all sorted, the engineer fitted a new pump and watched the system start and shut down.
After an hour of him tinkering he informs that nothing was wrong and all is working fine. We now have hot water and some form of heating where as before we had nothing so something must have been lose somewhere. The heating isn't great but then due to the outside temperature at the moment I don't suppose the van will be toastie for a few hours. I'm going to leave it run for a few hours and see how warm it actually gets.

Will definitely be off to Argos to get a fan heater before we go.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Good to hear you have it sorted.
If it's working correctly ....
Set it to gas (flame) ...
Turn the other dial down 1 or 2 clicks for heating or heating and water. turn the thermostat clockwise to max.
Within a few minutes you should start to hear a fan whiring faster and faster to a sort of whooshing sound and you should get lots of hot air from all vents.

Btw .. another common issue with these - easily sortable is that the duct pipes detatch from the boiler. make sure they are all attached.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Good to hear you have it sorted.
If it's working correctly ....
Set it to gas (flame) ...
Turn the other dial down 1 or 2 clicks for heating or heating and water. turn the thermostat clockwise to max.
Within a few minutes you should start to hear a fan whiring faster and faster to a sort of whooshing sound and you should get lots of hot air from all vents.

Btw .. another common issue with these - easily sortable is that the duct pipes detatch from the boiler. make sure they are all attached.

Thanks again for the abvice, I'm still not 100% it's working as normal, it blows hot air but not at any great force. The lights still go out on the thermostat as if it's reached temperature. Maybe I'm just excepting to much. Well give it a go over the weekend then maybe book it in to have a thorough check.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sounds a bit like a loose connection, then, possibly around the pump (a source of vibration) if that's been replaced. I'd be happier if there was an explanation for why the pump was replaced. I assume that the ignitors are now OK?
I think your mains elements may be around the outside of the water chamber and need water in the boiler to work. They won't be much good for space heating.
The force of the blown air is probably in proportion to the heat available. A low speed reduces battery drain and cold draughts.
Heating in this weather will require the use of gas. Gas is 6 Kw but electric is only a weak supplement. Even an Argos heater will only give you 2 or 3 Kw.
Good luck. I hope you stay warm.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Sounds a bit like a loose connection, then, possibly around the pump (a source of vibration) if that's been replaced. I'd be happier if there was an explanation for why the pump was replaced. I assume that the ignitors are now OK?
I think your mains elements may be around the outside of the water chamber and need water in the boiler to work. They won't be much good for space heating.
The force of the blown air is probably in proportion to the heat available. A low speed reduces battery drain and cold draughts.
Heating in this weather will require the use of gas. Gas is 6 Kw but electric is only a weak supplement. Even an Argos heater will only give you 2 or 3 Kw.
Good luck. I hope you stay warm.

Thank you, the pump was leaking from the casing, i didn't notice this when i collected the van. I've had a tough week trying to get them to send some out to me to sort things out. Only had the van two weeks and at first was offerd no solution to repair the issues. Im Leaving it over night with the electric heating on just to keep things a little warm. Ill pop down later and check to see how it's going. well prepared for the weekend just dug out every blanket and duvet we can find.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
<snip>
I think your mains elements may be around the outside of the water chamber and need water in the boiler to work. <snip>
The Combi 6e has two settings for space heating, one of which enables space heating without water in the system.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have said electric only will not be enough to warm the van up in cold weather, you really need the gas as well. Once it is warm the electric only will probably keep it up to temperature, but is getting it warm that is the problem.

OP
OP
Shakester

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just got back from our weekend away, heating worked for about an hour then shut of totally. So spent the night wrapped in blankets with no sleep -3 in the van.

During the day today I'd had enough of freezing and went through the boiler and pump cupboard checking everything, I had all lights on the boiler it's self so turned it off and waited for it to fail to see if any fault codes were flashing. Good news I had a fault code, however I caught sight of a lead running under the surge pump ( I think that's what it's called) big blue cylinder on the water line. I managed to chase the lead to a small box, it was coated in crap from were the pump had been leaking a quick clean off and disconnecting the lead from both ends of the box the fault cleared and the boiler kicked into life.

The lead had similar connections to what you find on a telephone. The heating has been working all day since, I actually had to turn it down

I hope this helps someone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back