Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just had a relevant experience....

I have disabled the central locking on the sliding door on my van as it engages randomly and locked me out many years ago. I did this by putting many layers of insulating tape over the connector at the bottom of the door. I always carry my keys with me to prevent me getting locked out as well.

This all went wrong on Saturday. I was in and out of the van like a yoyo and left my keys on the table by mistake. The tape wore through and the door locked itself with my keys inside....

It took me a few minutes to find a suitable bit of wire and then it only took me literally 20 seconds to open the side window... I have never tried to break in via this window before as it is so high it is not practical for thieves to use as an entry or egress. However the speed at which I could break in even with my lack of experience of breaking in to things shocked me. I did need to find something to climb on to get high enough to reach the table to get my keys.

These type catches are not secure at all. I am going to make my own version of the above device using a bit of aluminium angle... I know that these type windows can be broken by force but my feeling is thieves would rather do it quietly and without too much visible damage if possible. A bit of ally angle to prevent the easy method seems like a sensible way to do it. For those who want it to look good and are not up for diy then the lock m out seems like a sensible precaution to me.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I went to the stand at the show a few weeks ago, but they do not do a lock for my type of handles.(n) I have curved handles with push buttons on them. The Lady on the stand did give me one that might fit to try, but unfortunately it didn't - and yes, I did return it to her.:rolleyes: Apparently the push buttons are more difficult to open because even if you break the handle by levering it up, the button is still engaged and the window cannot be pulled open. Having 5 on each living room window and 3 on the others, I would hope someone would think twice and move on. That said however, no button or curved handle would stop the window being smashed though. That entry method I would leave to the growler!!;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I modified all my locks on the windows myself ,, as wanted something a "bit" more secure than it came out of the factory , but also i would of need 8 lock em outs , so i went the diy route and was really pleased with it and was cheap :)
Really when i started to watch some videos on how easy it was to open these windows i went ,,no way , but having said that i tried on mine and could not get the rod in between the MH and the window , but i feel i was frightened of marking the MH , which a thief surely would not care about doing so.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
but having said that i tried on mine and could not get the rod in between the MH and the window , but i feel i was frightened of marking the MH , which a thief surely would not care about doing so

It was a bit tricky getting the wire past the rubber, however I didn't have a choice so I just kept pushing. Once it was through though the rest of the job literally took me 2 seconds per catch. Very scary how easy it was.

I probably did put a few scratches on the side of my van, but as a full time panel van dweller of the @JJ school of living I don't really care about a few scratches.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It was a bit tricky getting the wire past the rubber, however I didn't have a choice so I just kept pushing. Once it was through though the rest of the job literally took me 2 seconds per catch. Very scary how easy it was.

I probably did put a few scratches on the side of my van, but as a full time panel van dweller of the @JJ school of living I don't really care about a few scratches.
Each one of my locks is now secured with a locking pin same as below , which must be removed before the catch is able to be pushed up.

pojistka3.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My guess is that my bent wire could pull the pin out as well ???? :(

Mine too - that is why I use a masonry nail, it's got a head big enough to grip but not enough for anything else to get a hold. No pull ring on it either - okay I've dropped the nail once or twice but spares are cheap......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back