LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Anybody been to Lofoten region in Norway, some Norse friends have said how good it is, is it practical in a Motorhome in summer.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Depends how long you've got to get there. No ferries to Scandinavia now, closest is Amsterdam/Rotterdam so be a bit of a haul and your choice between a longish ferry crossing from Denmark or a longer drive round. We were in Scandi earlier in the year (June/July) for 6 weeks and we would have had plenty of time - I say would have because due to technical difficulties we came home early and missed Lofoten. Three weeks ought to be enough to see the area properly but be prepared for longer driving days getting there and back.

The Lofoten Islands appeared to be a very popular place to motorhome - we saw literally dozens before we had to turn back - and all the reports agree it is fantastic. We've promised ourselves another go in the near future.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just been taking a look Martin and it's a 10,000km round trip in the MH

How about flying to Tromso and hiring a vehicle there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I spent a few summers on the Lofoten Islands, mainly on Senja fishing. It is a long haul up there, but well worth it. Take as much with you as you can carry as everything is expensive. I used to stay in Flakstadvag on the fish camp. http://www.flakstadvag.no/eng_index.html

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Depends how long you've got to get there. No ferries to Scandinavia now, closest is Amsterdam/Rotterdam so be a bit of a haul and your choice between a longish ferry crossing from Denmark or a longer drive round. We were in Scandi earlier in the year (June/July) for 6 weeks and we would have had plenty of time - I say would have because due to technical difficulties we came home early and missed Lofoten. Three weeks ought to be enough to see the area properly but be prepared for longer driving days getting there and back.

The Lofoten Islands appeared to be a very popular place to motorhome - we saw literally dozens before we had to turn back - and all the reports agree it is fantastic. We've promised ourselves another go in the near future.
Thanks for info....time is no problem...distance is no problem either, we will leave home (Spain) the first week in June, we have 3 weeks to get to the Tatra mountains (Poland) we leave Poland first week in July, next commitment Sweden, Warmland area,24th July 1 week..............then we are free to drive as far north as we dare through Sweden, turn left and enter Norway, should be about first week in August...could be second. Then a slow drive south through Norway, this is when we expect to visit Lofoten...and many other places of interest, due back home..before the first Spanish frosts. 10,000 km Robert...think a little more.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just been taking a look Martin and it's a 10,000km round trip in the MH

Don't know what route you're looking at but we did a total of 6000 miles which included the trip from home to Folkestone (tunnel), up through Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway to Nordkap then back down through Norway. Just one ferry, from Denmark to Sweden, otherwise roads (bridges and tunnels) all the time.

Edit - just seen your reply @jumar yup a little more I'd think!

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think that during this cold dark Spanish winter we have ahead of us, we would have made a plan that would have been assisted my Funsters, Internet and friends from Norway who live near us...........we are fortunate to know many Norwegians, but most of them have never ventured as far north as Lofoten....too far they reply. We need help from fellow motorhomers, like you guys, who have been and done it, some of you more than once, so it cannot be that far, can it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is certainly a place I would love to go to. A bit like parts of Patagonia from this photo I stole off the web. But a lot closer. :)
World___Norway_Lofoten_Islands_in_Norway_060147_.jpg

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It is certainly a place I would love to go to. A bit like parts of Patagonia from this photo I stole off the web. But a lot closer. :)View attachment 130066
Stunning photo John, need no further reasons to go, we have travelled to some of the most fantastic global locations you can imagine...an extended trip to Norway is a must for us having sampled it briefly last year without our motorhome.

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@jumar it is one of the most beautiful places we've been to. Just amazing...dont think just go! The midnight sun is just something else and the colours at that time of year are so intense. We toured all over the Lofotens and will definitely go back. We were there June/July and saw a few motorhomes but not loads. We did quite a few blog posts if you are interest and logged loads of wild camping spots too. If you need any more convincing let me know and I will send you some more photo's :)

http://ourbumble.com/sailing-in-to-the-midnight-sun/
IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@jumar it is one of the most beautiful places we've been to. Just amazing...dont think just go! The midnight sun is just something else and the colours at that time of year are so intense. We toured all over the Lofotens and will definitely go back. We were there June/July and saw a few motorhomes but not loads. We did quite a few blog posts if you are interest and logged loads of wild camping spots too. If you need any more convincing let me know and I will send you some more photo's :)

http://ourbumble.com/sailing-in-to-the-midnight-sun/
View attachment 130247

View attachment 130248
Thanks for your post @Our Bumble and your offer of more photos, I am thinking of putting a close to this thread as I fear the possibility of overcrowding on Lofoten next year.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Another thread added to my Scandi bookmarks. We have a standing invitation to stay with a relation on Smola near Kristiansund
"bags of room for the motorhome" so may be an excuse to venture further north, much further north.

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Our Bumble fantastic photos. I've already read your blog for this part of Norway. Definitely want to go there. @Jenben what do you think?
On
@Our Bumble fantastic photos. I've already read your blog for this part of Norway. Definitely want to go there. @Jenben what do you think?
only just released @jumar is your other half Judith. Never linked the two together until now.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
It looks fantastic, we were talking about this trip the other night , looking forward to the PowerPoint presentation when we meet up :)

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thanks for info....time is no problem...distance is no problem either, we will leave home (Spain) the first week in June, we have 3 weeks to get to the Tatra mountains (Poland) we leave Poland first week in July, next commitment Sweden, Warmland area,24th July 1 week..............then we are free to drive as far north as we dare through Sweden, turn left and enter Norway, should be about first week in August...could be second. Then a slow drive south through Norway, this is when we expect to visit Lofoten...and many other places of interest, due back home..before the first Spanish frosts. 10,000 km Robert...think a little more.
And if your in our neck of the woods give us a pm and drop in,we live in jamtland region,regards AlfandM

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Going this year, last went in 2006, endorse everything people are saying. Oh and went there in November Last on Hurtigruten but of course it w2as dark apart from Northern Lights.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
And if your in our neck of the woods give us a pm and drop in,we live in jamtland region,regards AlfandM

@alfandM We are travelling through Scandinavia for 6 weeks in May/June this year...Where are the 'mustn't miss' areas of Sweden?..Scenery rather than towns/cities...The Fjords/islands of Norway are a large pull but similarly we would hate to pass through Sweden and miss the best bits...

Thanks

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Another thread added to my Scandi bookmarks. We have a standing invitation to stay with a relation on Smola near Kristiansund
"bags of room for the motorhome" so may be an excuse to venture further north, much further north.

An update, said relation who is 88 has invited himself together with his daughter to visit us at the end of April. Fly from Kristiansund to Oslo and then Heathrow and home from Stansted. These casual remarks "oh you are more than welcome to visit us in England" have a habit of biting you in the bum. But then even more reason for us to head for Smola.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for posting this. Wonderful. Just hope there's less of the cold, white stuff when we're there.
When are you planning to visit?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We should be in Norway from the beginning of August, spending as long as we want/can before heading back to Spain for the winter.
I was just checking online and the Northern Lights can be seen from the last week in August.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We can stay into September if we want. I'd really love to see them.

we may cross over as you leave, heading up at the end of August, only got 28 days though, so some serious driving for us o_O

really looking forward to our trip, not done much research yet, but just been reading about the Lofoten Islands, trip advisor rate it the number one area to see in Norway, can see why from the photos, think we will sacrifice the hike up to Nordkap in preference this trip

Northern Lights are way up our hope to see as well, that is why we are gong a little later :)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back