How to replace habitation door seal (1 Viewer)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We've bought a new seal because the existing one is coming away from the door frame in places and has gone all baggy and saggy. I realise that the new one will need trimming to the correct length, but my question is should any kind of mastic/glue be used to stick it on with or should it be tight enough to stay in place without adhesive?

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We don't have a picture, the van is in storage so can't get to it easily at the mo. Its the "inner" habitation door, i.e. not the door that swings open, the inner door frame that has a rubber seal all around it. We've bought the new seal from Seals Direct having cut off a small section of the existing seal to make sure it was the right one. There's a lot of gungy sticky stuff on the door frame under the existing seal where the previous owner(s) have obviously tried to stick the seal on. Not much help I'm afraid. Maybe I'll re-post when we have the van and can take picture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are a few different door seal types.
Some have a 'claw' effect in them which grips on to the edge and require no glue.
Others are held in place more by the will of a motorhome deity than anything else and really should be glued in place.. For such jobs a semi flexible impact adhesive such as the good old original Evostick would proly be best

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The door seal should grip itself in place --top tip is stretch it to get it in but squash it up once in place --don't leave it stretched always push it back on itself --hope it makes sense ;)
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
and warm the new seal up before you start fitting it. makes it easier to work with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back