Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Hi I've. Posted some images on the intro page but first time on here.
Purchased a VW LT, swb which will be used to tow my race car in November last year. Sleeping in a tent at meetings last year in October finalised the decision.
Started work on the van beginning of December, I wanted minimal design as some of the conversions I looked at just pack so so much in and also keep the weight down.
Other design brief was ability to get light motorbike in as will be taking it over to Isle of Man for the bike racing with the bike.
The design has evolved but more with the style / quality of fittings.
What drived me to do self build well Ile have all new fixtures and fittings, it will look fresh and a reliable van (done 400 miles before starting build) for total £3500 - £4000.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
I've spent some time researching as never done anything like this before thank god for the Internaet and forums !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Ime not sure how long it should take but hoping to get completed by April.
The problem is you learn as you go along and set your expectation higher so silly little mistakes you make you know you wouldn't on the next one.
Not sure what to do with the cab area yet, the original headlining is stained but don't feel confident in trimming with all the curves.
Got some black leather which Ile use to bring the cab more in line with the rest of the van.
Then it's on to the paintwork, going to design some graphics just not sure what yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Bit more progress yesterday, door trims now made (still to be fitted as waiting for fixings). Doors now finished and fitted, still got to fit catches but need to buy new drill as bearings gone and doesn't now drill true so not trusting it on the doors.
Ime now at the stage of moving to the cab area as i need to fit the leisure battery and run the charging wires through the bulkhead. Cab will mostly be trimmed in black leather only as I have some (I've actually had it for 30 years so about time I used it). Had a spare hour this afternoon so I through caution to the wind and covered the headlining. I was dreading this job as Ime certainly no trimmer, it presently looks ok so fingers crossed it will be ok. I've just got the b pillars to cover now.
I need to keep the three seats in the front but not sure how to make best use of the passengers seat box I was thinking of using the space to store the thermal screens but have to look at what access I can get without weakening the box.
I've also got to design the pull out bed as well, mocked up metal frame but needs more thought.
Looking forward to designing the graphics and getting the paint on the van, it's having a grey roof and side graphics matching with a little twist here and there.
I've been working on it since beginning of December but finish is in sight now, it all the little fiddly bits now then finally get the alloy wheels and tow bar fitted.

Regards Mark

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just a quick update the wiring is now completed fitted leisure battery under drivers seat along with battery charger and charging magic box. Seat adjustment is compromised but is fine for me and the Mrs. It's in a proper battery box so will be secure and safe. Only concern I have is if I need to disconnect quickly so looking at putting in line switch of some sort easily accessible.
Had the loom made up to my spec (12v and 240) it wasn't hugely expensive and I know it's right and it all works.
Made the centre light this weekend as well - look familiar it's old Ford Pop 5" headlamp glass picked up from eBay for £2, cheap light from eBay again married the two together, total cost about £10.
Waiting on some gas fitting for final fix of sink/hob so that should be done this week, more finishing bits and bobs to do and put the cab back together (headlining etc). Now at the stage we're day spent will sort these.
Got the paint last week so hope to have some time next weekend prepping for paint.
Finally the race car is also coming together now, body is coming of going away to be painted and chassis finished. Finish one project straight onto another.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 87

oneflewover

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
Leeds
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks for taking the time to post, you've put a lot of hard work in. For newbies like me, all posts are full of ideas! Keep up the good work.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Lot of hard work gone into that,plus the race car,see you on the Island and you can get a rest then,kind of !!!
Well done.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 97755 View attachment 97755 Just a quick update the wiring is now completed fitted leisure battery under drivers seat along with battery charger and charging magic box. Seat adjustment is compromised but is fine for me and the Mrs. It's in a proper battery box so will be secure and safe. Only concern I have is if I need to disconnect quickly so looking at putting in line switch of some sort easily accessible.
Had the loom made up to my spec (12v and 240) it wasn't hugely expensive and I know it's right and it all works.
Made the centre light this weekend as well - look familiar it's old Ford Pop 5" headlamp glass picked up from eBay for £2, cheap light from eBay again married the two together, total cost about £10.
Waiting on some gas fitting for final fix of sink/hob so that should be done this week, more finishing bits and bobs to do and put the cab back together (headlining etc). Now at the stage we're day spent will sort these.
Got the paint last week so hope to have some time next weekend prepping for paint.
Finally the race car is also coming together now, body is coming of going away to be painted and chassis finished. Finish one project straight onto another.
Excellent &all coming together. (y)

OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Hi just a quick update and apologies but no images (keep forgetting to take phone to the coach house).
So cab is not sorted headlining in, made carpet and fitted. Ile do something with the door panels but that can wait for now. Carpet certainly transforms it and £9 of eBay good bargain.
Gas all finished and kitchen unit finished as well.
Made interior side door handle extension as wasn't long enough and it works !
So now I've turned my attention to bodywork van is in good condition but there were some scrapes to the roof and ding side panel. So weekend was spent crawling around on the roof rubbing down and priming. Sprayed the base coat yesterday but just couldn't get enough heat in the coach house to clear coat (did try one coat but wasn't going to work). Tried fan heater left on all day inside the van to heat the panels up trouble was my insulation works to well Windows and roof vent nice and warm but not spraying them. I also used space heater but had to turn all off when spraying. It's going to be sprayed one night this week as I don't want to wait for weather to improve, Ile hopefully get enough clear coat on to be able to wet flat and polish up or even leave it semi gloss. Using single pack lacquer. I don't know what the paint will be like £25 of e bay 2.5lts but covers well with good opacity. Total cost to paint (including clear coat) was about £100 and if I wanted to I've got enough material to respray the total van. That's got to be a bargain !
Switch should be here this week for 12v electrics so I can switch of in emergency I can then bolt the seat back and even drive it !
Weekend will be making the bed frame still not quite sure how to do this, looked up on the internet so got some ideas but need to work it through. I keep leaving it as it's the last piece of construction and as always with these projects I get to the point were I have to push myself for the last bits of the jigsaw.
Now looking at security - what works best alarms, visual deter ants, disconnect battery, additional door locks ???
Now we're to we go and try it Wales sounds good !
Ile post some images at the weekend

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Your doing a fab job. Love the retro light.
Ralph built our "Pug". I know he would have killed for a lovely big inside space like yours to convert him. It probably wouldn't have taken him as long either, as the weather stopped him many a day !
He put a build blog in the self build section on here.

OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
image.jpeg
Managed to get the van in clear coat last night, 2 dry coats and one wet ideally I would have put another wet coat on but looked OK and didn't want to chance it. Ile give it a polish and if necessary I can always spay a couple more coats of clear in the summer.
Black vinyl bib for the bonnet and now I want the wheels fitted time for some bling !
Weekend is sorting the bed out and couple of little jobs. So then it's curtains and upholstery don't know what to do really might just give it a go myself. Having done everything else it would be nice to do the last major job but sometimes you need to know your limitations. There's a upholster in Stockport that advertises so might get a quote first.
Been sorting out the receipts etc I seem to have been continuously buying parts for it but adding it up pleasently surprised but don't count the labour !

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
You are doing a really good job there, love the paint work, thank you for sharing:dogthanks:

OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
Enclosed some updated images

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion
Exp
I've started making the frame for the pull out bed. Making 4 separate metal frames with chrome legs that the wooden slats will be fixed to (each alternative one). Made one of the frames and will start on the others when this one is completed and made sure it works as a design. Finished the gas cupboard now as well just need to seal the lid. Also sealed up underneath were the vents etc are.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 41
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
GP it looks like you are doing a brilliant job and I love your paintwork, do you fancy popping over to the Newtown region of Powys to see to my Renault Master's sad paintwork?

On another note, it would be brilliant to see you over on the new singing and dancing (FREE) forum we have just set up with Jim, so if you click onto it would be absolutely brilliant to see you over there as well as sharing your undoubted knowledge as an almost founder of the new site.

All the very best

Phil

OP
OP
G

Gasser pop

Free Member
Jan 10, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Can conversion