circuitry - where to add the mains charger (1 Viewer)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Conversion of our trafic is plodding along. I'm at the point of solidifying the electrics - they've been gaffered onto a piece of cardboard since we bought it a month ago

The electrics will be relatively basic, need to run: two sets of LED lights, fridge, water pump, 12v sockets, usb sockets, and critically an oxygen concentrator rated at 12amp continuously (currently monitoring its actual current, i think it's more like 8 amp) and nebuliser intermittently.

We've 2 * 100W solar panels, 2 * 120 ah deep cycle batteries, an EHU socket and 18 amp intelligent charger

so far so good

batteries will be connected in parralel with the pos of one and neg of the other feeding into the circuit (distributing the charge & wear and tear across both batteries)

solar panels are connected in parallel and feed into a 30 amp controller then to the batteries, load comes from this controller.

Given all that; Am I correct thinking that the battery charger should be connected directly to the batteries and not further integrated into the circuit?

I'm intentionally not adding a split charger so that the van electrics and additional electrics are seperate. There'll then be the ability to a) run the concentrator from teh van battery if the leisure batteries are flat and b)drive somewhere with a plug socket/oxygen. We do also have 2* 20ah emergency lithium batteries/jump starters. Not expecting to be able to be away from a plug socket for more than a day if I'm in the van.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Charger should be connected to the battery bank with the shortest wire possible.

The only caveat is that unless the charger is fully sealed it should not be in the same box as the batteries. If the batteries gas you don't want a spark from live electronics igniting it.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If the chager has the facility to select battery capacity and or battery type don't forget to set that..
I did the same on my conversion .. ie tried to keep the vehicle wiring totally separate from the leisure and other than the heater blower in the cab achieved that..
I gid however link leisure and vehicle batteries with a 120 amp dual sensing relay which ensures charge to either bank if one set is been charged and voltage is high enough ( poor man's battery to battery lol )
Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jnn

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Great, thanks chaps. Yep next to but not in the battery boxes was the physical location plan, and batteries well ventilated to the other side.

Looks as thoguh the lithium emergency batteries will happily charge directly from the solar charger too which helps (double usb)

now to create a 'your batteries are going to be flat in an hour' alarm that'll wake me and or the helpful hounds (deaf as a door post)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back