Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
the new model of my X100s .. also enjoy taking street photos with it.. (y)

also been asked if it uses film.. :LOL:

The X100S was what I was after, however the wife went to shop and was told the X100T is better. To be honest I would have been happy with the S, but now no so sure. Enjoy yours.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very true and as phone "camera" gets more advanced they will kill the handheld camera off

And there is real benefit, people who have "a good eye" are carrying equipment that they can put to good use and give people pleasure.

I don't think they will kill off cameras because lens size is so important, a big lens can be manufactured to better tolerances and captures more light, but you are right, certain areas of the camera market are vanishing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi from a fellow Norfolk resident. I think you will find that there is no Jessops in Norwich anymore , the one in Chapelfield is certainly closed, try Norwich Camera Centre in Timberhill,,or John Lewis in Allsaints Green, that's where I bought my Canon SX50 from, and they price match.

No Jessops, but Wex are just off the Drayton Road.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Wex are great, I buy almost all my kit from them. Didn't know they had a showroom/shop though.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Y

Yes, forgot them, never had any dealings with them so cannot comment on them.

We bought a UV filter from them for our new SLR. It still works and the service was just fine!
The SLR came free from Tesco on Club card boost though!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We bought a UV filter from them for our new SLR

Everyone should have one on every lens they own. It's even worth carrying a few spares. Even if you think you don't want or need the UV filtering they protect the lens - it's far better to replace an £8 filter than a several hundred pound lens if it gets scratched for example.

I dropped one of mine on a tiled floor last weekend and immediately expected the worst. The filter shattered but the lens was fine.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Very true and as phone "camera" gets more advanced they will kill the handheld camera off, but for many it's like reading a paperback book is better than reading a kindle. "horses for courses"

I have got a Cannon digital SLR which takes great photographs but it's blinking heavy.

I take most of my photos on my iPhone these days, because it's always in my pocket.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have got a Cannon digital SLR which takes great photographs but it's blinking heavy.

Lots of pro and serious photographers end up with neck problems. I use one of Broken Link Removed so the weight is on my shoulder not my neck.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Lots of pro and serious photographers end up with neck problems. I use one of Broken Link Removed so the weight is on my shoulder not my neck.
They are good, I use a BlackRapid mostly although I've also got a cheapo Q strap, just as effective.
I spent 2 years lugging a 500mm F4 around, probably spent more than it was worth visiting physios since then! I exaggerate but it was bloody heavy.
For sport I now use a 300mm 2.8 on my 7D and it's great. For birds etc. I stick on a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, cheap as chips and still good results.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Just to update this thread. We have both been poorly so only just recently able to get out to buy our camera. We went to John Lewis because I had some vouchers and found the sales people very helpful. Eventually chose a Fuji X30 which should suit very well. Thanks to everyone for their input. :clap2:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Just to reawaken this thread the answer is quite simple.

I choose a camera based on the likelihood I will carry it with me. ("The best camera is the one you have with you")

1) It needs to be better quality than my Phone-camera or why carry it? (And my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone has a damn good camera)
2) I need to be prepared to carry it. That can mean different things on different days

That's pretty much it for me.

Mostly it's my Canon S120. It's a true "Pocket Camera" and an extremely capable one (basically it's a Canon G16 in a small body). It's much more flexible than a Phone-camera as a photography tool (It has an optical zoom lens which most phone-cameras do not.. and that is quite limiting).

At other times I will carry my Canon DSLR with some lenses. That's more of an effort, a conscious decision to go out and photograph stuff.

If you pay £200 for a Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic...etc and set them to AUTO you actually won't go far wrong for general "snaps". A 10x zoom or more is nice.
Someone who knows what they are doing, and has "an eye" would get great results from a £200 camera from one of the big manufacturers.

Trying not to be patronising I'd say that if you don't know what you really want then don't spend more than about £200
(I think around £200 is where you get the most bang for your buck without getting silly).
A 5x zoom will most likely disappoint you so get 12x-20x zoom.

If you can't get a nice photo with a £200 camera then it's really not the fault of the camera. In that respect it's really worth learning how to get the most from your Phone-camera.
I know the limitations of mine (there are several) but, on a nice day, with the sun on my back, you can't tell its images from my Canon S120's images.

Below is from my Samsung phone. I have the same scene, shot with all my cameras, and phones, over the last 15 years. I have to say that the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the point at which I wasn't bothered that I didn't have my "real" camera with me (given that 1920x1080 is about as big as most images are displayed).

Samsung Galaxy S5 - fishing hut 1920x.jpg

As of today (October 2016) I think I'd spend another £40 and get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60. It's a hell of a camera for <£250. If you can't get a decent photo with that then trust me... it's you.

I also see the Canon Powershot SX610 HS for £152. A step down from the Panasonic but more than adequate for most people and a ship at that price.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I also see the Canon Powershot SX610 HS for £152. A step down from the Panasonic but more than adequate for most people and a ship at that price.
Most definitely.

