Disabled access in the high street film for Channel 4 (1 Viewer)

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
Hi everyone, we are taking part in a film with Channel 4 for No Go Britain. They are looking for people who have complained to companies about access for disabled people. Here are the details, if you think you can help them please email louise.turner"at"itn.co.uk directly.

Thank you.

"We are planning another film for the No Go Britain series for early December and will once again be looking at the Changing Places issue, as we did back in August. As part of this piece, we are trying to collate information about the big businesses that campaigners have contacted in the last year to request they install changing places toilets and tot up how many times they have had a negative response. We would be grateful if as many of you as possible could contact us, by email, with a list of the companies (nationwide chains and big brands)you have asked in the last 12 months from whom you have received a clear no. If any of these big businesses have said yes, we would love to know where and when toilets may be installed. My email address is louise.turner"at"itn.co.uk and I would be grateful for this information by Friday 18th November. Many thanks for your time and help."

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I wish they could do something about the pavement parking too. This area is a nightmare for double parking, cars half on pavements. Parents with pushchairs and anyone in a wheelchair takes their life in their hands trying to negotiate Paignton. Stopped today for a mum having to push her child in a buggy in the road as pavements both sides blocked by thoughtless car owners.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Like probably not the correct response @Hollyberry - more "I agree"

I've even phoned the telephone number on vans when they are blocking pavements / access or parked in disabled bays.

Our traffic warden (now retired) used to delight in ticketing anything blocking dropped kerbs and so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting. Our local Asda store has its aisles blocked more and more by employees leaving home shopping trolleys in them. It is often difficult for Jill's Dad, who can't walk very far and is partially sited. Perhaps I should raise the disabled access problems caused with them in future.

OP
OP
mercianman

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
Interesting. Our local Asda store has its aisles blocked more and more by employees leaving home shopping trolleys in them. It is often difficult for Jill's Dad, who can't walk very far and is partially sited. Perhaps I should raise the disabled access problems caused with them in future.

We are experts now and have a few battles underway. I can send you a template letter which quotes the appropriate parts of the equalities act if you like. Nothing will change unless people take action.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are experts now and have a few battles underway. I can send you a template letter which quotes the appropriate parts of the equalities act if you like. Nothing will change unless people take action.
Thanks, I'll see how it goes. In my past life (just over 12 years ago) I took on the job of producing an equalities manual for my LA employer covering all the legislation at that time and highlighting differences, a situation I believe has been simplified by the 2010 Act.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I wish they could do something about the pavement parking too. This area is a nightmare for double parking, cars half on pavements. Parents with pushchairs and anyone in a wheelchair takes their life in their hands trying to negotiate Paignton. Stopped today for a mum having to push her child in a buggy in the road as pavements both sides blocked by thoughtless car owners.

This

I rarely go out in our big village but trying to negotiate the pavements and cross roads in a chair is takign your life in your hands. To make it worse there's a running battle, lead by one of the local councillors, to make all on street parking (inc with a blue badge) in one location outlawed - because there's a new carpark. Completely missing the point that said carpark is half a mile away from anywhere folk want to go... rendering it of no use to those with legitimate need to park on the roadside.

OP
OP
mercianman

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
This

I rarely go out in our big village but trying to negotiate the pavements and cross roads in a chair is takign your life in your hands. To make it worse there's a running battle, lead by one of the local councillors, to make all on street parking (inc with a blue badge) in one location outlawed - because there's a new carpark. Completely missing the point that said carpark is half a mile away from anywhere folk want to go... rendering it of no use to those with legitimate need to park on the roadside.
Here is a link to the templates from the Equalities service. They have lots of advice on there. Don't be fobbed off. http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/answers/list/kw/templates/search/1

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wouldn't you know it. There I was with my camera ready and Asda didn't have as many as normal warehouse trolleys littering the aisles today :)

OP
OP
mercianman

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
@jnn "to make all on street parking (inc with a blue badge) in one location outlawed" - that even possible? With our blue badge we can park merrily pretty much where ever we want to.

"
  • badge holders may park free of charge and without time limit at on-street parking meters and on street 'pay and display' equipment unless a local traffic order specifying a time limit for badge holders is in force. (Check local signs for information)
  • badge holders may be exempt from limits on parking times imposed on other users. (Check local signs for information)
  • badge holders may usually park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours except where there is a ban on loading or unloading and at a few locations where local schemes apply
"

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Yep, they want no stopping stripes (perpendicular curb stripes) adding to what little parkable area there is. I've stayed out of it so far but having noted that one of the main protagonists is a local councillor I think I have to get involved

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back