Can I leave my gas heater on overnight? (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Excuse the newbie question from a newbie, but can I (safely!) leave my gas heater on overnight?

My heater is a (1999) Carver 4000, it's not blown air or dual fuel or anything fancy like that, it's just a plain heater with no controls other than a manual pump-action mechanical ignition button and a single dial to set the flame / heat level :love:

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yup, alarm(s) tested and confirmed ok, just put a new batteries in both alarms last week (y)

Should I also leave a window open? Or will there be enough natural ventilation in there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We normally leave the skylight open a crack and the little overhead cab window too. Helps with condensation and peace of mind of co though we do have a detector.

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have always left heating on all night, with co alarm, but mindful that nothing will fall on it. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a combi water/space heater rather than a fire but regularly leave water on or space heater on low in colder weather. Leaving the water heater on prevents the dump valve opening - and means I don't have to wait for a shower in the morning :)
We have a combined smoke/CO alarm fitted.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My heater is a (1999) Carver 4000, it's not blown air or dual fuel or anything fancy like that, it's just a plain heater with no controls other than a manual pump-action mechanical ignition button and a single dial to set the flame / heat level

In my opinion you have the very best motorhome heater type ever produced.

Simplicity itself. You only need gas.

I have one in my self build and a similar one in my 1987 Hymer 660S.

I have, in the past, left them on over night without any problems.

I am rather too rufty tufty to need to do so these days. (Most of the winter I am in Portugal so not really needed.)

JJ :cool:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Agree. A very practical heater and flued externally so nothing to worry about. Leave it on low overnight to keep the chill off and permit a faster warm-up in the morning. Do not rue the lack of blown air, those fans can flatten batteries.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I shall be putting it to the test this very weekend (y)

Well, that didn't quite go according to plan!

Last night, I lit the Carver 4000 heater, put it on the lowest heat setting and got in to bed. I thought I'd see what the temperature was like when I got up this morning.

Well, this morning it was quite chilly when I woke up. No probs I thought, I'll try it another night on the half-way heat setting instead.

However... when I then went to turn the heater up, it was actually off.

I ran out of gas overnight :whistle::X3::rolleyes:

So no toast for me this morning (booooo).

Bought a refill this morning but won't have the chance to try it until next weekend now :LOL:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Would you believe it
there I was parked on a wilding spot
and this bloody meteorite landed on the passenger seat

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We normally leave the skylight open a crack and the little overhead cab window too. Helps with condensation and peace of mind of co though we do have a detector.

That's fine for condensation but it wouldn't help at all if there somehow was CO in your van.

CO is heavier than air so it will sink to the floor not rise and escape.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That's fine for condensation but it wouldn't help at all if there somehow was CO in your van.

CO is heavier than air so it will sink to the floor not rise and escape.[/QUOTE

I beg to differ Nick FWIW
Your quite correct, Co is heavier than air but detectors work on a parts per million system not density,
in a still air scenario the alarm would sound only when the height of the CO reached the alarm
An open roof vent causing air fluctuations is better as the warm air rises cools then drops causing air movement bringing any CO leak to the detector sooner
best position for Co alarm is nose height when sleeping, for smoke alarm cieling height LPG alarm floor level
G

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
CO is a red herring. Moisture is heavier than air, but is carried around by it. Ventilation will let it out, whether though a top, side, or floor vent. (Same for any CO that might be around).
There should not be any CO, especially with external fluid heaters. If you bother with an alarm, place is as close to the air you'll be breathing when asleep.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Would you believe it
there I was parked on a wilding spot
and this bloody meteorite landed on the passenger seat
I have a meteorite just the same as yours. (y) I call her 'wife'. I know, not a very Star-Trek name, but she understands, and reacts to it. Now, if I said "Hey, Moonstone, go brew up", she would just sit there, and her single chromosome would not engage with her layshaft. (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't knock wives.
Mine could smell a gas leak
in the neighbouring van
about ten minutes before it started!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Being one of the unclean who uses CC sites we take an oil filled radiator with us in winter and use the electric we're paying for rather than use the gas. We only get through a couple of 11kg bottles at the most all year. I often wonder how many those that wild camp get through?:whistle:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Don't knock wives.
Mine could smell a gas leak
in the neighbouring van
about ten minutes before it started!
Not knocking them! Funny, mine smells of leaking gas as well!! (y)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I have a meteorite just the same as yours. (y) I call her 'wife'. I know, not a very Star-Trek name, but she understands, and reacts to it. Now, if I said "Hey, Moonstone, go brew up", she would just sit there, and her single chromosome would not engage with her layshaft. (y)
shit he's brave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back