Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
We are out on our first trip in our Bessacarr 799. 2012. Picked it up last week. The fridge was 'wiffy' when we looked at it but assumed a good clean and power up would sort it. How wrong we were. The smell seems to be coming from the freezer compartment. Door off, seals off and cleaned but it is still awful. When we open the fridge door the smell fills the whole van. Can't store any food in it as it stinks! Have bought a bottle of bleach and thought about soaking the little joints/gaps. What on earth can it be?!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The door was probably left shut for an extended period of time, possible even with food left inside it. Yuck.

Good idea to clean out every nook and space - also the old ideas of a half onion and / or half a lemon left on a shelf for a day and a saturated solution of bicarbonate of soda in a bowl also left on a shelf might help.

The plastic of the fridges and freezers seems to absorb bad smells.

You might want to notify the supplying dealer of the problem now :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Friends of mine had a similar problem. They accidentally allowed some meat to defrost in the freezer compartment and some blood ran out. There was no smell at the time so they cleaned the fridge thoroughly & thought no more of it. After a couple of days the smell set in. Absolutely intolerable and filled the van. After a long & determined hunt they found out that the blood had run down the little defrost drain pipe which terminates in a little polythene box low down at the back of the fridge. This box is clipped to one of the pipes on the back of the fridge that gets hot in use. The heat evaporates any condensate - or helps animal matter to decompose and stink. What they found looked like the beginnings of a new life form. It might be worth checking yours - you can get at it through the bottom external vent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Friends of mine had a similar problem. They accidentally allowed some meat to defrost in the freezer compartment and some blood ran out. There was no smell at the time so they cleaned the fridge thoroughly & thought no more of it. After a couple of days the smell set in. Absolutely intolerable and filled the van. After a long & determined hunt they found out that the blood had run down the little defrost drain pipe which terminates in a little polythene box low down at the back of the fridge. This box is clipped to one of the pipes on the back of the fridge that gets hot in use. The heat evaporates any condensate - or helps animal matter to decompose and stink. What they found looked like the beginnings of a new life form. It might be worth checking yours - you can get at it through the bottom external vent.
Thanks. We have checked the vent etc and all looks ok. I have cleaned the drip hole in fridge too. I am having second thoughts about the temp of the fridge. Not got a thermometer to check but will buy one tomorrow. If it is the gas leaking how many days will it take to pack up?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The usual culprit for fridgey pongs in our MH is the door compartments/shelves. It's a Dometic fridge and these components are removable. All sorts of gunk and spillages gets caught between them and the door, especially when stuff like milk topples over going round roundabouts. Might be worth investigating.

Clip on analogue door thermometers are good for checking temperature - I find the digital LCD gadgets a bit erratic. I've got both.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It could be that the small hole at the back of the fridge is blocked. There should be a v shape at on the inside back wall with a small hole. Thst needs to be clear. Take of lower vent outside and there is probably a small pipe into a tray. Check bung is out of pipe. Clean tray. Put water down hole and make sure it comes out of pipe. Possibly and hopefully there is a small blockage that is cleared. Can happen with home fridges too. Usually water iced but leads to really obnoxious smells if not cleared.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks. We have checked the vent etc and all looks ok. I have cleaned the drip hole in fridge too. I am having second thoughts about the temp of the fridge. Not got a thermometer to check but will buy one tomorrow. If it is the gas leaking how many days will it take to pack up?
Nothing to do with the vent - it's the little plastic tray attached to the back of the fridge that's visible with the vent removed.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Nothing to do with the vent - it's the little plastic tray attached to the back of the fridge that's visible with the vent removed.
Ok, thanks, will check again. Fridge has been cleaned thoroughly with household anti bac and again with bicarbonate of soda. All shelves washed, grooves washed and I use cotton buds in all crevasses. Fridge feels very warm on top but there is a heating vent on the side by step well...,

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ok, thanks, will check again. Fridge has been cleaned thoroughly with household anti bac and again with bicarbonate of soda. All shelves washed, grooves washed and I use cotton buds in all crevasses. Fridge feels very warm on top but there is a heating vent on the side by step well...,
Have you made sure that little hole is clear?

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Yes. I haven't pushed water through but I cleaned it with cotton bud and I wasn't dirty.

Edit:just pushed water through and it's clean as a whistle. Tray, pipe etc all clean.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Is it possible that Something was left in the freezer compartment for a long time and the smell has penetrated the actual plastic?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We had the same problem when we were touring the USA. Board went and it was soringly hot, chicken thawed and by God did it leave an awful smell. Washed it out thoroughly, and left some bi-carb. soda in a container in the freezer, it went eventually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back