LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm about half way too. It's a great book and I agree about the emotional roller coaster.

It's almost unimaginable that this is a true account. OK there will be some slight changes, but people in extreme situations can usually recall everything, with almost exact precision, in minute detail. Also those in extreme sports - such as climbing, motorsports etc - have phenomenal recall, they need it to be able to visualise and plan every move ahead of time. And as for physical and mental stamina... phenomenal.
(I don't think I'm giving anything away??? - please tell me to stop writing if I am!)
You are making me that I cannot wait to start it now..... whey hey. :)
... and I can't wait to see what you think of it Joy!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Devotion to duty for the Funsters Book Club! - Lunchtime today (some of you will know that I'm house-and-dog-sitting near Hawkshead in the Lake District)

TtV.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@CWH glad to see you're taking this book club seriously and you must be admired for your total devotion and commitment! BTW what a view! Can think of worse places to be sitting eating lunch and reading.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Finished the book last night. Phew! I'm ready for a break. Anybody lend me a copy of See Spot Run???

60a3f969c92ee4cad2fe7655f87ec064.jpg

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'm right behind you and have just finished. Will be great yo hear what we all think of it!:)

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just wondering how we're all getting on with Octobers book? Who's still reading? Who's finished? Any ideas what we can read in November?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well I am really struggling ... can't get my kindle to download no matter what so ordered it on Amazon ... it should have been delivered LAST week ...... STILL NOT ARRIVED!!!!

I can't drive for more than couple of hours with pelvic probs at the moment so leaving on Wednesday for New Forest Meet ... looks like I may miss this month's book but still look forward to your discussions on it .. it won't spoil it for me.

Anyone going to New Forest who may be able to help with my kindle please?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just wondering how we're all getting on with Octobers book? Who's still reading? Who's finished? Any ideas what we can read in November?

Maybe YOU should decide who chooses next month's book as we all probably have loads of books we love. :)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I would like to join but I don't do electric books so choose one I can get from the library

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I would like to join but I don't do electric books so choose one I can get from the library

Hi Portland I order mine from Amazon .. you can usually get second hand ones in excellent condition. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I read it some time ago and his second book, so hopefully I can remember enough about it, otherwise might have to download it. :)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Well I am really struggling ... can't get my kindle to download no matter what so ordered it on Amazon ... it should have been delivered LAST week ...... STILL NOT ARRIVED!!!!

I can't drive for more than couple of hours with pelvic probs at the moment so leaving on Wednesday for New Forest Meet ... looks like I may miss this month's book but still look forward to your discussions on it .. it won't spoil it for me.

Anyone going to New Forest who may be able to help with my kindle please?
Hopefully it will arrive before you leave on weds, there's still a week left of October.

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Finished the book, have got to practice stringing more than three sentences together so I can review/discuss it.

For now all I will say is at one stage of reading I had to put a drop of whiskey in my cuppa, to steady the nerves.

Anne

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Can't find our copy (but found a couple of other books I didn't know we still had) but have read it so will be interested in the reviews.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Finished it!

Allan are you going to choose November's book so we can order it asap please? :)

Reactions: CWH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@REKERLY and @Debs are you interested in joining the club now that we are at the end of the first month? Know you have a lot on Debs, but we spoke on the phone about it so just letting you see the thread. xx

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Finished it!
Well done Joy! I thought you were still having trouble getting hold of it!
Allan are you going to choose November's book so we can order it asap please? :)
If all else fails can I suggest A Painted House by John Grisham? (He mostly writes US legal dramas, but every so often does something completely different, like this one, Playing for Pizza, and Bleachers.)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh boy was I..... but managed and read it till the early morning hours for two nights to make sure I finished it.. :)

Waiting for everyone's views now .. loving this thread.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Well done Joy. I've just read the reviews of the John Gresham book and it looks great. Love a good murder! So will go with this one .... Good choice @CWH

@Portland you should be able to get this from the library I think. If you want to check on Monday and let us know then we can go for this one.

If we've all finished let's start the reviews and discussion!

Loren

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I Will look on Monday and post back. Many thanks I really enjoy Grisham

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'll kick off then...
Please remember that I'm used to 'formal' writing and not much use at 'chatty' stuff, so do forgive me if I come over all 'proper'!!! :rolleyes:

Having read Touching the Void many years ago, I knew that I was in for a bit of a roller-coaster of a read but also that the read would alternate between terror, despair, and fatalism – there was to be no light relief. ‘Things’ might go according to plan; but they would never go well.

While re-reading the book I realised that the writing style is exceptional; articulate, fluent, descriptive, emotive, exciting yet somehow matter-of-fact; in fact, very professional, and if I hadn’t known that Joe Simpson now works as a writer and motivational speaker, and has written novels as well as climbing books, I would have assumed that he had a ghost writer.

This is a book not for the faint-hearted, but I think it would appeal to those adventurous in spirit as well as to those who actually take part in extreme sports. As a tale of survival against the odds, it’s utterly remarkable. Both Simpson and Yates relate in a somewhat detached manner their emotional struggle, and both are candid about their changing feelings towards each other: guilt, blame, finally enduring friendship; and the certainty of death stalking their descent from the mountain adds a piquancy which ensured that a film would follow publication of the book.

I have an enduring question though: Does Joe Simpson think that the voice which talks to him is a god or other spiritual ‘helper’? Personally I think it’s his own conscience and instinct, the way we all (I think) have internal conversations but in this case, subconsciously and with one side of the conversation much stronger than the other.

What do you think?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow can't better that.. brilliant @CWH ..

Well I read this with trepidation as really not into mountaineering ...plus one of my favourite books is the book I have already commented on re the failed Mallory attempt on Everest ..Into the Silence .. I couldn't see how this could compare.

In fact it did not need to .. it was written in a completely different style and so comparison would have been impossible.

I started out wishing that I had learned more about the character, Joe, as a person BEFORE the ascent so that I could feel more empathy .. but I need not have worried .. my affection for him grew.

I thought 'the voice' was his conscience but a part of me believes that our conscience is the God within us. . The strength we have to call upon in times of fear, illness, bereavement.

I never once felt that there was anything for Simon to feel guilty about ................BUT one thing that I felt was strange .... there was no mention of Joe ever feeling at any point that HE should have cut the rope so that he did not pull Simon to his death. I think I would have cut the rope sooner had I been Joe rather than risk killing Simon.

Succinctly, really enjoyed it but not as much as the Wade Davis one despite this being more of a personal first person perspective than factually educational.

Will definitely pass it on to a friend to read.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Will order the Grisham one mow .. this club not going my way lol .... not a Grisham fan but will partake and read it ... really enjoying the fact that this seems to be taking off.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Will order the Grisham one mow .. this club not going my way lol .... not a Grisham fan but will partake and read it ... really enjoying the fact that this seems to be taking off.
It's not a typical Grisham, Joy.....

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I thought 'the voice' was his conscience but a part of me believes that our conscience is the God within us. . The strength we have to call upon in times of fear, illness, bereavement.
I think I agree with you - it depends on how you interpret 'god/ God'. I have two SiL's who are both priests, and neither of them believe that there is a 'being' which we call 'god', but that 'god-ness' is an internal sense of rightness and community - or, as you say, strength.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back