Advice on back-up please (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I am getting vibes from my PC that the hard disk is failing. Surprise surprise I have no back-up. I have read so much in the past couple of days that my head is in a spin and also searched on the subject. How would you approach this? I am not concerned about backing up documents but I have several downloads of embroidery patterns and some classes from Craftsy.com which I suppose are classed as videos. I don't want to lose those.

Is it feasible to save individual items to memory sticks or will I need a complete system back-up?

If there is a virus would that also get backed up and thus I would be no better off.

Jim mentions GoodSync - would that synchronise Windows 10 : Chromebook : ipad and an HTC android smart phone?

Questions, questions questions - please give me the benefit of your experience (from someone yet to master their smartphone :eek:)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Get an external hard drive, back the whole thing up to that.
When / if you replace the HD in the PC you can simply restore from the backup HD.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As with all things PCs there are numerous ways to do this. You might want to use the 'cloud' to store your videos and Photos initially - that should work for Android and Window devices if you use Google or dropbox or Windows cloud. Apple devices - cloud I guess but I know nothing about Mac O/S.

Windows will have in built backing up capabilities the only thing you need is a either a USB hard drive or a large USB Pen drive depending on how much data you have.

I use Puresynch personal (free) connected to a eSATA drive (faster than USB 2 but don't let that cloud the issue) and have it set up to create an initial sych of the data a I want to keep and then it will add any new specific files in the directories I want to be synchronised. It has a lot of options.

Link Removed

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@johnp10 Thank you John. Is it necessary to spend £63 on a hard drive - the one Jim highlighted from Amazon. Again, how do you choose. I am of the view buy cheap/buy twice.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@clanjones as the PC's hard disk is so dodgy would it be wise to create the back-up first and add other programmes like Puresynch later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@johnp10 Thank you John. Is it necessary to spend £63 on a hard drive - the one Jim highlighted from Amazon. Again, how do you choose. I am of the view buy cheap/buy twice.
Currys have about a dozen 1TB drives from recognised companies (e.g. Seagate, Maxtor, Toshiba) for between £40 and £55. You may find the same items cheaper on-line but shops are convenient if you want one in a hurry.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Thank you @GJH I wish I knew more about this up-to-date technology but I am glad there are Funsters - like yourself - willing to help out.:think::clap::smiley:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If there is a virus would that also get backed up and thus I would be no better off.
Unfortunately, yes this can happen. A permanently connected and switched on additional hard drive, though convenient, can be vulnerable to the latest craze for "ransom ware" which will make your files unreadable.
If your precious files are relatively few and small then a cheap USB memory stick will keep a copy but you could also copy them to a CD or DVD either instead or as an extra backup.
I have a separate hard drive connected to a USB socket on the PC but I only turn it on to copy across specific files I don't want to lose, then I turn it off so it should be safe if something nasty gets into the computer. It isn't a failsafe strategy but everything helps.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you are generally happy with the computer buy a replacement hard drive and have somebody clone the old disc onto the new one. then install the new drive to replace the failing one. that way the computer will be set up exactly as you remember

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Here's your answer:

As usual - dont overthink or complicate this.
Depending on the size of the data or video files, buy a cheap USB hard drive of an appropriate size ( maybe £25-£30) and simply copy & paste

Here's your source:

Currys have about a dozen 1TB drives from recognised companies (e.g. Seagate, Maxtor, Toshiba) for between £40 and £55. You may find the same items cheaper on-line but shops are convenient if you want one in a hurry.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you are generally happy with the computer buy a replacement hard drive and have somebody clone the old disc onto the new one. then install the new drive to replace the failing one. that way the computer will be set up exactly as you remember

Just as easy, if not easier.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If the disk is that dodgy then yes best to get the files off ASAP using cut and paste or if you are running windows 10 then you could the built in facilities as per the enclosed articles.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-back-up-windows-10-3635397/

Have you run any disk checking tools such as 'diskcheckup' which comes with windows 10 to confirm the issue with the disk or is it that obvious?

First though, as numerous other folk have said, you will need an external USB storage device to copy the files too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back