I always had a problem with cameras in that I find it difficult to use a viewfinder. Some 3 years or so ago we happened to see a Fuji T500 on offer in Asda of all places which had a screen rather than a conventional viewfinder so I decided to try that and was reasonably successful. It also slipped on my pocket so I had it with me when I needed it.
A year later I decided that I wanted a camera that would take multiple shots with the button kept pressed down so bought a Canon Ixus 155, giving the Fuji to Jill. Pretty good but another year or so and Jill like the Canon so took that over and I bought a Powershot SX610HS, which I have been very pleased with.

I still keep the 610 in my pocket but earlier this year we just happened to be in Currys, started looking at Bridge cameras and ended up buying a Canon Powershot SX530HS (just before the price dropped of course :crying:). Not knowing much about cameras I was surprised how much better quality it is. It's very lightweight so for anyone who doesn't mind carrying a camera on a neck strap (which is fine for me when I'm out and about wanting to take photos) it's very good - and only £164.99 in Currys now.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Most definitely.

I always had a problem with cameras in that I find it difficult to use a viewfinder. Some 3 years or so ago we happened to see a Fuji T500 on offer in Asda of all places which had a screen rather than a conventional viewfinder so I decided to try that and was reasonably successful. It also slipped on my pocket so I had it with me when I needed it.
A year later I decided that I wanted a camera that would take multiple shots with the button kept pressed down so bought a Canon Ixus 155, giving the Fuji to Jill. Pretty good but another year or so and Jill like the Canon so took that over and I bought a Powershot SX610HS, which I have been very pleased with.

I still keep the 610 in my pocket but earlier this year we just happened to be in Currys, started looking at Bridge cameras and ended up buying a Canon Powershot SX530HS (just before the price dropped of course :crying:). Not knowing much about cameras I was surprised how much better quality it is. It's very lightweight so for anyone who doesn't mind carrying a camera on a neck strap (which is fine for me when I'm out and about wanting to take photos) it's very good - and only £164.99 in Currys now.

The SX530 is undoubtedly a very nice camera (I was very close to buying it's big brother the SX60).
However it crosses that line of being bigger then my pocket so I may as well take the DSLR.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The SX530 is undoubtedly a very nice camera (I was very close to buying it's big brother the SX60).
However it crosses that line of being bigger then my pocket so I may as well take the DSLR.
DSLR is a bit too complicated for my simple mind :D So far I've found that the SX530 isn't a hindrance when I know that I'm intending to take photos and the SX610 fits nicely in my pocket for when I don't have the 520 with me :) Another advantage is that both take the same battery (y)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 about to be superceded as some sellers have no stock but the big sellers have but arnt discounting. I fancy this camera or something like it £250 is ok but a bit cheaper be better in no hurry to buy but its needed for my next trip end of December.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 about to be superceded as some sellers have no stock but the big sellers have but arnt discounting. I fancy this camera or something like it £250 is ok but a bit cheaper be better in no hurry to buy but its needed for my next trip end of December.
The TZ70 and TZ80 (and more high-end TZ100) have been released a while.

The TZ70 is £270 from John Lewis (2 year guarantee). Probably the one I'd go for if I needed a camera like that (I still love my Canon S120 because it can do this and yet fit in my pocket...)

a Solar Farm 1.jpg

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
You could always go to jessops on the pretence of buying and have a play with their display model.....then buy cheaper online.

As long as you never complain about the "Death of the British High-Street" of course.

I find that the 2 year guarantee from John Lewis offsets their higher price (when you look at what it costs to take out an extra year's guarantee elsewhere).
Also they never quibble if something goes wrong.

I strongly advise handling a camera before you buy one. You need to be sure it's something you will carry with you.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Most definitely.

SX610 now only £99.99 at Argos. Broken Link Removed
Thanks for all the contributions on this thread they've been most useful (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
SX610 now only £99.99 at Argos. Broken Link Removed
Thanks for all the contributions on this thread they've been most useful (y)
Very good at that price but whether they have it in stock is a different matter. Out of stock for home delivery and none in our local stores. As so often with Argos they leave old items on their web site at low prices to drag people in :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£99:99 on Amazon. Showing in stock(y)
Definitely worth it for anyone who wants a good pocket camera. The photos in Link Removed were taken with mine this morning. The only post-processing I did was to reduce the size to fit better on the forum (and our own web site).

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Shows as Out of Stock - so I hope you managed to grab one at that price.
Yes, I got a white one from Swindon this morning, all other stores within 50miles out of stock.
I had to do a site inspection this morning so it was only a 10 min detour :)

It's a Christmas present for my daughter. She's currently using a £50 Samsung that's just rubbish.
She takes the best pictures on holiday, all from a kid's perspective - I want to encourage her and capture the moments as well as possible.
A bridge camera or slr is too heavy, hopefully this canon will tide her over for the next few years

I'm not much of an Argos fan but once in a while the do get some genuine deals...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back