Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
Chorley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2003
been using the blue stuff for years, never heard of using bio,will give it a go and see how she who must be obeyed reacts :LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I find that Aqua Kem blue at Narbonne Accessories is very reasonable. They are expensive on other things though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think folk who have had the bad luck to suffer someones SOG have fallen foul ( !! ) of pee poor maintenance..
Our SOG outlet comes out IN our safari room.. Never had a problem..

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
been using the blue stuff for years, never heard of using bio,will give it a go and see how she who must be obeyed reacts :LOL::LOL:

Our loo has been smelling foul for weeks and always has that chemical smell.
I decided last week to dismantle the cassette and service it.
Quite simple really as long as you're not squeamish and have some rubber gloves and a toothbrush (the wife's?) I lubricated all the rubber bits with silicon grease and it works a treat and now seals much better.
As it was now so clean and free of chemical I thought I would try the Aldi bio tablets as recommended on here.
Its wonderful and there is now no smell - NONE - except a slight smelly socks odour. Even emptying it is odour free although there is no disguising what is in there as there is no blue dye to disguise it.
I would say its complete success and I won't be going back to the smelly chemicals.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our loo has been smelling foul for weeks and always has that chemical smell.
I decided last week to dismantle the cassette and service it.
Quite simple really as long as you're not squeamish and have some rubber gloves and a toothbrush (the wife's?) I lubricated all the rubber bits with silicon grease and it works a treat and now seals much better.
As it was now so clean and free of chemical I thought I would try the Aldi bio tablets as recommended on here.
Its wonderful and there is now no smell - NONE - except a slight smelly socks odour. Even emptying it is odour free although there is no disguising what is in there as there is no blue dye to disguise it.
I would say its complete success and I won't be going back to the smelly chemicals.

Absolutely. It is important to get rid of the residual blue stuff before the bio will work. I would never go back to the blue.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Absolutely. It is important to get rid of the residual blue stuff before the bio will work. I would never go back to the blue.
And don't bother swilling it out as you will be weakening the internal bio effect. If there is any loo paper wrapped round the float you can always pick it out with your fingers through the slider........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have a sog but normally only pee in the pot, heavy beer consumption requires frequent night emptying of the aging bladder. Poo is only allowed in dire emergencies. I have sniffed my sog exhaust and can confirm that I have inadvertently sniffed others anal gas discharges much more disagreeable. Should I therefore follow them around with an extra wide roll of gorilla tape to close the offending orifice??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a sog but normally only pee in the pot, heavy beer consumption requires frequent night emptying of the aging bladder. Poo is only allowed in dire emergencies. I have sniffed my sog exhaust and can confirm that I have inadvertently sniffed others anal gas discharges much more disagreeable. Should I therefore follow them around with an extra wide roll of gorilla tape to close the offending orifice??
A bit drastic I would have thought unless they've waxed it first.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And don't bother swilling it out as you will be weakening the internal bio effect. If there is any loo paper wrapped round the float you can always pick it out with your fingers through the slider........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I have never rinsed out the cassette. What's the point when you know what will shortly be in there? If there's anything stuck it'll come out at the next empty. And I too use Bio washing (capsules in my case).

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just a thought?
Anyone tried Platium fairy liquid? Just a Little squirt?
I use it for most things around the house it’s brilliant at shifting dirt / grease

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Latest must have.
23843215_925989777556877_809921439474702245_n.jpg

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well, at £9.80 per year to replace the filter I might consider it, but what we have done is that I have put a switch on the casing against the wall and if I think that there may be others around I turn off the fan. We do also use a bio blue
Mike and Ann

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just a thought?
Anyone tried Platium fairy liquid? Just a Little squirt?
I use it for most things around the house it’s brilliant at shifting dirt / grease

The detergents etc. are not for cleaning but for providing enzymes to break down faeces. Biological washing detergents are used by many peeps to help minimise smells coming from their waste tank.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
You can lead a horse to water
but..............
I rest my case

Attachments

• 000743_A.png
    000743_A.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 79

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Or a capfull of bio liquid - we've found that more creates a chemical whiff.

Nov 9, 2017
Funster No
We have been using Aldi Almat bio gel pods for years now, inexpensive, very effective,breaks everything down nicely, keeps the cassette clean, easy to use, 2 daily in very hot weather, 1 in normal climes, not an unpleasant task emptying or replenishing,even for SWMBOB.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
This must be the best thread ever, £60.000 for a motorhome and people are quibbling at paying £9.99 for a 4ltr bottle of toilet blue.

I love it, I thought fellow motor homers all had brand new shoes on obviously it wasn`t that making the squeaking noise....:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's not the cost with us. We prefer the bio tabs for 2 reasons. Firstly because they do a better job at breaking down the contents and sanitising the cassette. And secondly because they are more environmentally friendly, especially if the site has its own sewage works. Many sites in Europe have banned the use of blue toilet fluid.

Nov 9, 2017
Funster No
Exactly PE, I was fed up with getting blue on my hands,all over the outside of cassette,clumsy I know, I blame the G & T!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That’s why we like the SOG and it does break down everything without any additives.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Sorry, feel a bit stupid, but I can't get my head around that. I thought the SOG was just a fan-driven extraction system, so how does it break down poo?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This must be the best thread ever, £60.000 for a motorhome and people are quibbling at paying £9.99 for a 4ltr bottle of toilet blue.

I couldn't afford £60 grand and its more the strong chemical smell you get with Blue and having to add more because its not working.
Bio tabs are the future:xThumb:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry, feel a bit stupid, but I can't get my head around that. I thought the SOG was just a fan-driven extraction system, so how does it break down poo?
They say in the instructions that the added air flow over the top helps break it down and to be fair to them it does seem to work(for us anyway
Taken from SOG.co.uk website :
What is a SOG ?
A Sog toilet kit dispenses with the need for smelly chemicals being stored / purchased and used in your motorhome or caravan toilet systems.

Opening the toilet valve activates a low powered extraction fan which consumes a measly 0.43 watts.

The fan creates a mild negative pressure within the cassette which draws oxygen into the cassette from the bathroom area.

This drawing in or air effectively seals off odours contained in the cassette and draws into the cassette personnel odours during use.

The sog fan only operates when the toilet is in use. Driving smells no longer exist.

All toilet cassettes are placed in “release mode” when the cassette is in position. This results in ammonia and methane odours/pressure circulating in the interior of the vehicle if sealing of the toilet chamber is not 100%, which is close to impossible. SOG systems provide a sealed pipe path, for odour/pressure to passively release, via a charcoal filter, to the outside of the motorhome.

The underlying principle of SOG ventilation systems is the passing of oxygen over the surface of the waste, whether this is accelerated when the fan is in use or passively as pressure escapes from the cassette via the SOG piping system to the outside of your vehicle. This is the natural curing “oxidisation” process used by Sewerage Treatment plants.

Naturally treated waste has far less smell when emptying the cassette and you can use normal toilet paper.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well it mixes its ideas. Aerobic digestion, where oxygen is introduced to assist the process of decay caused by natural microbes, is used in many sewerage plants. But it is done constantly. A couple of minutes with the blade open to let the fan suck in some fresh air, isn't going to do much good though.

And an aerobic plant relies upon an active bed of sludge to remain in place to introduce the necessary microbes and allow them to work. But every time we empty the cassette we throw all that away.

My view has always been that SOGs and Thetford's own ventilation system, which I have, just introduces a negative pressure that makes sure the smell does not get into the Moho. Instead it gets blown outside for your neighbour to enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back